Foggy frameless thermal window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Foggy frameless thermal window

Last week while camping I noticed what looked like fogging and discoloration in several spots on the escape hatch window in our dinette. It only appeared when the afternoon sun was hitting the window at a certain angle, lasted for several hours, and was not visible at other times.

At first I cleaned the glass well inside and out to no avail, and determined that the spots were between the panes of glass. They appeared every afternoon in that campsite. This is the first time since picking up our trailer last year that we have observed this.

My concern was that the seal between the panes was leaking. It appears to be good and solid on the sides and bottom....can't see the top edge where it is hinged. Has anyone else experienced this? Just wondering if it's just an odd occurrence that showed up with a certain angle of sunbeam, or if I should be concerned?
Attached Thumbnails
Foggy window.jpg  
Old 12-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
This happened to me on our 5.0 with a FRAMED window on the passenger side dinette. I talked to Escape and they referred me to Lippert. I called Lippert and they said it was covered under warranty and to take it to a dealer for replacement. I convinced them to ship the window to me at no cost, I would replace it myself and waive any additional claim. They agreed and shipped me the window. I have yet to replace it since the foggy spot comes and goes and we can live with it for now.

The rest of the story is....they shipped me the wrong window the first time! It’s a Frameless 20x30 window that fits on the 5.0 passenger dinette side. They ultimately shipped me the correct one and didn’t want the Frameless window returned. Too much hassle to return I guess. So...IF yours is not covered under warranty and IF this is the correct size, then I’m happy to ship it to you (or hold it for you if our paths cross) if you pay the shipping. No other costs involved since it cost me nothing to begin with.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Is there any chance the camper is haunted?

Could be a ghost!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Is there any chance the camper is haunted?

Could be a ghost!
Hmmmm....hadn't considered that, but the fog does have kind of an orange tint to it, and we lost our dear orange tabby Tiger Lily not long before this trip....
Attached Thumbnails
Table 02.jpg  
Old 12-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
So sorry about your kitty, David

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Me too! Keep the window.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #7

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Last week while camping I noticed what looked like fogging and discoloration in several spots on the escape hatch window in our dinette. It only appeared when the afternoon sun was hitting the window at a certain angle, lasted for several hours, and was not visible at other times.

At first I cleaned the glass well inside and out to no avail, and determined that the spots were between the panes of glass. They appeared every afternoon in that campsite. This is the first time since picking up our trailer last year that we have observed this.

My concern was that the seal between the panes was leaking. It appears to be good and solid on the sides and bottom....can't see the top edge where it is hinged. Has anyone else experienced this? Just wondering if it's just an odd occurrence that showed up with a certain angle of sunbeam, or if I should be concerned?
Just for yuks would you be willing to try an experiment? Take a hair dryer and run it 'full force' all over the window until you can't take it anymore. Theory without much reasoning behind it: the heat may fix a faulty seal. And/or the moisture may (however it inexplicably got between the 2 panes) flash off.

Please disregard if it sounds like a ludicrous suggestion.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
This happened to one of the two frameless windows at the rear of my 17A while under warranty. Escape sent me a replacement window and paid for the hour charge at an rv repair shop for them to install it. All the other windows are fine so far.

Just one idea when you do get it fixed. I find that when opened, the escape window "handle" with the red tip is easily bumped and then the window can "crash" in against the frame. Seems to me it's possible for that to jar the window enough to break the seal. My son drilled a hole through the piece on the frame where the catch is, and then three holes in the handle. I use a cotter pin to hold it in whatever position I want and there's no danger of it being bumped and closing. Even if that isn't what caused the broken seal, it can be a useful mod.

Good luck with the replacement, David.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #9

Great minds think alike
Attached Thumbnails
Escape window latch 1.jpg  
Old 12-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

David and I talked offline and my “spare” frameless window is the wrong side that he needs.

So...if anyone needs a Frameless Window 20x30 that fits on the Passenger Side Dinette of a 5.0 (I’m unsure about other models. You are welcome to it for shipping costs only. I prefer it goes to someone who has a broken window and really needs it.

Let me know.

John
Old 12-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Thanks for the compliment! Well, clearly that's not the problem with your window. I am curious about the hairdryer suggestion!
Old 12-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
David and I talked offline and my “spare” frameless window is the wrong side that he needs.

So...if anyone needs a Frameless Window 20x30 that fits on the Passenger Side Dinette of a 5.0 (I’m unsure about other models. You are welcome to it for shipping costs only. I prefer it goes to someone who has a broken window and really needs it.

Let me know.

John
I don’t know how big your kitchen window is but if it like the small one in our 19, I would be getting out the saw and replacing it with the 20x30.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
... They appeared every afternoon in that campsite. ...
Maybe it's that campsite that's haunted?

Very sorry to read of the loss of your tabby Tiger Lily - that's the troubling bit in this thread, with condolences.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I don’t know how big your kitchen window is but if it like the small one in our 19, I would be getting out the saw and replacing it with the 20x30.

Interesting idea. The kitchen window in the 5.0 is a good size. I’d like to pass this window along to someone who really needs it. It’s sitting in storage in its original shipping container so no hurry. It will be there until the right person who needs it comes along.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #15

Update on my window issue. I emailed ETI and got an immediate response, they provided contact info for Lippert and also the model/part number of the window. Lippert also responded very quickly to my email. The warranty on the windows is only one year, though, and I picked up my trailer in 2019 so I'm out of luck there. Lippert will sell me another window (I haven't contacted their parts dept. to find out the price). For now I'll just wait and see if the fogging gets any worse, if it remains something that only shows up intermittently under a certain angle of sunlight I'll just live with it.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Since it's the escape hatch rear window, David, I don't think you'll want to know the price.
If you do get a quote pass it along for reference please.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:54 AM   #17

I will repeat my earlier offer for those who didn’t see it. I have a spare frameless window (passenger side rear for a 5.0 approximately 20x30) FREE to anyone for the cost of shipping.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Since it's the escape hatch rear window, David, I don't think you'll want to know the price.
If you do get a quote pass it along for reference please.
I just talked to Lippert, a replacement window would be $300 plus shipping - they were unable to do a quick lookup to determine shipping costs but said it would be shipped through UPS. The part number provided by ETI was just what they needed.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
I just talked to Lippert, a replacement window would be $300 plus shipping - they were unable to do a quick lookup to determine shipping costs but said it would be shipped through UPS. The part number provided by ETI was just what they needed.
Not quite as bad as I thought it would be, David. Was figuring up around $500.
You gonna order one or wait a bit?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not quite as bad as I thought it would be, David. Was figuring up around $500.
You gonna order one or wait a bit?
I am not going to jump into buying one - if warranty had covered it I'd go ahead and get it now. And it looks like the opening for the windows is the same on both sides of the dinette, so the extra regular frameless window that JStelly has would fit where my escape hatch is - I'll see if he still has that available. The idea of not having an escape hatch window in the dinette doesn't bother me, I've never heard of anyone actually having to use one.

When we ordered our trailer in late 2018 they were just about to discontinue offering the frameless windows because of all the problems they were having back then. We got them anyway because we really wanted awning windows that we could leave open for ventilation for our cats when we're away all day, and accepted the risk of problems down the road so I can't complain. While our trailer was in production, Lippert bought Hehr and apparently fixed the issue they were having with windows delaminating so Escape continued offering them. In the grand scheme of things, if I have to replace a window it's not the end of the world - I think there's even a video Reace made on the process, doesn't look too difficult.