EZ Lube bearings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA
EZ Lube bearings

Wanting to re grease the axles. My question: Is there a spot to use a jack to raise both wheels? Or do I need to hitch up and raise one wheel at a time?
Thanks for your input.
billserna67@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Jack from the FRAME, never the axle. Both wheels on one side don't need to be off the ground at the same time. An easy method is to place the jack forward of the front wheel, do that one, then relocate the jack rearward, behind the rear wheel and do that one.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Jack from the FRAME, never the axle. Both wheels on one side don't need to be off the ground at the same time. An easy method is to place the jack forward of the front wheel, do that one, then relocate the jack rearward, behind the rear wheel and do that one.
Correct on the jacking procedure, but I hope you do not intend to pump grease into the fitting at the end of the axle. Good way to grease up your brake shoes.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Correct on the jacking procedure, but I hope you do not intend to pump grease into the fitting at the end of the axle. Good way to grease up your brake shoes.
I'm not speaking to the wisdom of using the EZ Lube feature. Been down that rabbit hole before. Just talking about how to jack, since that was the question.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by billserna67@gmail.com View Post
Wanting to re grease the axles. My question: Is there a spot to use a jack to raise both wheels? Or do I need to hitch up and raise one wheel at a time?
Thanks for your input.
ETI recommends jacking up the trailer at the center point between the axles, with a block of wood between the jack and the frame. And since you have not accumulated a lot of posts, I am guessing you have a late model 5.0TA, making Robert’s advice about never jacking on the axle. Early 5.0TAs had solid axles and leaf springs rather than torsion axles and the correct method of jacking them is on the axle itself as close to the frame as possible, using a block of wood between the jack’s ram and the axle.

Since you did mention “lubrication of the axles,” I am guessing you are referring to the wheel bearings and the EZ-Lube fittings. I also am of the opinion that EZ-Lube is one of the “features” that should be ignored. It injects grease at the inner bearing, potentially pushing out the seal and getting grease on the brake drums. And to get grease to the outer bearing the open area within the hub has to fill completely before it will push “new” grease through the outer bearing. I believe in servicing the wheel bearings the old fashioned way. It takes more time, is much more messy, or in other words, a big PITA but components can be inspected and you can be sure that grease packed from the container into bearings that have been cleaned will not be contaminated. And you can check the condition of brakes at the same time. Suit yourself, but if you decide to use EZ-Lube, make sure you are turning the wheel while you pump voluminous amounts of grease into each hub as this lessens the chance of grease squeezing out through the seal.

For the record, I do not follow the yearly or every 10,000 mile recommendation. I service my wheel bearings every other year or at 25,000 miles, which usually means every other year. I use Lucas Red and Tacky, and have never had a wheel bearing problem on any of the five camping trailers I have owned.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
ETI recommends jacking up the trailer at the center point between the axles, with a block of wood between the jack and the frame. And since you have not accumulated a lot of posts, I am guessing you have a late model 5.0TA, making Robert’s advice about never jacking on the axle. Early 5.0TAs had solid axles and leaf springs rather than torsion axles and the correct method of jacking them is on the axle itself as close to the frame as possible, using a block of wood between the jack’s ram and the axle.

Since you did mention “lubrication of the axles,” I am guessing you are referring to the wheel bearings and the EZ-Lube fittings. I also am of the opinion that EZ-Lube is one of the “features” that should be ignored. It injects grease at the inner bearing, potentially pushing out the seal and getting grease on the brake drums. And to get grease to the outer bearing the open area within the hub has to fill completely before it will push “new” grease through the outer bearing. I believe in servicing the wheel bearings the old fashioned way. It takes more time, is much more messy, or in other words, a big PITA but components can be inspected and you can be sure that grease packed from the container into bearings that have been cleaned will not be contaminated. And you can check the condition of brakes at the same time. Suit yourself, but if you decide to use EZ-Lube, make sure you are turning the wheel while you pump voluminous amounts of grease into each hub as this lessens the chance of grease squeezing out through the seal.

