Flashing Interior Light Solution - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Flashing Interior Light Solution

If you're like me, and many others, the interior light fixtures on my 2018 Escape 19 started flashing like a strobe. When the first 2 did it, I contacted Escape and Reese sent me 2 new replacements, no problem. A year and a half into it, and 2 more started flashing. I contacted Escape, now under new ownership, and was told I could order them, the price + shipping. This was not an inexpensive option.

I decided I could do this cheaper and better so I did some looking around. I found the light strips pictured below at SkyCraft surplus in Winter Park FL. Their description is "LED C.O.B #2498". This strip is a little over 4 inches long and fits snugly on the reflector plate of the stock light fixture.

I was able to pull out the old light strip, connect the existing power/ground wires to the new light, secure the new light to the reflector plate using the supplied double sided tape. These light strips are less than $5 US. It doesn't take very long to get this done. MAKE SURE YOUR POLARITY IS CORRECT. THE LED WON'T LIGHT IF IT IS BACKWARDS. These lights are BRIGHT!

I tried finding these on SkyCraft's web site, but could not find them. I called the retail store and after a bit of conversation, found out they lights are not on their web site. You can contact SkyCraft at 407-628-5634 to order. Because they have 2 lengths of these lights, make sure you're getting the shorter of the 2, the lady told me the SKU for the short one is 2498.

NOTE: The same company also makes a 6 5/8 (#4005) inch version of this light. THEY WILL NOT FIT INTO THE LIGHT FIXTURE PICTURED BELOW. I have used them on other projects and they are even brighter.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Fixture.jpeg   LED C.O.B 2498.jpeg  
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Thank you . We have replaced 3 of the LED light fixtures in our 2018 Escape 21 over the last year and the replacement fixtures are again starting to strobe .
The only sensible solution IMHO is to replace all the light fixtures with ones with the proper voltage rating , voltage regulation and replaceable lamps .
I’d rather pay out of pocket for new fixtures than live with that constant , irritating strobing !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Both of our 2013 Escapes have LED interior lamps and none of them have ever caused any problems or exhibited this strobing behaviour. Is it just the newer models that are experiencing these issues?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thank you . We have replaced 3 of the LED light fixtures in our 2018 Escape 21 over the last year and the replacement fixtures are again starting to strobe .
The only sensible solution IMHO is to replace all the light fixtures with ones with the proper voltage rating , voltage regulation and replaceable lamps .
I’d rather pay out of pocket for new fixtures than live with that constant , irritating strobing !!

If you replace the LED strips in your existing fixtures, it's less expensive and you can use the "old fixtures" that you replaced to keep a couple of spares on hand just in case.

There are other LED solutions that I've tried that work well, but the C.O.B is the easiest. Here's another LED strip that I've used but it's much more cumbersome to install in the existing fixture than the C.O.B. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...20/5147/11528/
Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Is this the one?

https://www.12vmonster.com/products/...yABEgLFi_D_BwE
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post

That looks like it but you need to verify the length. You want the one that is just over 4 inches long. That said, it's like 3 times the price of getting them at StarCraft. I think I gave $3.99 for the ones I bought.

If you have one of the existing fixtures off, measure the length of the reflector plate inside. I'm pretty sure that the ones I used were just over 4 inches. I know they aren't the over 6 inch ones. Always measure if there is a question.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I ended up just replacing mine with the newer revision: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NATUM41
They seem to have a bit more voltage regulation circuitry than the original ones, and ~9 months of heavy/full-time use later they're still going strong.

Annoyingly, the outer dimensions are actually subtly different from the ones it came with. Not enough to be a problem, though - it still screws into the same wooden blocking and doesn't leave a visible outline of the original light in the vinyl.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

Great Find! The manufacturer/part number that Escape gave me is Sunlink M# PCLS03N-008.. this might account for the slightly different footprint.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
After installing voltage regulator chips in all my lights, I haven't had a single failure since.

The 2017-2018 lights that Escape used really don't like voltage over 12v.
Attached Images

tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
After installing voltage regulator chips in all my lights, I haven't had a single failure since.

The 2017-2018 lights that Escape used really don't like voltage over 12v.
Is that a LM7812 that you are using?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
flashing interior lights

So what do you think is the best solution to my flickering interior lights. Replacing just the strip or replacing the whole light fixture. I don't think I have the skill to install voltage regulator chips on all the lights.
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #12

flickering lights

I'll post again, hoping I get an answer.

So what do you think is the best solution to my flickering interior lights. Replacing just the strip or replacing the whole light fixture. I don't think I have the skill to install voltage regulator chips on all the lights. Is that the only way to resolve the issue with the lights. If so who could instill voltage regulator chips for me? A trailer repair person?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What Dave said.
Mine is a 2013 and the lights have never strobed... so what causes that? Bad later manufacturing? Bad LED's? I don't get it. Wouldn't the fixture be made including the correct voltage.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
I'll post again, hoping I get an answer.

So what do you think is the best solution to my flickering interior lights. Replacing just the strip or replacing the whole light fixture. I don't think I have the skill to install voltage regulator chips on all the lights. Is that the only way to resolve the issue with the lights. If so who could instill voltage regulator chips for me? A trailer repair person?
Personally I would replace with new fixtures that do not have a hardwired LED strip. I prefer one where it has a replaceable bulb to have the flexibility to adjust for color and brightness based on bulb selected. You may find ones that come stock with incandescent bulbs that you need to swap out but this would then be an equivalent set up to older trailers that do not have any problems with the lights.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #15

I’ve had 4 or 5 of my trailer’s LED light fixtures fail (Severe flickering / strobing or total failure)
Escape sent me replacement fixtures (N/C ) and so far none of the replacement fixtures have failed .
Since I am out of the fixtures Escape sent me and we are out of our warranty period , I plan on buying new LED fixtures with built in voltage regulation and replaceable lamps .
Old 07-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My 2016 had those screwed in strips and I did not like them. So when ordering the 2019 I opted for captain lights for my under cabinet lights knowing I could replace the bulbs easily to the light preference I wanted. Just my luck, Reace and Co read my mind and switched their light selection again to ones with replaceable bulbs. So when I saw this upon pick up I ordered a couple of replacements for the captain lights. An expensive mistake but now I have 3 extra spare captain lights I need to find a place for.........
Old 07-07-2020, 10:50 PM   #17

flickering lights

So Steve, which fixtures have built in voltage regulation and replaceable lights? Have you looked yet? Are they LED's?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19'
I replace one light in the kitchen a year ago. Now that I am on the road, the one over the sink and the one over the table are both flickering. I guess I should just change them all out.
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
I'm wondering if that light also has the feature of the original Escape light, which can switch from "full light" to "half light"? Did you come across any light that did have that option?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #20

I’ve replaced 5 LED lights in my trailer so far and fixture #6 is starting to strobe
I recently bought 4 more brand new LED fixtures so I have enough to replace all the factory fixtures as they fail .