Escape Customer Service Problem cost us over $300 :/ - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I thought the 5.0 that Reace took cross-country to fix the bursting hot water lines in the new 21's was theirs? It was put up for sale on the forum at some point after they departed ETI. Tammy's parents also owned/own one.
The couple that bought Rease and Tammy's 5th wheel are local to me and they attended the Fort Casey rally a couple weeks ago.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:05 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
The couple that bought Rease and Tammy's 5th wheel are local to me and they attended the Fort Casey rally a couple weeks ago.
Reace couldn't find a hitch for his helicopter.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #43

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17B (pickup Aug 2023)
Whenever ordering parts for anything, whether those parts are auto parts, appliance parts, HVAC parts, lawn equipment parts, trailer parts, etc. it is always best to get the actual part number off the old part. And many times those old parts are obsolete and superceded with new part numbers.

I hate to break it to you, but any assistance regarding part numbers given by manufacturers, dealers, or distributors should be considered a courtesy only. Anyone in the manufacturing and equipment servicing sector recognizes the responsibility for ordering the correct part ultimately rests with the purchaser.

If you can, send the incorrect window back, exchange it for the right one, and be happy you aren't dealing with a stick built trailer manufacturer.
mk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:42 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk10 View Post
Whenever ordering parts for anything, whether those parts are auto parts, appliance parts, HVAC parts, lawn equipment parts, trailer parts, etc. it is always best to get the actual part number off the old part. And many times those old parts are obsolete and superceded with new part numbers.

I hate to break it to you, but any assistance regarding part numbers given by manufacturers, dealers, or distributors should be considered a courtesy only. Anyone in the manufacturing and equipment servicing sector recognizes the responsibility for ordering the correct part ultimately rests with the purchaser.

If you can, send the incorrect window back, exchange it for the right one, and be happy you aren't dealing with a stick built trailer manufacturer.
You better believe, if I call Toyota with my year and model number, they’d better send me the correct part, number or not. Cripes, is it too much to ask that the company knows their product? Wouldn’t they know to ask the customer for some basic info? I’ve had two stick builts and have received pretty prompt service from both vendors. I’ve also had decent service from Escape. No better, no worse. It’s like stick built is an f-word around here.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:55 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Reace couldn't find a hitch for his helicopter.
Hi: gbaglo... Sure hope the window of opportunity for this thread is over. My complaint about windows is our loft window started to leak. I paid a $100. bucks for a glass co. to come out and R&R it and reseal it. Why should I have to pay for this service on my 2014 Escape trailer? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:40 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Tammy and Reace didn't own one. Why would they?
They actually owned several over the years. I know someone who purchased the R&T 5.0SA. Perhaps everyone missed the 'good bye' message from Reace where he described selling their 5.0TA and his Ford F-150 because they needed a bigger truck due to Tammy's horse trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:12 PM   #47

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17B (pickup Aug 2023)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
You better believe, if I call Toyota with my year and model number, they’d better send me the correct part, number or not.
And if they didn't and you received the wrong part, what would happen?

I don't know about you, but most people would just call and have them send the correct part.
mk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:01 PM   #48

Trailer: 22' 17B
Is there is way to return the window then? Even if a restocking fee is charged this would seem like the best realistic option. Otherwise, you could try to sell it on the third party market to recoup at least a chunk of the cost. I know this doesnt resolve your issue with ETI's customer service.

I agree with others that they should be making s note somewhere of what brand and model number window was installed. If they did, but the information was no longer relevant due to new ownership crossing their wires than I cant see this as ETI's fault, although good customer service includes a healthy dose if sympathy and apologies for your troubles and good wishes in resolving the issue with the window company.
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:47 AM   #49

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a little confused. The window is now installed. Is there another problem aside from it not being the same brand?

Ron
no the window isn't installed. it can't be installed as it's not the correct window. it's a completely different mounting style. Escape told us that we can take apart the wall of the camper, add thickness to the wall with lumber and then install this window, but that's not an acceptable solution to us. we'd rather swallow the money and buy the correct window.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As already mentioned, Lippert acquired Hehr, so the direct replacement for a Hehr window would come from Lippert. The configuration is apparently wrong, but other than that was the replacement information from ETI actually incorrect, or is it the correct series of window with the current brand since there is no Hehr any more?

