Exposed Tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 07:38 PM   #1

Trailer: In line for an Escape 5.0
Exposed Tank

After viewing a 21 we noticed the tank was vulnerable to rock damage. Has anyone had a problem or added skid plates?
AndreaLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
On all models, both the grey waste tank and the freshwater tank are under the floor and exposed (unless they are covered by the optional sprayed-on foam). The grey waste tank is ahead of the axle(s), and the freshwater tank is behind the axles(s).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaLea View Post
After viewing a 21 we noticed the tank was vulnerable to rock damage. Has anyone had a problem or added skid plates?
In July of 2018, we traveled across Labrador from the ferry from Newfoundland to Labrador City and then south to Baie-Comeau on the St. Lawrence river. Over 300 miles were on gravel roads. We had no damage to the tanks, but twice rocks were kicked up by the tires and flipped the drain valve open. I used a small piece of pool noodle taped in front of the valve to protect the valve after that.
I suspect the drain valve could be damaged when travelling on rough roads and intend to carry a replacement valve when we can schedule our trip to Alaska. Hopefully sometime in the next two - three years!
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The plastic isn't brittle, kind of soft and flexible. I have never heard of a puncture from stones.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We’ve towed about 75,000 miles total with both 19 and the 21. We have not had any problem with any of the tanks. In that time I have had three plastic pull handles on the grey and black tanks broken off. After the third one I finally wised up and replaced the handle with the cast metal job that I got a a trailer dealer for about $6. When (not if) my grey tank handle gets broken off again, I’ll go metal on it too. That’s the only undercarriage damage we’ve experienced in 8 years of Escape ownership. Those plastic tanks are pretty tough. I have replaced drain valves when they get very hard to turn and the plastic “ears” twist off.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The optional undercarriage spray will protect your tanks with foam.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Just worth pointing out, water tanks mounted underneath RV trailers is the 100% normal approach across the entire industry. I've never heard of anyone having problems with damage to tanks. I'd say unless you are looking to off-road with a trailer this is probably not a concern.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
only tanks that i have heard that get damaged frequently are live-in horse trailer fresh water tanks. The tanks are very low and any uneven ground will puncture them. Never had an issue with my escapes.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Just worth pointing out, water tanks mounted underneath RV trailers is the 100% normal approach across the entire industry. I've never heard of anyone having problems with damage to tanks. I'd say unless you are looking to off-road with a trailer this is probably not a concern.
And the "cover" most RV manufacturers use is usually Coroplast, a material that will not stop any debris serious enough to damage a tank.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Coroplast (or similar material) which is commonly used to enclose the underside of trailers won't stop a big rock, but damage can be the accumulated effect of many small stones. Most Escapes are relatively new, and don't have tank damage issues, but when we bought our 25 year old Boler the grey waste tank (same material and placement as an Escape grey waste tank) had a rupture in the front side, clearly the result of many rocks; I doubt it had ever been taken off-road (it doesn't have enough ground clearance), but it was likely towed on gravel roads. I repaired it and added a rubber mudflap guard.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote