“Extra Switch” wires under sink - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2022, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
“Extra Switch” wires under sink

Our 21NE has a square cutout in the very bottom cabinet under the sink (the shallow one, due to the wheel well). The trailer is new to us, and this seemed super weird given Escape’s reputation for always having some kind of rationale for why they do what they do. I reached in, and found a loose pair of wires, one red and one black, presumably for 12V power supply. There is a duct tape label on them that says “Extra Switch.” This is basically right on the other side of the wall from the power awning switch.

Anyone have any idea what this is for? Where it goes to? We do not have A/C installed, so maybe it’s a master switch for that, if we choose to install it? The wire gauge seems off though for something that’s 120v…
Attached Thumbnails
75354E68-ACFA-4CF7-ADED-1CB56EBE8101.jpg   5F8AF576-DC99-4A49-91CD-B1D49DDF31CC.jpg  
rainyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Welcome to the mystery world of Escape wiring. Before you spend too much time speculating about and tracing unterminated wires found around you camper, remember that Escape's consistent response to wiring diagram inquiries has always been, "We're working on that."

It seems that Escape trailers are wired with a combination of standard wiring harnesses and on-the-fly custom exceptions. I asked ETI for information about an unpowered, unterminated wire bundle in the upper cabinet forward of the door in our 5.0, thinking I could use it to power an LED strip light. But ETI's curt response was, "You didn't order a power awning."

Tracing wires is particularly difficult because many are run under the false bottom of upper cabinets and elsewhere where it's really difficult to figure out what's what. The downside of customized option wiring for individual trailers is that circuit tracing is a real pain.

But good luck; the more you can understand about your trailer's wiring, the more you'll be able to fix things when they break and the more you'll be able to add devices to circuits. A simple multimeter with sharp needle tips to pierce insulation is invaluable.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I'm kind of thinking that hole and the wire bundle are separate issues. I think that square cutout was maybe meant for an outdoor shower... Then they realized you didn't order it?
Old 05-31-2022, 07:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyescape View Post
Our 21NE has a square cutout in the very bottom cabinet under the sink (the shallow one, due to the wheel well). The trailer is new to us, and this seemed super weird given Escape’s reputation for always having some kind of rationale for why they do what they do. I reached in, and found a loose pair of wires, one red and one black, presumably for 12V power supply. There is a duct tape label on them that says “Extra Switch.” This is basically right on the other side of the wall from the power awning switch.

Anyone have any idea what this is for? Where it goes to? We do not have A/C installed, so maybe it’s a master switch for that, if we choose to install it? The wire gauge seems off though for something that’s 120v…
Most likely, something the original purchaser ordered as a custom option, thinking they would add an extra switch for something they imagined would need one. Then realized it wasn't needed or at least not enough to bother following though and putting one there.

Perhaps you can find someone with a 'sample' of matching wood to use to cover the hole.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I'm kind of thinking that hole and the wire bundle are separate issues. I think that square cutout was maybe meant for an outdoor shower... Then they realized you didn't order it?
This is probably the likeliest reason for the hole. The original owners did not get an outdoor shower. Perhaps the “extra switch” pair of wires just comes in the standard wire bundle but it’s rarely used? (Does everyone have this??)

Do people have master switches by the door for their A/C? Or 3-way fridge? We don’t have A/C, and we have the compressor fridge. I have heard of Escape’s nebulous wiring schemes before, I just didn’t realize it meant mystery wiring for things that don’t even exist.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:

There’s an option for an extra switch inside the trailer for exterior lights (otherwise you turn them on/off at the light). Could be what that’s for.
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
There’s an option for an extra switch inside the trailer for exterior lights (otherwise you turn them on/off at the light). Could be what that’s for.
I do have a switch inside for the exterior light, so I don’t think it’s that.

We also have neither an oven nor a microwave (nor convection oven).

I asked the previous owner and he said he did not specify this to be included.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
I do have a switch inside for the exterior light, so I don’t think it’s that.

We also have neither an oven nor a microwave (nor convection oven).

I asked the previous owner and he said he did not specify this to be included.
Does that switch only control the “porch light?” The option we ordered is an “extra switch” that controls other exterior lights too (i.e., if the trailer has the optional front and rear lights the “extra switch” would allow you to turn all the exterior lights on and off from inside the trailer from one switch).

Anyway, just a guess. Have fun with the trailer!
Old 05-31-2022, 10:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
When I put in my cooktop, I found a hot 12v feed left unconnected under the stove area. I’m guessing it was run and then when ETI did cabinetry, they realized I was a cooktop delete, but forgot about the live 12v feed. I used it to put a light in the under bed storage. When I added the DS access hatch I found 2 splices 6” apart to complete part of the wiring loom. Stuff like this may be behind all kinds of places in the trailer, but so far I have not had any electrical issues.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Does that switch only control the “porch light?” The option we ordered is an “extra switch” that controls other exterior lights too (i.e., if the trailer has the optional front and rear lights the “extra switch” would allow you to turn all the exterior lights on and off from inside the trailer from one switch).

Anyway, just a guess. Have fun with the trailer!
Oh gotcha, hmmm as far as I know it only controls the one exterior curbside light. I forgot about the one above the black/grey tank outlet. I’ll have to go look!
Old 05-31-2022, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
When I put in my cooktop, I found a hot 12v feed left unconnected under the stove area. I’m guessing it was run and then when ETI did cabinetry, they realized I was a cooktop delete, but forgot about the live 12v feed. I used it to put a light in the under bed storage. When I added the DS access hatch I found 2 splices 6” apart to complete part of the wiring loom. Stuff like this may be behind all kinds of places in the trailer, but so far I have not had any electrical issues.
Yikes! That’s exciting. We do have a cooktop (the dreaded Suburban 2 burner flush mount) and I saw it’s wiring was hooked up properly.

I didn’t even think to see if the wires were hot, I’ll have to check that…
Old 05-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Oh gotcha, hmmm as far as I know it only controls the one exterior curbside light. I forgot about the one above the black/grey tank outlet. I’ll have to go look!
For some reason, if the driver’s side light over the black/grey tank outlet is down low (standard location) the extra switch doesn’t control it. There’s an option to move that light higher toward the roofline, and in that case it could be controlled by the extra switch as well.

If the trailer doesn’t have any of the optional exterior lights (meaning it just has the porch light and the lower dump valve light), there would be no need for an extra light switch. Which could explain the wires that lead to nowhere….maybe. Haha.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
For some reason, if the driver’s side light over the black/grey tank outlet is down low (standard location) the extra switch doesn’t control it. There’s an option to move that light higher toward the roofline, and in that case it could be controlled by the extra switch as well.

If the trailer doesn’t have any of the optional exterior lights (meaning it just has the porch light and the lower dump valve light), there would be no need for an extra light switch. Which could explain the wires that lead to nowhere….maybe. Haha.
Oh wow, that actually makes a *lot* of sense! Thanks!
Old 05-31-2022, 06:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Not relevant, since we have a 2019 21C, but you got me curious:

No cutout or bare wires under the sink.

Switch for outside light by door does not control front or dump station lights.

I suppose all the customization options is why Escape doesn't put a wiring diagram in their manual.