External Propane Quick Connect - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
External Propane Quick Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Still messing with ours to get it set up. Have a quick connect hose from our old trailer and just ordered a quick connect brass valve part with male 1/4" threads and male quick connect which MAY screw directly into the flame control valve on our new Weber Q 1000 and MAYBE fit our quick connect hose, maybe. IF, that is IF it works, I will celebrate the end of this project for total of $2.59 plus the cost of the Weber Q1000! Tried to get the same part for our old Solaire grill which I really like better but we have a very old grill with metric fittings and cannot find a quick connect to make it work. This project has been going on for about a year now and it is about time that I get something to work! Arrrgh. The grill Gods have cursed me on this one.

Lorin all you need is a couple of fittings on the Weber after you remove its regulator, I put a Quick disconnect on my hose for convenience. All parts found at my little Home Hardware store in town here. I’ve attached some photos, Hope this helps. Once you get it working you might have to BBQ something to appease the grill Gods [emoji6].
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4465.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	37827Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4466.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	37828Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4467.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	37829
Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have used many different high pressure setups and all did what they needed to, however since going to the LPQC I just love it. The convenience both in setting up, and not needing to deal with extra bottles, especially those darn disposable ones, is fantastic. I use it for our outdoor BBQ, stove and firepit, and can use any two at once. I carry a 12',10' and 3' hose along with a splitter so can set up a good distance from the trailer.

I do carry a spare regulator and hose if I should ever wish to use an appliance away from the trailer, and just take one of the 20lb bottles to do so. I think I have only done this 3 times in 10 years though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I do carry a spare regulator and hose if I should ever wish to use an appliance away from the trailer, and just take one of the 20lb bottles to do so. I think I have only done this 3 times in 10 years though.

Good idea! I like this... It's on my to do list.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
me too! but its just that i really don't understand the fittings etc... bought many items never seem to get it right!
I remember those discussions...
Some people just are not a natural match with some subjects. Maybe you can meet up with someone who has the same appliances (at a rally, locally where you live, or just at a campground somewhere) and have them show you the exact parts and how they go together.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:20 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 F250
When I meet Escape owners who ordered the quick connection option at least 1/3 indicated the never use it.

The regulator issue mentioned earlier is very important. When I see eyed major grill manufacturers about removing the requlator they all said no. That being said it may work.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Richie View Post

The regulator issue mentioned earlier is very important. When I see eyed major grill manufacturers about removing the requlator they all said no. That being said it may work.

I wouldn’t expect your average grill manufacturer representative to provide a correct answer as to such modification for two reasons: liability, and failure to understand that you’re not removing the regulator and then supplying unregulated LP, but rather removing the regulator and using a different regulator (the trailer’s) because the second one (the grill’s, oven’s, firepit’s, etc) is superfluous.

It not only may work, it does work. Except with certain specific devices that require different LP pressures than the 11-12 wc “ that the trailer nominally puts out. There are a couple specific grills, but I forget which ones. The majority of items work splendidly though.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Richie View Post
When I meet Escape owners who ordered the quick connection option at least 1/3 indicated the never use it.

I would bet that for the most part those not using it do not fully understand what is needed to get appliances working on it, just expecting plug and play. I have helped a couple people now get set up with their appliances, or in selecting which ones will work.

I agree that in most cases contacting the manufacturer will not get you good results, only a few like marine manufacturers actually are set up to provide what you need. Dickinson provides a volume control to swap out for the regulator control.

With many it is just a simple matter of removing the regulator line and installing either a low pressure fitting or tying the low pressure hose right into the appliance, which I did for both my Camp Chef Ranger II stove and my Outlander FireBowl.

As long as the regulator can be removed, and the appliance works on 11" Water Column it can easily be adapted. One BBQ I like, though don't own, and have set up for a couple people now on low pressure is the Napoleon double burner. It is not a direct setup as the trailer low pressure system using 3/8" flair fittings and it has a 1/4" flare fitting that needs to be adapted to.

Another handy device I have built a few of now is a splitter, that allows two appliances to be used at once, which is simply a male QC fitting going into a tee, with two female QC fittings coming out.