For the record, I do not follow the yearly or every 10,000 mile recommendation. I service my wheel bearings every other year or at 25,000 miles, which usually means every other year. I use Lucas Red and Tacky, and have never had a wheel bearing problem on any of the five camping trailers I have owned.
Thank you. Very informative. Ours is a 2020 5.0.
billserna67@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm not speaking to the wisdom of using the EZ Lube feature. Been down that rabbit hole before. Just talking about how to jack, since that was the question.
I am not sure if I am dissed or not, but even though the "safe way" to lube bearings
has been discussed extensively on numerous forums, some folks have not been exposed to this information, thus my comment.
And what does this have to do with a rabbit hole anyway? Rather than take this thread further off track, I'll start another in Cyber Campfire that may shed some light on my personal ignorance.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
I am not sure if I am dissed or not, but even though the "safe way" to lube bearings
has been discussed extensively on numerous forums, some folks have not been exposed to this information, thus my comment.
And what does this have to do with a rabbit hole anyway? Rather than take this thread further off track, I'll start another in Cyber Campfire that may shed some light on my personal ignorance.
Tom/Joan,
I do not think you were being “dissed.”
I interpreted Robert’s rabbit hole comment to mean that there are passionate feelings on both sides of the EZ-Lube system. I believe he did not want to start EZ-Lube War 163, or whatever number we are on now. That is because most people either believe that EZ-Lube is the best thing since sliced bread or that it was invented by Satan and his minions. As I stated in an earlier post, I am in the Satanic column, and Robert felt it better not to get involved. I know him well enough to know he would likely not disrespect anyone. EZ-Lube debates can get very emotional.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I "learned" to grease my hubs using the zerk fittings that came on the Dexter axle installed on my teardrop. The first time I used them I couldn't believe how much grease I had to pump in before I started seeing any squeeze back out. On my Scamp I learned how to disassemble and pack my bearings by hand. Wow, what a difference in the amount of grease (not) used. I think if you know what you're doing (i.e. are doing it yourself and rather than trusting others), either method should work. But I get that there can be passion on both sides and understand the urge to cut off discussion before it gets out of hand. On there other hand, what else is there to do these days while we wait for the camping season to begin in earnest?
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E19'
FWIW, one thing that I remember hearing more than once in my automotive/vehicular/mechanical youth is that it's important to have an empty void in the space between the inner and outer bearings so as to not allow excessive heat to build up. If it's packed full of grease - as it would be when using the EZ-Lube feature - then heat would not be able to dissipate as readily.

Again: FWIW, YMMV, DSTM, etc. I make no representation regarding the validity of this line of thought.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
FWIW, one thing that I remember hearing more than once in my automotive/vehicular/mechanical youth is that it's important to have an empty void in the space between the inner and outer bearings so as to not allow excessive heat to build up. If it's packed full of grease - as it would be when using the EZ-Lube feature - then heat would not be able to dissipate as readily.
Hummm, no it doesn't. It's not a big ole tube full of grease. Even driving in temperatures over 100 degrees, the hubs/axles of Ten Forward have never gotten hot. Choosing NOT to use the feature, is up to you. Even if you never use it the axles/bearings come with grease. All you're doing is replacing old with new if you use it.
Attached Thumbnails
dexter-ez-lube-endunit-diagram.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Tom/Joan,
I do not think you were being “dissed.”
I interpreted Robert’s rabbit hole comment to mean that there are passionate feelings on both sides of the EZ-Lube system. I believe he did not want to start EZ-Lube War 163, or whatever number we are on now. That is because most people either believe that EZ-Lube is the best thing since sliced bread or that it was invented by Satan and his minions. As I stated in an earlier post, I am in the Satanic column, and Robert felt it better not to get involved. I know him well enough to know he would likely not disrespect anyone. EZ-Lube debates can get very emotional.
C&G, I either forgot or did not know in the first place the procedure was so controversial. I appreciate your take on the conversation very much. Live and learn! And at past 80, I know that learning curve never flattens.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Anyhow, back to Post #1.

This is direct from the hand of Reace (literally, haha), "so you know it's gotta be good":

"When jacking the trailer, the best spot is on the vertical bracket that the axle is bolted to (see photo) For supporting the trailer, you use the frame on either side of the tires."

I always just use a floor jack under the vertical bracket, mid-way between the axles, then use 2 jack stands under the frame - one just in front of the front axle and the other just to the rear of the rear axle. I also generally keep the trailer hitched up to the tow vehicle to help keep things steady.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4627.jpg  
Old 03-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Rather than going the EZ-Lube route I decided to get my mobile RV repair guy do the whole bearing grease job. Good thing I did. He found one of the races on an inside bearing gouged and replaced it. Must have happened at the factory.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
The layer of grease there is the same as with other hubs, but it isn't very thick, heat dissipation with probably all through the hub regardless of what is in that space, and the grease there doesn't seem to cause a heat problem.

Most of the grease in the hub in in that void space, and all of it in there is just wasted, but that's not a heat issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
WE have an annual inspection/sticker requirement and upon my initial registration to transfer plates from my old Escape to the new one, got an inspection and 2 of my bearings were loose, direct from the factory install, 60 days after taking possession.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
My ETI manual says " If useing a jack, place the jack under the axel mounting Bracket" when I done this it Did raise both wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210323_195744.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jacking

I have not read this whole thread. Whenever I Jack the trailer up, I put two Jack stands under the frame and lower the Jack till I see the frame settle down onto the stands.. Also I always chock the other side tires front and back. Safety first. I like Lucas red and tacky for my grease. Tube or tub. I cool it in the refrigerator before starting for ease of application and keep it out of the sun.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Casita SD 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by billserna67@gmail.com View Post
Thanks for your input.
I have found hitching to the TV makes jacking up the camper easier & safer.
debcost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 escape 21
Well i did mine last year. Here is an easy and safe way if you have tandom axles.Run the front wheel up a small ramp until the rear wheel just comes off the ground turn the wheel slowly well you pump the grease in the grease nipple. Then run the rear wheel up the ramp until the front one comes off the ground and grease it. If it is a single axle you will have to use a jack.