Fluid levels - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #21
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Or use Calgon and liquid Cascade with Chlorox. The small amount of Chloe serves as a disinfectant.
About how much chlorine and Calgon do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
+1 on the Calgon with some Dawn or laundry detergent.

Going forward we usually added some Calgon/Borax along with a little detergent to the black tank after emptying. Helps if you add a bit of water first so the Calgon doesn't flow right down to the dump drain.
About how much Calgon? Borax? Detergent?

These are great ideas. I remember years ago I used Calgon to clean my fiberglass bathtub and it made cleaning easier.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I know a number of people like the GEO method, but a word of caution... none of those ingredients are for breaking down solids. Only the tank gets slippery (I guess). If you use a lot of TP or have a lot of "solids," you may have problems with plugged plumbing. I know ONE individual that had a huge ole mess using the GEO method, because of plugged plumbing.

Carry on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
About how much chlorine and Calgon do you use?

About how much Calgon? Borax? Detergent?

These are great ideas. I remember years ago I used Calgon to clean my fiberglass bathtub and it made cleaning easier.

Lorna
I supposed it depends on tank size a bit, but our class C had similar tank sizes to the Escapes and I usually dissolved 2C Borax/Calgon in a gallon of water and dumped it in and then 1 C detergent. Keep in mind if your tank is absolutely empty you may want to get some water in first so the cleaners don't just drain out to the valves/traps. I like to think it makes the tank a bit more slippery and the stuff flows out better. Does it really? I dunno but it did fix our sensor readings.

The GEO method is detailed here: https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Donna is correct that none of this does anything for breaking up solids (maybe Dawn dish soap does something). Personally I'm skeptical of the chemicals really breaking down the solids in the time if takes to fill the tank. If you have a solids problem my first change would be more water and less TP. I really look at the tanks as holding tanks not septic tanks. If you are doing lots of short trips with no dumps or extended delay between dumps so solids are sitting the tank awhile then I would personally see more value in the chemicals to break up the solids.

I'm not advocating, just sharing my personal experience and I think you will find people happy using all methods and some unhappy people that have tried all methods.

I'm waiting for the pod I can drop in the tank that just makes that stuff disappear.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
When you say a set how many come in a set how many probes do you need for each tank?
A set has four probes: one for each of the three levels, plus a reference at the bottom. That's how many are in a carded set (although they are available from Valterra in bulk as well), and how many you need for one tank:Those links are to Valterra, the current manufacturer and distributor of Horst probes. They do not sell direct to retail, but there are multiple retails sources; e.g. RV Probes

These probes are not needed for the freshwater tank, and an Escape has a single grey waste tank, so a complete set for the trailer is a pack of four for black and a pack of four for grey.:
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
thank you!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutterslo View Post
None of the fluid levels on my 19 can be believed. Black water reads 2/3rds full when I empty it. Grey water reads 1/2 when I know it's empty. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Anyone know a fix?
I don't know what might get on a gray tank sensor to mess It up except maybe grease but there are probably lots of things. TP gets on the black tank sensors. When you dump, it may not read correctly right away but may a little later. The sensors should right themselves after a little more use. Ours have been wrong sometimes but mostly right. If you use the trailer a lot, you will soon know where a tank is, just as some above know. We use chemicals but that does not necessarily keep TP or other substances from temporarily affecting the sensors.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A set has four probes: one for each of the three levels, plus a reference at the bottom. That's how many are in a carded set (although they are available from Valterra in bulk as well), and how many you need for one tank:Those links are to Valterra, the current manufacturer and distributor of Horst probes. They do not sell direct to retail, but there are multiple retails sources; e.g. RV Probes

These probes are not needed for the freshwater tank, and an Escape has a single grey waste tank, so a complete set for the trailer is a pack of four for black and a pack of four for grey.:
Thanks for the link Brian. For those who want to know, the ones at the link are substantially cheaper than when we bought ours to be installed during the build in early 2015. Seems that Valterra taking over the company has resulted in increased availability and a substantially lower price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk