False Propane Alert? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2022, 08:17 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
False Propane Alert?

Last week were camped at the Schoodic Woods Campground on the Schoodic Peninsula, part of Acadia National Park. Thursday we left our Escape 21C at 10 AM to catch the 10:30 ferry boat to Bar Harbor. It was a beautiful day for a boat trip, and for playing tourist. We returned on the 3:30 ferry from Bar Harbor, getting back to the campsite shortly before 5 pm. To our surprise, the propane alarm was in Alarm mode, beeping loudly.

We opened up the trailer and I hit the Reset button. It stopped and the alarm did not return. The unit went back to its normal, quiet green-light operation mode.

The fellow across the way said he had heard the alarm all day. I apologized, but he allowed it was no problem. I asked around for a propane sniffer, but nobody had one. The camp host said his alarm would go off on its own every couple of months; he said he usually stopped it by blowing compressed air at it. He assumes the alarm might be triggered by dust. It is, of course, down by the floor. He gave me a bottle of soapy water to test for gas leaks.

I checked the connections under our SDS2 cooktop, which had been replaced under the Suburban/Escape recall; they all seemed fine. I could find no other problems. I had never smelled any gas, even when we first returned.

The alarm has been fine ever since. So I am coming to the conclusion that the camp host is right, and it was just a false alarm. I know these happen with smoke alarms, but didn't know it was at all common with propane alarms—never had one in the six years we owned our Casita.

How about you?

PS Below is a photo of the Winter Harbor/Bar Harbor ferry.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9438_thumb.jpg  
Old 09-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
The alarm has been fine ever since. So I am coming to the conclusion that the camp host is right, and it was just a false alarm. I know these happen with smoke alarms, but didn't know it was at all common with propane alarms—never had one in the six years we owned our Casita.

How about you?
VERY common. Vacuum, or at least wipe off, the face plate frequently especially if you have pets.

Low battery(ies) will cause it to go off. So will dog farts, hairspray and stinky athletic shoes.

They eventually age out, at about five years. When I replaced the one in Ten Forward, I used spade connectors so I could just disconnect it if the alarm went off and I couldn't get it to shut up. Others have had to cut the wires!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Lots of things set off the propane detector. Age (over 5 years), dust (it is suggested that you vacuum them ever month or so), fumes from charging interior mounted batteries, gases passed by pets (and spouses), products that spray such as hair spray, etc (often powered by butane). I've even had mine set off by running cold water in the sink.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
VERY common. Vacuum, or at least wipe off, the face plate frequently especially if you have pets.

Low battery(ies) will cause it to go off. So will dog farts, hairspray and stinky athletic shoes.

They eventually age out, at about five years. When I replaced the one in Ten Forward, I used spade connectors so I could just disconnect it if the alarm went off and I couldn't get it to shut up. Others have had to cut the wires!
Thanks, Donna. They generally have an 'end-of-life' warning (yellow light, single beep every minute or so), when you have to replace them. Did it on my Casita. Should get a couple more years out of this one on our 2019 Escape.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I was sanitizing my system yesterday and when I ran the water through my kitchen faucet the chlorine smell set my detector off! I just opened the door and turned on the Maxfan and the alarm turned off after a couple of minutes. It was quite a surprise. I did not realize the detector is so sensitive.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Last month our 4 year old Alwood propane alarm went off 3 times on 2 different nights. At night nothing was on, we have a cat, no farting dogs, no hairspray, batteries were fully charged. We cleaned, wiped and vacuumed off the faceplate. When we got home we ordered a white faced Atwood propane detector and Gary installed it in under 10 minutes. This Atwood detector is from a shop that sells Airstream products, at $120 it is priced like an Airstream. It fit the existing hole perfectly.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I am only posting what I was told, so I will tell all the naysayers and know-it-alls on this forum (the reason I rarely post anymore) do not jump all over me. If you think you know better, fine.