The bottom line is that if you wish to use a LPQC system, there are plenty of options out the to get it up and running so you can enjoy its convenience. If you decide to stay with one of the various high pressure setups and your steak still comes off the grill cooked nice, all is great with that too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Our 2015 5.0 TA with the quick disconnect option came with the necessary fittings to connect to our Weber Q grill after removing its regulator. We love the outside connector and use it for the grill often. As others have said, you don’t need to mess with the small gas bottles. That said, we bring a small propane tank for the fireplace. I can better keep track of how much propane is in the 20 lb tanks.
Charlie
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Don’t have it and don’t want it. Prefer to use the trailer propane for heating and cooking only. Accessories can go through a lot of propane quickly, Carry two low profile 10 pound tanks for the fire pit.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Don’t have it and don’t want it. Prefer to use the trailer propane for heating and cooking only. Accessories can go through a lot of propane quickly, Carry two low profile 10 pound tanks for the fire pit.
Of course everybody has their own reasons for doing what they do. My propane devices use exactly the same amount of fuel whether I bring along small supplementary tanks or if I use the 2 tanks on the front of my trailer through the quick connect fitting. To me, it makes most sense to not carry extra tanks along with me when I travel, so I stick with the tanks on the front of my trailer. Using the larger trailer tanks I will have to refill the tanks less frequently that if I brought smaller 10 lb tanks along. Gives me more time to enjoy good food, drink and company on my travels.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Of course everybody has their own reasons for doing what they do. My propane devices use exactly the same amount of fuel whether I bring along small supplementary tanks or if I use the 2 tanks on the front of my trailer through the quick connect fitting. To me, it makes most sense to not carry extra tanks along with me when I travel, so I stick with the tanks on the front of my trailer. Using the larger trailer tanks I will have to refill the tanks less frequently that if I brought smaller 10 lb tanks along. Gives me more time to enjoy good food, drink and company on my travels.
Prexactly!

A 10 lb bottle could run out mid-use with no backup short of removing one from the trailer. I always have at a bare minimum one full 20 lb bottle at any time, and usually way more. Besides, I want to carry as little extra as necessary, and don't really want to carry bottles in the bed or back seat of the truck.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Everybody camps a little differently. I could not precisely say how much propane is on our Escape right now. I know that I have 20 plus pounds out of a possible 51. I’ll be out about 8 nights before we leave for Osoyoos. I’ll have plenty for those 8 nights. In my prep for Osoyoos, I’ll drop by the Hardware store and fill or top off the three tanks I carry. Not only do different folks have different camping styles they also have non camping lifestyles that help or hinder their day to day camping equipment preparation and maintenance. My favorite hardware store is staffed by old guys who are happy to get outside and put 5 lbs of propane in a 20 lb tank. And the Dairy Queen is just down the street. It’s part of being retired for me.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Thanks

Thanks for the discussion on pizza ovens. We got the Ooni Koda, practiced with it and had the whole family over to make Easter pizzas. It was a lot of fun! I don't think we would regularly take it in the trailer unless we were planning a meal for a bunch of people, but that could happen. You’d need lots of dough!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA 2019
Thanks for commenting! How was the pizza?
Craig.Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Great!
Old 04-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Posted to another thread on 4/6/19, but possibly useful to those following this one, here’s a picture of the Torjik Converta-Q (Version 2) installed on a 2018 Weber Q1200. It appears the regulator threads on recent Q1200 grills are now 1/8”, motivating “Version 2” of the kit, so evaluate which regulator thread size your grill uses if ordering this kit…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2466.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	38530
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #37

Trailer: Coleman Bayside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would bet that for the most part those not using it do not fully understand what is needed to get appliances working on it, just expecting plug and play. I have helped a couple people now get set up with their appliances, or in selecting which ones will work.

I agree that in most cases contacting the manufacturer will not get you good results, only a few like marine manufacturers actually are set up to provide what you need. Dickinson provides a volume control to swap out for the regulator control.

With many it is just a simple matter of removing the regulator line and installing either a low pressure fitting or tying the low pressure hose right into the appliance, which I did for both my Camp Chef Ranger II stove and my Outlander FireBowl.

As long as the regulator can be removed, and the appliance works on 11" Water Column it can easily be adapted. One BBQ I like, though don't own, and have set up for a couple people now on low pressure is the Napoleon double burner. It is not a direct setup as the trailer low pressure system using 3/8" flair fittings and it has a 1/4" flare fitting that needs to be adapted to.

Another handy device I have built a few of now is a splitter, that allows two appliances to be used at once, which is simply a male QC fitting going into a tee, with two female QC fittings coming out.

The bottom line is that if you wish to use a LPQC system, there are plenty of options out the to get it up and running so you can enjoy its convenience. If you decide to stay with one of the various high pressure setups and your steak still comes off the grill cooked nice, all is great with that too.
Jim, how involved is the conversion of the Napolean/O-grill regulator? I have the O-grill and we are raking possession of our new 19 in July. Thanks!
mdunkak is offline   Reply With Quote