Flickering lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Flickering lights

Rbryan4 (ever a source of good ideas) wrote something interesting the other day. He said a source of flickering lights when hooked up to shore power was dirty power from the WFCO converter charger.

Is there a consensus that the converter charger supplied as standard equipment needs to be upgraded if I'm to solve my flickering light problem?

If so, what specs or specific products should I be looking at? I don't want to buy too much or too little - just a quality converter that supplies clean power and charges my batteries in an excellent manner.

Thanks.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only flickering I've had has been in single lights, as opposed to all of them. I've been reseating the LED board in the individual light to solve that.

Last time I checked into it, the Boondocker is the only direct replacement for the converter board in the WFCO. Other options would be stand alone units. If it were me, I'd Randy at Best Converters if you're interested in replacing the unit, he's very knowledgeable on the subject and can make suggestions.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
....... If it were me, I'd Randy at Best Converters if you're interested in replacing the unit, he's very knowledgeable on the subject and can make suggestions.
Randy's so very good, that he's a Verb instead of a Noun!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
Rbryan4 (ever a source of good ideas) wrote something interesting the other day. He said a source of flickering lights when hooked up to shore power was dirty power from the WFCO converter charger.

Is there a consensus that the converter charger supplied as standard equipment needs to be upgraded if I'm to solve my flickering light problem?

If so, what specs or specific products should I be looking at? I don't want to buy too much or too little - just a quality converter that supplies clean power and charges my batteries in an excellent manner.

Thanks.
Hi: Jeff and Karen... Just fixed one today. A light brush with an emery board across the contacts and flicker is gone. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Last time I checked into it, the Boondocker is the only direct replacement for the converter board in the WFCO. Other options would be stand alone units.
If a standalone converter/charger doesn't fit in the WFCO housing the way one model of Boondocker does, it can still be mounted externally and wired to the WFCO to continue to use the original AC and DC distribution (circuit breaker and fuse) panels.

Best Converter lists three replacement units for the WFCO 8900 series power centres, two of which are not Boondockers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
This fits in very nicely:
Truecharge Battery Charger | Truecharge2 20A, 40A, 60A | Xantrex
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...on-5390-3.html
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If all of your lights are flickering, that's a sign of inconsistent power from the distribution panel. It may not be the converter, but the board. WFCO isn't the best when it comes to their control boards or converters. If only one of your lights is flickering, that's just dirty contacts or a loose LED as some have pointed out.

There are many direct replacements for the converter and/or board assembly in the WFCO 8955. Some others only require a minor mod to the enclosure to fit. I just went with the "boondocker" because it provides better charging voltage to my Interstate batteries. My lights have flickered a few times, so if the new converter fixes that it's a bonus.