Escape Customer Service Problem cost us over $300 :/ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Escape Customer Service Problem cost us over $300 :/

A few months ago we emailed Escape to request information on how to get a replacement window for our 2018 camper. They sent us the Lippert number and told us to deal with them directly. At Lippert's request, we emailed Escape and received the exact part number for the window. We confirmed all along the way which window, which side etc to confirm we had the right one. We got the window in and not only is it the incorrect hanging style IT'S THE WRONG BRAND. Now, I know this is dumb, but we never took notice that the windows are Hehr, because from the outset Escape told us who to contact and exactly which part number to order from Lippert.

We contacted service and was told basically, "sorry, sucks for you, we just switched owners so we got mixed up." Then they tried to tell my husband how to remove the entire wall, rebuild the frame, and then use the window we ordered. Our response is hell no we're not disassembling the wall and reframing the window, we are going to get the correct one.

Now, OUR opinion is that Escape is responsible for this situation because they gave us the company name, phone number, and part number to order. They're saying, sorry we're under new ownership and we messed up, but it's your loss.

I have a big problem with this as customer service was one of the big reasons we chose Escape. In fact, we were going to sell our current Escape and order a new one, but after experiencing this decline in quality of service advice and customer service, we're holding onto our 2018 as production quality may very well decline with the new ownership if they're going to run it like that.

What are your thoughts? Should we press Escape to accept responsibility? As a side note, are you nervous about the company and product going forward? Would it be better to buy a new one ASAP before too much can change, or better to wait it out and see how the new ones go?
Old 05-16-2022, 12:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Companies are acquiring other companies all the time. Next time you need something replaced, best to examine it for brand and part number and check your appliance manual.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Companies are acquiring other companies all the time. Next time you need something replaced, best to examine it for brand and part number and check your appliance manual.
Definitely will! We've learned our lesson. As on top of things as Escape always was before I blindly trusted their info even though that's not what I'd normally do. I am surprised though that after multiple exchanges giving us incorrect info they let us absorb the cost.

I'm really hoping they stay a great company. It would really be a shame to have to look elsewhere if they go downhill. How have things been going with the change? You're more active here than I am so I'm not up to date. We've been wondering what others were seeing who have been interacting with the company or getting new trailers.
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
How have things been going with the change?
Last time I talked to anybody at ETI was a couple years ago, or more. I deal with a local shop.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm a little confused. The window is now installed. Is there another problem aside from it not being the same brand?

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
That is unfortunate, is it possible to send it back to Lipppert/Hehr ? Is it possible the Lippert erred or made changes in their stock numbers when Lippert bought Hehr ?

The service department does work differently now. We have a function issue with our escape hatch window that was scheduled twice for adjustment or exchange : first reschedule was due to health issue and a need to reschedule, the next appt. was canceled due to covid and was to be to rescheduled when the service department was open again ... but then last year we were told they will no longer adjust or exchange. the window ... some things have changed.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sometimes you chalk it up to experience and move on, otherwise it will fester and hamper your camping enjoyment.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a little confused. The window is now installed. Is there another problem aside from it not being the same brand?
I don't see any mention of the window being installed.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Sounds like negligence to me, and a stand-up company should make good on their mistake, but they are not. And the prospect of suing in Canada over $300 is daunting. You are stuck, and it seems appropriate for you (and anyone else) to have a lower opinion of ETI because of this incident.

$300 is nickel-and-dime stuff for a company of that sort (and its parent company). Actions speak louder than words. Character shows, whether good or not so good.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As already mentioned, Lippert acquired Hehr, so the direct replacement for a Hehr window would come from Lippert. The configuration is apparently wrong, but other than that was the replacement information from ETI actually incorrect, or is it the correct series of window with the current brand since there is no Hehr any more?

It's also not clear to me from this thread whether the window has been replaced.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Sounds like negligence to me, and a stand-up company should make good on their mistake
ETI did not make a mistake. They were not given the information they would need to make a mistake.

Happens on these forums all the time. Somebody asks what fuse to use and doesn't specify the trailer, the year or what appliance the fuse serves. It's unfortunate, but it's not a 'mistake'.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Are your windows sliders or frameless? If frameless, is it the side dinette window (the non-escape hatch one)? And if so is it 20" x 30"? I ask because I have one of those windows I got from another forum member to whom Lippert sent the wrong window and then told him to just keep it rather than sending back to them (they did subsequently send the right one). He gave it to me to have as a spare, sitting in a box in my attic right now but could see about getting it shipped to you if you are just not able to get the right window.

As for the brand, back then Hehr was the company but since they were bought by Lippert the windows now say Lippert - same windows, new corporate owner.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
ETI did not make a mistake. They were not given the information they would need to make a mistake.

Happens on these forums all the time. Somebody asks what fuse to use and doesn't specify the trailer, the year or what appliance the fuse serves. It's unfortunate, but it's not a 'mistake'.
Really? I didn't see any indication of what information was given to ETI, but if the current owners are the original owners, ETI knows exactly what trailer this is and should know exactly what windows they installed in it.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Really? I didn't see any indication of what information was given to ETI, but if the current owners are the original owners, ETI knows exactly what trailer this is and should know exactly what windows they installed in it.
Really? So ETI has a stock of windows, maybe two left and they get new stock. Who's following the installer around to make notes and file them in the system?
Old 05-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Really? So ETI has a stock of windows, maybe two left and they get new stock. Who's following the installer around to make notes and file them in the system?
If they are randomly installing whatever they find in a pile of stuff somewhere, they're in real trouble. Every part needs to fit the order (including type of window) and every component source needs to be known in order to assess issues and manage recalls. Exactly how they do this is each manufacturer's challenge, but it can be as simple as a build sheet for each unit... like the one stuck inside a cabinet in the trailer, but for the manufacturer's reference.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If they are randomly installing whatever they find in a pile of stuff somewhere, they're in real trouble. Every part needs to fit the order (including type of window) and every component source needs to be known in order to assess issues and manage recalls. Exactly how they do this is each manufacturer's challenge, but it can be as simple as a build sheet for each unit... like the one stuck inside a cabinet in the trailer, but for the manufacturer's reference.
You would make a note of each and every screw too? It's a window of a certain size to fit a certain trailer and it fit.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
You would make a note of each and every screw too? It's a window of a certain size to fit a certain trailer and it fit.
No because screws are commodity items - windows are not.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #18

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Thanks for posting, Southern Camper. These are issues I like to know about since I have a 5.0 on order. Seems like since this company changed hands many customer service issues are going by the wayside. As for removing the wall…that’s just ridiculous. That they even said that to you as a way to solve the problem is ludicrous!
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:

Does ETI pay you to be their apologist and blame the customer or are you just sensitive because ETI is a company local to you?

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Does ETI pay you to be their apologist and blame the customer or are you just sensitive because ETI is a company local to you?

John
No ETI doesn't pay me or even know who I am. I've never talked to Karl. I just get irked when people ( not just on this forum ) blame whatever misfortune on others.

Gas prices are up. That must be JohnK's fault. It's tiresome.