Extra support for bathroom wall beside bed ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019---21'
Extra support for bathroom wall beside bed ?

Working on our 21' Build Sheet and need feedback from owners regarding the need for extra support or "heavier reinforced" wall between bed area and bath. Might want to attach suction cup handle/grip to interior wall of bath. Any advice ?
k4zvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4zvu View Post
Working on our 21' Build Sheet and need feedback from owners regarding the need for extra support or "heavier reinforced" wall between bed area and bath. Might want to attach suction cup handle/grip to interior wall of bath. Any advice ?
We don't have that wall reinforced.

We mounted a couple of towel bars with double-stick tape after repeated failures of suction cup mounted devices as the fiberglass insert is too flexible. Reinforcing the wall just means adding a piece of plywood inside should you choose to screw mount items - it won't stop the fiberglass flexing unless you choose to screw through it into the reinforcement.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In my last 21 I had it reinforced and was able to install screw mounted teak towel bar in the bath and a teak assist grab on the bed side, both were screw mounted. I also was able to install a magazine rack by the bed. I plan on duplicating this set up again in my 2019 E21 on order. If you want pictures they are under Planned modifications to Blackjack thread.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We opted not to reinforce any walls due to the added weight and the fact Tammy indicated on our last trailer that reinforcing the walls really isn't necessary if you just stick to mounting where the studs are. On our last trailer we installed the Ikea towel bars in the bathroom (suction-type) and they held perfectly. Installed the same bars in our current bathroom and, so far, they're working perfectly.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I don't think reinforcing the wall will make any difference if you are going to use suction cup doodads inside the bathroom. They would help if you are looking to screw something to the wall, which I'd personally avoid doing on the inside of the bathroom. The fiberglass bathroom shell is not glued to the reinforcing plywood, it still flexes.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice...
Old 10-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice....will try and find your thread....gil
Old 10-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

Thanks Bob for the advice...gil
Old 10-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4zvu View Post
Thanks for the advice....will try and find your thread....gil
Here you go, post #222
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
Old 10-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Extra support for bathroom wall beside bed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

Off topic here, but your post has brought up a recurring issue that plagues me. Oftentimes when I click on a link in a thread that points to a different thread, clicking on it takes me somewhere completely different. In the above case, instead of going to Blackjack Mods, I end up at a ten year old thread entitled “Toilet in 15 Foot?” I’m using Tapatalk, so suspect this has something to do with it. Who is the right person(s) to look into something like this? Moderators? Webmaster?
Old 10-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #11

report it as a thread error and Janet will look into it...
Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We don’t have the reinforced bathroom wall
Wish we did !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... Oftentimes when I click on a link in a thread that points to a different thread, clicking on it takes me somewhere completely different. In the above case, instead of going to Blackjack Mods, I end up at a ten year old thread entitled “Toilet in 15 Foot?” I’m using Tapatalk, so suspect this has something to do with it.
This is a problem with Tapatalk, as I've never seen it using the web page, and I refuse to install yet another app just to read forum posts. The only connection I see between the link target and the thread which you were given is that both URLs end in "-23.html"
target: ...planned-modifications-to-blackjack-3134-23.html
result: ...toilet-in-15-foot-23.html

In the intended target, the unique identifier of the thread is "3134" and the page number chosen by Jim is "23".
In the result Scott was given by Tapatalk, the unique identifier of the thread is "23", and there is no page number specified.

It appears that Tapatalk uses faulty parsing which doesn't account for page numbers, and so is simply using the page number as the thread number (and ignoring the thread title which is also included in the URL). In the vBulletin software used for Escapeforum, it is possible to retrieve a thread with nothing but the thread ID, using "showthread.php?t=", so for instance:If this is the problem, any link which specifies a page number will be misinterpreted by Tapatalk.

Moderators/admins: please feel free to delete this post from the bathroom wall thread.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #14

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
We opted to add the plywood reinforcement in the bathroom wall for sound deadening and so that we could screw mount items on the bed side of the wall. We have mounted a swivel towel rack, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, which has worked out very well for us for drying towels and other damp items. I suppose we could have found a stud to screw into, but it was nice to not have that limitation.
BTW, sound deadening is kind of a non-issue, since there is a ventilation space above and below the bathroom door....
Nancy
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #15

Trailer: E 21 2018
We elected to have the extra support put into our new build for a couple of reasons. One was added support for screwing in hooks, etc. The other was for extra support and rigidity in the bathroom wall area. My husband is 6'2 with big elbows so the wish for firmer walls were a plus for us. It may not have been necessary, but it didn't cost a lot and we weren't too concerned about the added weight .
sehoyles is offline   Reply With Quote