Fiberglass hole repair - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Fiberglass hole repair

I really don’t know how I did this damage. A nasty hole. Obviously done when backing up the trailer in the yard, though haven’t a clue what I hit, or when, and exactly where. No conclusive forensic evidence could be found. Very upsetting. Guessing either backing through the driveway gate, or backing up under the canopy.

I may have reached the state of mind where the train leaves the station without me.

The shock of this discovery was great. Yet, thanks to previous experience patching Scamp hull holes back in the day, (and confidence I got from Ron in BC,) the repair was a no-brainer. No boat shops around here, so an internet search for marine putty worked. Had some old fiberglass cloth on hand. I stuffed a piece in the hole as gap filling strength for the putty. Now I can hardly detect the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
hole2A.jpg   hole2B.jpg   hole2C.jpg  
Old 10-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Marine-Tex has worked well for me.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
I hope you catch the train on the return trip.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
We have a small gouge by our door window cause by a bear trying to get into our camper while camping in the Sierras. I was going to try marine-tex but was told to use a gelcoat instead because it will turn out better. Myron, do you have a pic of your completed repair I'm trying to decide which product to use.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #6

Maybe Myron will post a photo of the repair we did 2 or 3 years ago at Q'site. It turned out pretty well.

I'm a bit more of a purist and have used f.g. for a long time. My preferred method is using gelcoat with mylar. Mylar is taped and hinged down at the bottom. A small amount of gelcoat is put in the recess as the mylar is rolled up, eliminating air bubbles and creating a smooth shiny surface. If done well, or after a lot experience, it's possible to do a repair that requires little to no work to finish. Use too much gelcoat and the repair will be proud and have to be wet sanded down.

Gelcoat is quite forgiving and the tapered edges blend in with the original quite well.

Ron
Old 10-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I agree with Ron

If you can get gel coat, that is a preferred final cosmetic repair. But if your gouge is deep and more than a scratch, you'll need to fill it in with something. Plenty of choices there, and Ron can suggest the best.

I used Marine-Tex on my 1996 16' Casita to fill in roof holes from an awning installation, long gone. Small holes, not ground level visible, and the Marine-Tex blended in well.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #8

Generally speaking f.g. repairs are done with the same materials as the object is constructed from. Yes, there are exceptions, I talking about smaller gashes etc.

For example major damage would use the same structural material as the original. Strength would gained by using mat, or cloth or woven roving, whatever's appropriate for the situation.

When the underlying structural strength has been replaced then the exterior finish is applied. Gelcoat not only does a great job there is one other consideration.

Polyester to polyester works and bonds well. So does epoxy to polyester. But if there's ever a need in the future to do another repair there could be a conflict as new polyester doesn't bond to epoxy. Which is why I like to keep my f.g. work all polyester.

Ron
Old 10-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Thanks, Ron. Your answer was exactly what I had been told appreciate your input to this question.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Here are pictures of Ron's gelcoat repair of my trailer, done at Quartzsite. Next, results of my patch job - just finished with Marine-Tex this week.
And, - an old pix of gelcoat materials/repairs used many years ago on major hull breaches to my old Scamp. (What Ron said.)
Attached Thumbnails
Gelcoat2.jpg   Gelhole.jpg   Gelpatched.jpg   GelcoatScamp.jpg