It's also not clear to me from this thread whether the window has been replaced.
sorry no, the window cannot be used without disassembling the camper wall, adding lumber to make some kind of new window mounting assembly, and then mounting this incorrect window. so lots of effort to retrofit something that obviously doesn't go. we're not going to do this, we're just going to buy the correct one. i'm just frustrated that Escape gave me the incorrect part and now we have to swallow the loss :/
Old 05-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
That is unfortunate, is it possible to send it back to Lipppert/Hehr ? Is it possible the Lippert erred or made changes in their stock numbers when Lippert bought Hehr ?

The service department does work differently now. We have a function issue with our escape hatch window that was scheduled twice for adjustment or exchange : first reschedule was due to health issue and a need to reschedule, the next appt. was canceled due to covid and was to be to rescheduled when the service department was open again ... but then last year we were told they will no longer adjust or exchange. the window ... some things have changed.
unfortunately no. Lippert informed us that the reason they specifically ask a buyer to ask the manufacturer for a part number is because they assume no liability for incorrect parts. so we just have to...i guess throw this window away and buy a new one
Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I don't see any mention of the window being installed.
that's right, it's not. we're not willing to rebuild the camper wall and window assembly in order to hang an incorrect window that will still look like an incorrect retrofit. i'd rather buy another window at our loss.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Really? I didn't see any indication of what information was given to ETI, but if the current owners are the original owners, ETI knows exactly what trailer this is and should know exactly what windows they installed in it.
we are the original owners. it went like this "hi escape, our window of our 2018 trailer is fogged, what should we do?" "you should call Lippert for a replacement, here's the phone number." "hi again escape, Lippert says I need a specific part number for our replacement window for our 2018 E21 foot." "here's the exact part number you need."

I completely accept my responsibility that I should've checked the brand myself, but in this interaction there was no indication that Escape wasn't 100% reliable on telling me who I needed to call and what part I needed so I didn't think to question it. Won't happen again though! Honestly though if I pull a rusted doohickey out of the water heater, for example, and I call Escape to find out what I need to replace it with, should I really be having to look for a part number to confirm they're correct? I don't think so, but I certainly will try from here on out.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #54

Quote:
ETI did not make a mistake. They were not given the information they would need to make a mistake.

Happens on these forums all the time. Somebody asks what fuse to use and doesn't specify the trailer, the year or what appliance the fuse serves. It's unfortunate, but it's not a 'mistake'.
I mean, in all fairness I did. I specified each time I spoke with Escape that it was a 2018 and which model.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:04 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Sounds like negligence to me, and a stand-up company should make good on their mistake, but they are not. And the prospect of suing in Canada over $300 is daunting. You are stuck, and it seems appropriate for you (and anyone else) to have a lower opinion of ETI because of this incident.

$300 is nickel-and-dime stuff for a company of that sort (and its parent company). Actions speak louder than words. Character shows, whether good or not so good.
That's how I feel about it. I'm not suing anyone for $300, international or not, even though my husband is a lawyer. $300 won't kill us fortunately, but it shook my confidence in them a little. Especially since they blamed the mistake on the change in ownership and structure. Makes me concerned for the future of the stellar customer service reputation of the country.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #56

Quote:
No ETI doesn't pay me or even know who I am. I've never talked to Karl. I just get irked when people ( not just on this forum ) blame whatever misfortune on others.

Gas prices are up. That must be JohnK's fault. It's tiresome.
I absolutely agree with this sentiment. I definitely have an internal locus of control and agree that blaming others for our problems doesn't help anyone.

But we're not talking psychology here We're talking customer service. I gave them all of the information they needed, which window, which year, which model. If they needed me to provide them with the brand of our windows, I would expect them to ask rather than take a random guess at which brand we had and give us a part number. How is that appropriate? It's not and they've acknowledged their mistake. It's fine, things happen, really no big deal. It's the part after that which affects my confidence in them.

In *this* specific situation, Escape actually accepted that it was their error and told us that because of the change in ownership it made it hard for them to find the information they needed, and that was the cause of their error. We feel that in a situation like this, while no one is angry, the company who has acknowledged that although they had all the information from us that they needed, *they* were not able to find the information they needed, that they should absorb the expense. Somehow they just decided to throw a random part at us with 100% certainty when the truth was that they didn't know. I don't agree with this as a business practice, nor do I agree with their handling of our financial loss because of their mistake.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
We had a similar bad experience with customer service, so you do not have to feel alone as others have also been affected by the policies of the new ownership.

