Escape hatch condensation 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Escape hatch condensation 5.0TA

Mary noticed moisture on the bedspread several times (we are in Day 2 after pickup) and when I got around to checking it out just now realized that there was a good bit of condensation built up on the inside of the hatch lid. Enough that when I opened the hatch it all ran down and then dripped down on Mary

It only makes sense to me that a thin plastic hatch lid right over two sleeping (and at least one snoring...) people in cold weather would attract condensation. When it does it is above the screen and not easily wiped off - wondering what others do about this? I'm sure sleeping with the hatch cracked open would help. I've seen foam inserts covered in fleece that could be pressed into a hatch opening in cold weather to provide an insulating barrier, but have not seen any big enough for the escape hatch, although it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make one.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
We found that cracking the hatch helps but if it rains you will get wet. I especially like the sounds and view from a fully open hatch weather and temp permitting.

Our worst condensation in cool temps is against the front wall most mornings. Even with hypervent between the mattress/pillows and the wall. I’ve been wiping that dry each morning.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I started with a square of Reflectix with a hole cut for the handle that I can stick up in there when needed. After seeing it somewhere on the forum, I made a better looking replacement that sticks to magnets hidden in the hatches trim.

You could also see what you can do to minimize air moisture.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Although we don't have the deluxe high ceiling of a 5.0TA, we always leave our MaxxFan hatch open a bit (even in rain), and have our kitchen awning window open for makeup air. Thus, condensation has been minimal or a non-issue in our 17, because of the ventilation.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We cut a piece of ensolite from a old sleeping pad, glued a piece of reflectix on both sides and wrapped the cover with thick felt. It friction fits in the opening, the felt absorbs any condensation that may occur.

In cool/cold weather at bedtime we crack open the loft windows close the maxfan cover and run it ceiling fan mode. We’ve added lots of additional insulation to the trailer over the last four years. Additional insulation behind and around the refrigerator, insulating and isolating the outside storage compartments have made the trailer noticeable warmer with less condensation. Scott

29+ bikes are like a Swiss Army knife
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Condensation

We are picking up our trailer in August. We won't be doing a lot of cold weather camping but hearing about the condensation issues is a little worrisome. How cold do the temperatures have to be to have this problem?
Luke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Pour yourself a gin and tonic with ice on a hot summer day and you will get condensation on the outside of the glass. It's the differential between the inside and outside and humidity.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Escape hatch condensation 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2 View Post
We are picking up our trailer in August. We won't be doing a lot of cold weather camping but hearing about the condensation issues is a little worrisome. How cold do the temperatures have to be to have this problem?

We have camped in Banff late in the season (below freezing and usually snowing) with little condensation, open the maxfan, leave the overhead windows crack a bit, set the thermostat to 65 degrees and this will help.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I used 2 layers of reflexit glued to the hatch. It really works good not only for condescension but also heat gain. Also covered aluminum frame with PVC board.
Attached Thumbnails
20190120_121315.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2 View Post
I'm not sure that I'd raise it to the "issue" level. Depends on a multitude of factors. Only you will know how much condensation you'll have.

I define an "issue" as a problem that others probably don't have. Everyone has to deal with condensation when you have humans breathing out moisture laden air in a confined space.

As others have indicated, one way to minimize condensation is ventilation.

We have a rigid foam insert for our hatch. Not for preventing condensation but for thermal insulation and also to block out bright overhead light if we're in a parking place with bright lights.

At any rate, a little condensation is pretty normal. If it's so bad that it's dripping on your forehead then crack a window open.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA
condensation

Thanks for all of the information. It all sounds manageable. I appreciate the photos of the insulated escape hatch! I know that we will love our trailer and am looking forward to picking it up.
Luke2 is offline   Reply With Quote