Fibreglass cleaning/polishing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How to make my 2004 17B look like new again
Cleaning 4 22.22%
Polishing 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #1

Trailer: don't have RV yet
Fibreglass cleaning/polishing

My husband and I recently purchased a 2004 17B Escape. Some of the outside is rather chalky looking and we would like to make the trailer look almost new again. Do we need to buff the outside or is it best to apply some kind of a polish? We polished the trailer with car wax several months ago and it does have a little bit of a shine but we are looking for a product that might be better. Any ideas
aafke51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Fibreglass cleaning/polishing

A product called Gelgloss has mild cleaning/buffing agents along with wax. It has worked well for me in fiberglass showers and on an oxidized Fiberglas canoe. It would be worth a try.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Our old 1999 Casita sat out in the Arizona desert (apparently un-waxed the entire time) before we brought it home. It was flat white and simply brushing against it let white smears on your clothes. After several applications of Meguire's Marine fiberglass scratch remover and three coats of Collinite Fleetwax, the trailer went from flat white to satin finish. Once they get as bad as that, I suspect nothing will fix it except having a new layer of gel-coat applied. That was an extreme case, and a good argument for frequent waxing.

As Eric said, a mild cleaning/buffing agent should work well, followed by a couple of coats of wax. The bad news is, nothing is going to make it shine (SHINE!!!) except for copious amounts of elbow grease.

YMMV;
Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Another possibility - check out the 12+ page thread on Fiberglass RV - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html. It compares a boat treatment called Polyglow with a floor finish called Red Max Pro. Both are methods of bringing back the shine to fiberglass.

Although mentioned in the thread, it is worth pointing out - Bar Keeper's Friend is a great spot cleaner for fiberglass trailers.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
As Eric said, a mild cleaning/buffing agent should work well, followed by a couple of coats of wax. The bad news is, nothing is going to make it shite except fr copious amounts of elbow grease.

YMMV;
Dave
Elbow grease is out for me then, I don't want my trailer looking like shite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
As Eric said, a mild cleaning/buffing agent should work well, followed by a couple of coats of wax. The bad news is, nothing is going to make it shite except fr copious amounts of elbow grease.

YMMV;
Dave
Elbow grease is out for me then, I don't want my trailer looking like shite.
LMAO!!! Curses, typo'ed again!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E19

I also bought a 2004 or is it a 2006? Can't remember. I also have the same problem. I washed it and it looked the same (only slightly better) with the bugs mostly washed off.

I talked with Reace who said that it would need to be polished and waxed in order to bring back the shine. Simply washing and waxing wasn't going to bring the shine back because of the oxidization. He took a corner of my trailer in the back and used an electric polishing tool (sorry don't know the technical name for it) and buffed it. It was amazing the difference!

So I signed up right away for the polishing/waxing treatment. I'm going to take before and after pics which I can post. I can't wait to see it completely done because it looks so flat and dirty next to my friends' trailers when I travel with them. It won't be anymore!!
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...Here's what I used on our 5.0 to remove the slight chaulky surface. I missed a spot over the back window and does it ever show . This is not cheap stuff and it took 3 bottles to do the whole 5.0...except for the missed spot. Not your average Sat. pm. job either. I highly recommend Meguiars 50 Marine and RV Cleaner/Wax one step. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Waxing&Waining.jpg   mirror image.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Again...Next time, if it ever stops raining, I think I'll invest in a power buffer so I don't get so much "elbow grease" on the finished surface!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Chaulky at the top.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #10

FYI for those who have fairly new trailers with minor scratches and/or chaulking, Meguiars support dept. recommended a good wash and application of their Meguiar's Flagship Premium Cleaner/Wax
Item # : MEG M6132
$36.99
which I purchased online and used with good success and no buffing required.
Their product support techs asked detailed questions about the conditions of the trailer before recommending a product. For those who might want to use a Meguiars product for older units with chaulking or other conditions, the product support tele number is 800 347 5700.

jopoelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

A product that I recently found out about is 303 Aerospace Protectant. It is expensive but so far I have been impressed with its results. It is a spray on that, according to the manufacturer, that penetrates into the fiberglass rather coating it. I tried it on an old canoe that was quite powdery with oxidation and was impressed with the results. I also used it on some of the plastic parts on our Tacoma and the results were much better than I have seen with any other "protectant" products. I have not used it long enough to be able to confirm how long it lasts, but it seems well worth a try. The website talks about using with oxidized fiberglass here: http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...fiberglass.cfm

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Here is a link to fgrv:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
I am waiting to see how this RedMax Pro pans out. It's been over a year now. As mine still shines, I have not done anything but wash her and then cover. Needless to say, I'd prefer minimum "elbow grease"
Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
Here is a link to fgrv:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
I am waiting to see how this RedMax Pro pans out. It's been over a year now. As mine still shines, I have not done anything but wash her and then cover. Needless to say, I'd prefer minimum "elbow grease"
I personally would be very wary of using floor polish on a fiberglass trailer - except maybe as a last resort on a really old completely oxidized one that nothing else worked on. School custodians have to use strong chemicals to strip that kind of stuff off floors and it tends to turn yellow over time.

Eric

Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #14

I agree. Was early and often to avoid oxidation. MY old Casita needed triage-level help when we got it. I might have been tempted to try floor finish on it as I was never able to achieve anything better than a satin finish. On our shiny new 5.0?...not on a bet.

Dave
Old 10-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I have to give a strong second to the use of 303 Aerospace Protectant. I've been using it for years on plastic/synthetic surfaces, and started with it on the trailer when it was new. I've even gone through the pain of coating the tires -- both sides and tread surfaces -- once, and will probably do so again next year (3 year mark). An example of how it inhibits oxidization: I bicycle regularly, and used to get 1 to maybe 2 years out of a tube before it oxidized, rotted, and needed to be replaced. Last time I installed tubes in my mountain bike, I gave them a coating of 303. Those tubes are now 6 years old and still strong. The stuff is a bit expensive, but in the long run I'm saving money. I wish I owned stock in the company. http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #16

We have a 2004 17B escape and I've used the product "Gel-Gloss", applying it once a year.
This product is recommended for fibreglass and is sold at Canadian Tire stores.
Reace suggested using this product when we brought the trailer.

Cheers, Roy
Maynetta and Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

How is Gel-Gloss for ease of application?

baglo
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
How is Gel-Gloss for ease of application?

baglo
It is just like using liquid wax - wipe it on, polish it off. We use it on our fiberglass shower frequently. It is essentially carnuba wax and "non-harmful abrasive cleaning agents that remove surface oxidation and light scratches" according to the website. http://gel-gloss.com/index.php?pageId=351

Eric

Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #19

I used a Marine polish made by 3M. Easy to apply with a sponge and as soon as it dries polish it with a cloth.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Smile Spring Cleaning

Here on the wet coast the rain leaves hard to remove black streaks on any white vehicle. The PROTECT ALL product called BLACK streak CLEANER made easy work for me yesterday. Very little elbow grease required if sprayed on liberally. Used all 946 mL to do our 19. Then used the PROTECTAL Wax product. The trailer now looks brand new after an afternoons work.