We noted a few minor items that needed warranty repair and were told we could bring the trailer up when COVID travel restrictions were lifted (we live within a days drive of Chilliwack). As soon as restrictions were lifted I contacted Escape customer service and they told me that they had no record of my issues, even though I asked during previous calls that my claims were noted in the system and was told there were.

It was likely less than $50 in parts, but the money was not the point. The point was they told us one thing, then went back on their promise. As one member points out, it is important to not let it interfere with your camping fun. While this issue really bothered me, I finally had to realize that companies change hands and while I'd like to believe they keep their word, they often do not. We also have a new 21C on order (going up from a 19), but we are being very careful and are going to go over the buying contract in detail so we understand exactly what Escape is responsible for directly and what the accessory suppliers like Dometic are responsible for, and I don't care if we are there all day going over it.

I also sent an email to Karl requesting that the factory honor the commitment to install options that were deferred on the original order (e.g. undercarriage spray foam insulation) or at least provide a 6 to 12 month "last call" option for those who were told we could always bring the trailer back and have it installed (assuming it could be done after assembly). His answer was simply we have too many orders and needed to expand assembly space. He is entitled to do that if he wants, but he also dodged my question by never really answering it, so there are some of us who are not enamored with the new leadership. However, I still trust most of the employees there to do a great job as long as Karl is not substituting cheap building material to save a buck or two, they will still build a great trailer.

Your situation definitely sucks, and most companies out there would probably do something about it and it is a shame Escape is not. Time will tell if their new customer support philosophy is going to work or not. Best of luck to you.
thanks for telling me about your situation! i understand that there are certain "growing pains" but nobody wants to be told "i'm sorry but we're too busy to keep our word." :/

so help me understand, you had both warranty issues that they failed to document and also issues with construction of the new one? is undercarriage spray no longer an option and that's why they won't do it? i'd love to understand more about this problem with the new order as we were planning on ordering a new one prior to this concern over maybe wanting to keep an eye first on how things go with new ownership.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Is this a Canadian English vs American English thing?

Customer states "We got the window in and not only is it the incorrect hanging style IT'S THE WRONG BRAND."

In the US, "getting an item in" often means "the item came in" or "we received the item".
you're correct. i'm sorry i didn't make it more clear. we received the window and it's not the correct one. we're also not willing to disassemble and reframe the camper to make a fonky looking retrofit of the incorrect window that would be hung differently from even the window it's paired with (it's the double window beside the bed in the 21 foot). the window is in a box. it's not installed and can't be installed without major construction
Old 05-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Questions ?
Did you take a picture of the existing window and note the brand on it before you contacted the company? If not you bear some responsibility for the mistake by assuming they had good records from the previous owners build . If you did all that and got the wrong window I might be more upset, if not then there’s mistakes on both sides. I assume you ordered the window . I’d return it and get the right one if I could. We all
Expect perfection, people are human and make mistakes.
hi! no i didn't inspect the window myself. in the future i'll do my best to do this on my own when a part number is visible, and certaintly could have for this window, it just never felt like there was a need. i called escape and asked what to do about our foggy window and they said call Lippert for a replacement, i called lippert who said call escape for a part number, so i emailed them all of our info and they sent me the part number. i guess if i felt at any point like there was uncertainty i wouldn't verified the information that i could on my own, it just felt like such a streamlined process it didn't occur to me. there are many parts on a camper that i feel like i could not verify a brand or part number on my own (look around, there are lots of parts!) but on this one i could've. hopefully they don't make this mistake often. or at least learn how to look up information before giving it out (they admitted they were not able to do this, which is why they told us the wrong one)

i unfortunately cannot return the window. Lippert specifically requires that you call the manufacturer for a part number before ordering. so when i called about returns they directed me to Escape as liable for the mistaken part number and they would not accept the return.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
OP - Sorry it happened to you. You will unfortunately not get a relief from ETI and have little choice but to suck it up.

On account for our own experience and those of others on the forum that we have read about - it is safe to say that ETI management’s commitment to customer service is not very high. So, what you got is exactly what I expect.

It is quite unfortunate that there is a strand of the forum that feels the need to argue ETI’s corner irrespective of the merits of the issue, but that’s just what it is. You need to take that in stride as well.
Thank you maybe it's hard to communicate the exact issue to some people, but knowing the details of the situation we have lost respect for the company's customer service after this. we've raved for years when showing our camper to others about their customer service as a major selling point. it's why we drove from the Gulf Coast to BC to get one really. and it's just disappointing in general when a company makes a mistake and doesn't fix it, let alone one whose customer service you held in such high regard.