external storage door catch replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
external storage door catch replacement

2014 21C; the "hold the door open" catch on the driver side exterior door broke. When I drilled out the rivets to replace the catch I discovered that the body of the rivet is buried in the glassed-in 1x2 bed support stick and cannot be pushed out. If I continue to drill I will hit the shaft of the rivet. Probably won't work well. Anyone else replaced this thing? If so, do you have a source for the new part that has the same hole spacing (new part doesn't.)
Attached Thumbnails
door catcha.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've had mixed success drilling out rivet shafts. When it's aluminum it's not usually a problem but when it's steel it doesn't usually work without the drill bit being forced sideways and elongating the hole.

I think that I'd just "excavate" the rivet remains from the 1x2 from behind rather than mess about with alternate parts.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've had mixed success drilling out rivet shafts. When it's aluminum it's not usually a problem but when it's steel it doesn't usually work without the drill bit being forced sideways and elongating the hole.

I think that I'd just "excavate" the rivet remains from the 1x2 from behind rather than mess about with alternate parts.

Ron
There is no "behind" to excavate the rivet pieces. The stick was glassed in during the mold process and the rivet holes were drilled later and do not go through. Plus one would have to pull up the bed platform plywood to get there.

Think I may just use a magnetic catch instead and fill in the ETI rivet holes.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Hatch Catch

On my 2014, there were no rivets on my hatch catch, I think the original was fastened with 2 sided tape. I have reattached mine twice. The first time, I used 2 sided tape again, after consulting with Reace. The two sided tape stretches, especially during warm weather. I got annoyed and ripped it off earlier this year, it was almost pulling off whenever I used it.

This time, I had some 3M 5200 left over from my door latch project, so I glued the original catch back on with that, but no rivets. It is rock solid now.

Maybe just glue it back on if the rivet remains are not in the way.

Edit: Possible replacements : RV Designer E211 or E209, Or maybe atlas trailer 0231-01
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:31 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I figured I'd give 3M RP45 VHB tape a try since I use 100s of feet of it each year on products. At 20 lbs per inch peel strength and exterior rated, it's worth a try.

I have a call in to ETI for right part number. On my latch, the top half broke off at the hinge. Not re-installable.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com