FM radio reception - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #21
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
I ordered this, and it did come with the Motorola connector for sure... plugged right in to my new automobile radio. But never hurts to call.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:16 PM   #22
JLG

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C (new to us in 2023)
Hello! We just bought a 2017 21C trailer (we're very happy!) and are now wondering how to enjoy music and get news while traveling extensively in it. Our previous trailer came with some high-ish-end sound equipment already all built in, so we never needed to figure any of this out prior. Would you be willing to share more about the Sirius set up you chose? Appreciate any help!
JLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
Hello! We just bought a 2017 21C trailer (we're very happy!) and are now wondering how to enjoy music and get news while traveling extensively in it. Our previous trailer came with some high-ish-end sound equipment already all built in, so we never needed to figure any of this out prior. Would you be willing to share more about the Sirius set up you chose? Appreciate any help!
I'd find a single DIN car stereo you like, and install it on one side of the rearmost upper cabinet, 2 5.25" car speakers, one on each side. Do put a power switch in series with the yellow 'switched power' line or it will drain your battery when you're not using it. If you want Sirius, get a car stereo that has Sirius/XM in addition to AM/FM and bluetooth. I like Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Sony car stereos, I think you'll get better results with any of those rather than budget offbrands. IMHO, look for one that does NOT have an annoyingly flashy display. Most come with a remote control.

If your 21 has the factory 'cable' port, thats on the street side just forward of the wheels, which puts it under the back of end of the bed. You'd need to run an RG coax cable from there up to the head unit, with a 'motorola' antenna plug on the radio end, if you want to use that port for an antenna. IMHO, a better option would be to install a new marine FM antenna right on the upper back of the trailer, these are quite waterproof, put it right behind where you are putting the stereo head unit. You'll need to run power and ground wires up to the radio from the main power center, which is under the dinette bench on my 21, you can hide it behind the corner trim piece from the bench to the overhead cabinets. If you want Sirius/XM, you will also need to install a Sirius satellite antenna on the roof, I would recommend finding a marine one for the same reason, they are meant for installing on fiberglass and they are quite waterproof when properly sealed with Proflex or similar sealant..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 02:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I went through 3 single DIN car stereos, each with a bit higher FM sensitivity rating, trying to improve reception (I am an NPR fan & sometimes they have weak signal out in the sticks). All radios required an aux input that I fed with an XM Radio, and a USB input that I plugged my iPhone into for internet radio or my music collection.

I even switched out the stock Escape antenna for a Shakespeare Marine Antenna, all resulting in a minor improvement over the original radio. I found that if you need really high sensitivity in FM reception, the RFI created by both the solar controller & the converter blanks the radio.

While I like to listen to local stations, particularly for weather warnings when making my springtime run across the south, I spend most of my time listening to favorite on line stations. I'm a sustaining member of WRVO (my hometown station is Oswego, NY), WXXI in Rochester, NY, KBACH (KBAQ) in Phoenix & WUOT in Knoxville, TN.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:02 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My long time experience, probably out of date, is that Pioneer have some of the best FM sections in any car radios. Its probably no longer valid. A good FM antenna is important, you want the feed cable to be as short as practical, and a monopole 'whip' antenna needs a ground plane, something the fiberglass roof of the Escape won't provide. One alternative to this is a center loaded dipole antenna, which has a coil in the middle.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 05:55 PM   #26
JLG

THANKS for ideas and info on FM radio set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I'd find a single DIN car stereo you like, and install it on one side of the rearmost upper cabinet, 2 5.25" car speakers, one on each side. Do put a power switch in series with the yellow 'switched power' line or it will drain your battery when you're not using it. If you want Sirius, get a car stereo that has Sirius/XM in addition to AM/FM and bluetooth. I like Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Sony car stereos, I think you'll get better results with any of those rather than budget offbrands. IMHO, look for one that does NOT have an annoyingly flashy display. Most come with a remote control.

If your 21 has the factory 'cable' port, thats on the street side just forward of the wheels, which puts it under the back of end of the bed. You'd need to run an RG coax cable from there up to the head unit, with a 'motorola' antenna plug on the radio end, if you want to use that port for an antenna. IMHO, a better option would be to install a new marine FM antenna right on the upper back of the trailer, these are quite waterproof, put it right behind where you are putting the stereo head unit. You'll need to run power and ground wires up to the radio from the main power center, which is under the dinette bench on my 21, you can hide it behind the corner trim piece from the bench to the overhead cabinets. If you want Sirius/XM, you will also need to install a Sirius satellite antenna on the roof, I would recommend finding a marine one for the same reason, they are meant for installing on fiberglass and they are quite waterproof when properly sealed with Proflex or similar sealant..

THANK YOU for your generous and detailed response. Very helpful! Will need to do some additional 'research' and all of your information and suggestions make that work much, much easier for me to start. (I also need to do some research on how to best use and participat in this forum -- what a resource for a newbie to Escape trailers!)
Old 07-30-2023, 05:59 PM   #27
JLG

Thanks for specific help with FM radio set up inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I went through 3 single DIN car stereos, each with a bit higher FM sensitivity rating, trying to improve reception (I am an NPR fan & sometimes they have weak signal out in the sticks). All radios required an aux input that I fed with an XM Radio, and a USB input that I plugged my iPhone into for internet radio or my music collection.

I even switched out the stock Escape antenna for a Shakespeare Marine Antenna, all resulting in a minor improvement over the original radio. I found that if you need really high sensitivity in FM reception, the RFI created by both the solar controller & the converter blanks the radio.

While I like to listen to local stations, particularly for weather warnings when making my springtime run across the south, I spend most of my time listening to favorite on line stations. I'm a sustaining member of WRVO (my hometown station is Oswego, NY), WXXI in Rochester, NY, KBACH (KBAQ) in Phoenix & WUOT in Knoxville, TN.

Really appreciate your response to my request for help with FM radio in our new-to-us Escape. The detailed info and real-life ways you use your set up are very, very helpful as we wade into this!! Thank you.