When I had problems with false propane alarms in my 2015 5.0TA, I did a lot of research and made a few phone calls. I can say you haven’t lived until you have been jolted from your sleep between 2:00 am and 3:00 am three nights in a row, the last two with the propane tanks valved off. Ultimately, I concluded that small amounts of hydrogen escaping from ETI’s poorly vented battery box were setting off the propane detector when the lead acid batteries were being charged in boost mode by the converter. Note that the battery box is less than two feet from where the detector is installed on the passenger side wall of the dinette bench. Vacuuming and cleaning the face of the detector did not solve the problem. So I replaced the detector, and continued to get false alarms, usually in the middle of the night, but sometimes in the day. So I put a switch on the alarm. Of course the naysayers told me my solution was totally irresponsible and unsafe. I don’t agree because I can easily see that the alarm is on with a quick glance at its green LED. And I have since built a containment housing around the back of the detector with a removable lid to facilitate changeout when necessary. Note that in 2015, ETI was installing propane detectors manufactured by Saf-T-Alert.
Saf-T-Alert is located in the Florida Panhandle. Since I live in Florida, the next time I was in the panhandle I stopped in and chatted with the owner/CEO. We discussed all my corrective actions and I asked about aging out. He told me that they only age when they are powered up, and that if on a switch and turned off while in storage, they will last much longer. My current propane detector is going on 7 years of age and hasn’t started end-of-life beeping. Before every trip, I turn it on and test it with an unlit propane torch. It tests both the detector which then goes into its screaming mode, and it confirms that my sense of hearing is still fine.
These alarms are expensive. Putting them on a switch has saved me $$$.
I would add that I haven’t had a false alarm in years, and a switch to lithium batteries has eliminated any hydrogen production.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I always switch them. In my 19 I have not done that yet. Yesterday I used some super glue in the trailer and set it off. I found I could pull 3’ of wire out behind it. I just cut a wire for now. With that length of wire, adding a switch will be easy. It took a bit to get the wire connectors through the hole, but I’ll be switched soon.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 21C
Our dogs, prone to flatulence, set off the alarm at the most inconvenient times.
JazzDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I am only posting what I was told, so I will tell all the naysayers and know-it-alls on this forum (the reason I rarely post anymore) do not jump all over me. If you think you know better, fine.

When I had problems with false propane alarms in my 2015 5.0TA, I did a lot of research and made a few phone calls. I can say you haven’t lived until you have been jolted from your sleep between 2:00 am and 3:00 am three nights in a row, the last two with the propane tanks valved off. Ultimately, I concluded that small amounts of hydrogen escaping from ETI’s poorly vented battery box were setting off the propane detector when the lead acid batteries were being charged in boost mode by the converter. Note that the battery box is less than two feet from where the detector is installed on the passenger side wall of the dinette bench. Vacuuming and cleaning the face of the detector did not solve the problem. So I replaced the detector, and continued to get false alarms, usually in the middle of the night, but sometimes in the day. So I put a switch on the alarm. Of course the naysayers told me my solution was totally irresponsible and unsafe. I don’t agree because I can easily see that the alarm is on with a quick glance at its green LED. And I have since built a containment housing around the back of the detector with a removable lid to facilitate changeout when necessary. Note that in 2015, ETI was installing propane detectors manufactured by Saf-T-Alert.
Saf-T-Alert is located in the Florida Panhandle. Since I live in Florida, the next time I was in the panhandle I stopped in and chatted with the owner/CEO. We discussed all my corrective actions and I asked about aging out. He told me that they only age when they are powered up, and that if on a switch and turned off while in storage, they will last much longer. My current propane detector is going on 7 years of age and hasn’t started end-of-life beeping. Before every trip, I turn it on and test it with an unlit propane torch. It tests both the detector which then goes into its screaming mode, and it confirms that my sense of hearing is still fine.
These alarms are expensive. Putting them on a switch has saved me $$$.
I would add that I haven’t had a false alarm in years, and a switch to lithium batteries has eliminated any hydrogen production.
Carl
Thanks for your information and for posting. Hope all is ok where you’re at in Fla.
Giant weather events are not fun.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-30-2022, 07:09 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Ultimately, I concluded that small amounts of hydrogen escaping from ETI’s poorly vented battery box were setting off the propane detector when the lead acid batteries were being charged in boost mode by the converter. Note that the battery box is less than two feet from where the detector is installed on the passenger side wall of the dinette bench.
On our 2019 21C, the detector is on the chopped-off corner under the bed, away from the battery box.

Coincidentally, before our Maine trip I had added water to our two 6-volt batteries, and I discovered yesterday that I had sloppily left the cover off the box! So it is possible that if we had the trailer closed up while away for the day, some battery gas might have accumulated and set off the alarm. Maybe it wasn't dust at all!