Extreme Leveling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Extreme Leveling

I know, I know, if the ground's not almost level find another campsite. But my favorite sites on San Juan Island just aren't level anywhere. So I'm interested in building a custom ramp/leveler for our 5.0 that can raise one side of the camper up to 8 or 9 inches.

Here's a photo of how I cobbled together a system last week. Almost embarrassed to show it. Note that one of the wheels isn't even touching down (wonder if that's harmful to leave it that way a few days).

So does anyone have pictures or ideas how to safely raise one side of a trailer 8 or 9 inches?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extreme leveling.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	56527
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We use a Trailer Aid for extreme leveling. Always backup onto a rear wheel a little further than level then put a regular slant ramp in from the front on the front wheel to support the front axle when moving back down the Trailer Aid to level. Did that make sense?

Not a good idea to leave a wheel hang in the air a tech support guy at Dexter told me.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
Note that one of the wheels isn't even touching down (wonder if that's harmful to leave it that way a few days).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Not a good idea to leave a wheel hang in the air a tech support guy at Dexter told me.
I tend to agree with the Dexter tech support guy. Escape builds (or at least used to build) these trailers while supported by only one axle (by leaving one pair of wheels off), but they are not loaded with cargo during the build, and they are not using one axle on only one side. In addition to loading the one remaining axle heavily, the difference between the sides in this case is trying to twist the trailer frame. I wouldn't be alarmed about this, but I wouldn't consider it good practice.

Torflex suspension only has about three inches of travel, so if the wheel of one axle is much more than three inches higher than the wheel on the other axle, the other one is not going to be touching at all, and even if there's only an inch or two of difference the loads carried by the two axles are quite different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #4

I can't think of a good way to raise one side as much as 8" to 9" for levelling that is any more compact than just building an enormous ramp, or a big stable 4 inch tall flat-topped ramp long enough to use a 4" or taller leveling wedge on top of that.

I suppose that you could build a ramp as long as the F-250's box, which might reasonably be over 8" tall at the end... just make sure there's a stop at the end so you don't accidentally overshoot some day.

Quote:
We use a Trailer Aid for extreme leveling. Always backup onto a rear wheel a little further than level then put a regular slant ramp in from the front on the front wheel to support the front axle when moving back down the Trailer Aid to level. Did that make sense?
That makes sense to me, but even with the other wheel supported this way, a Trailer Aid can only add 4.5" (5.5" for the taller Trailer Aid Plus). Even another brand of similar device is unlikely to be 8" tall - for example, the Andersen Camper Leveler only goes to 4 inches. These devices are just not extreme enough for Ed's situation.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Dig a ditch on the hi side wide enough and long enough and back into it. Easy.
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdog View Post
I like it great idea!!
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I've seen that done then left without filling back in. That's no so great- IMO.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I've seen that done then left without filling back in. That's no so great- IMO.
I have dug holes in the past, not ideal, but do what works, just be nice and fill it in and pack it down before you leave.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
That is exactly what I do in extreme cases, and use the Andersen’s on the other side for more precise leveling. But I always fill in the trench. In addition to what Dexter says, Andersen also recommends using two levelers on a tandem axle.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jack, Jack stands, some cribbing ,and blocks for the corner stabilizers. No digging, stable,
Iowa Dave
Old 06-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I carry one 2 x 8 about 6 feet long I guess if you carried three of them and used your Anderson’s on top of them you could gain 8 and a half inches
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #12

Before we got the Anderson leveler/chock system we had two 2x8s about 54 inches long for the 19 and a few pieces of 2X8. I beveled the ends and drilled them a couple places so I could drop a bolt in and pin them together. I have leveled to about 5 inches. Never had to go much beyond that.

I did camp in a Kentucky state park one night with a beautiful campsite, nearby clean rest room and shower with a washer and dryer. The site had just been resurfaced with fresh asphalt, laid down and rolled smooth. The only problem was about a 5 inch cross fall on the pad. I couldn’t comprehend why I couldn’t easily get level. It was dark and I didn’t believe that anyone would put down new asphalt without leveling the base course.

I was thinking I’d have never made it to retirement if I would have commissioned and inspected a job like that. I was used to the standard on tennis court asphalt lays which was no puddles after a rain that were deeper than the thickness of a nickel.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Before we got the Anderson leveler/chock system we had two 2x8s about 54 inches long for the 19 and a few pieces of 2X8. I beveled the ends and drilled them a couple places so I could drop a bolt in and pin them together. I have leveled to about 5 inches. Never had to go much beyond that.

I did camp in a Kentucky state park one night with a beautiful campsite, nearby clean rest room and shower with a washer and dryer. The site had just been resurfaced with fresh asphalt, laid down and rolled smooth. The only problem was about a 5 inch cross fall on the pad. I couldn’t comprehend why I couldn’t easily get level. It was dark and I didn’t believe that anyone would put down new asphalt without leveling the base course.

I was thinking I’d have never made it to retirement if I would have commissioned and inspected a job like that. I was used to the standard on tennis court asphalt lays which was no puddles after a rain that were deeper than the thickness of a nickel.
Iowa Dave
Dave, You and I were raised to take pride in our work, something that needs to continue to be instilled today!
Old 06-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #14

Some campgrounds wouldn't allow you to dig a ditch, and in some sites it wouldn't be reasonable regardless of permission. On the other hand we set up at one site and when I mentioned the side-to-side slope to the manager after backing in he suggested digging in.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #15

I did that once and was given permission. The host stopped by when I pulled out my Korean War vintage entrenchment tool. He hadn’t seen one in years and really looked the shovel over. It’s an AMES. Pretty heavy to haul around, I usually have a smaller Yo-Ho I’ve had for many years with me.

When I worked for the Forest service and the fire danger got high we would set up a checkpoint on the road up to Selway Falls. We would ask to see an axe , bucket and shovel so the traveler was prepared to put out a small spot fire or a campfire. The locals were all equipped and would say “I suppose you want to see my A.. buckle and shove it?”
Broke up the monotony.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-25-2021, 04:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I did that once and was given permission. The host stopped by when I pulled out my Korean War vintage entrenchment tool. He hadn’t seen one in years and really looked the shovel over. It’s an AMES. Pretty heavy to haul around, I usually have a smaller Yo-Ho I’ve had for many years with me.

When I worked for the Forest service and the fire danger got high we would set up a checkpoint on the road up to Selway Falls. We would ask to see an axe , bucket and shovel so the traveler was prepared to put out a small spot fire or a campfire. The locals were all equipped and would say “I suppose you want to see my A.. buckle and shove it?”
Broke up the monotony.
Iowa Dave
Hi Dave,
I’ve got one of those WWII/Korean War entrenchment tools also. I keep it at home, though. For space and storage reasons, I obtained one of the newer, folding models for use when RVing.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:21 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Yep. Same problem on Orcas Island; same ditch solution. Of course, filled in when we left so you couldn’t even see it was done.
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote