For those with refrigerator issues…. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For those with refrigerator issues….

Here is a neat device that should allow you to monitor the refer temperature while towing, possibly warning of a malfunction. A blue tooth enabled thermometer that sends the info to your smartphone…..Amazon.com : WeatherHawk myBlue-T Bluetooth Temperature Sensor, Oval, White : Bluetooth Thermometer : Sports & Outdoors
Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Based on the reviews it doesn't sound like the blue tooth signal is too reliable.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

I'll test it this weekend and report back.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
When I saw the title of your post Jim, I thought you had found a solution to my problem and not another gadget to tell me my milk is spoiling. I consider myself "old school" with just a basic flip phone. My electronic leash.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I took Jim's original suggestion A long time ago with a 2 channel system that includes 2 wireless senders and a single receiver to monitor both the refrig and freezer temps locally in the trailer. I must say that it is a stellar setup and I have used the original batteries now for 2 years. I wouldn't camp without it.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Steve-

What brand remote fridge monitor are you using? I'm in the market for one.

thanks,

Mike Lewis
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I use a digital weather thermometer with a separate remote sensor, WalMart. The remote goes inside the fridge, the display sits on the countertop. Tells me weather in the camper and in the fridge. Nice for seeing temp changes. My only wish is for one additional remote sensor I could then leave outside in the tongue box, and a lighted display.

Have learned prolonged door opening is not good. It has been a good reminder to kick it up a dot or two if fridge has warmed up. Prices and styles may vary. Think I paid... $18-$24. ?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use this one. I mounted the display above the ETI tank/battery display panel.

Amazon.com - Chaney Instrument 00985 Wireless Refrigerator Freezer Thermometer Alarm Set - Wireless Temperature Warning

NOTE: Adjusting the LP regulator has significantly helped the fridge propane performance.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
It is made by ACU-RITE and cost less than $40.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Steve-

What brand remote fridge monitor are you using? I'm in the market for one.

thanks,

Mike Lewis
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Dick Cheney makes thermometers now? I knew the guy was cold.
Oh, wait, wrong spelling. Never mind.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Acu-rite is made by Chaney, same unit.

http://www.ambientweather.com/ch986.html
Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
When I arrived home in the Florida panhandle at the end of May, I left my Escape 21's systems turned on and ordered the fridge thermometer that Jamman has. When it arrived I installed it and let the fridge run for several days. The trailer was parked facing east, so the fridge was on the north side. Nevertheless it got a few hours of oblique sun in the morning and late afternoon due to the time of year. The weather varied but it was mostly hot and humid, with highs in the low 90s, typical for June here. The fridge temperature varied from 34 - 45 degrees; the freezer compartment ranged from 2 - 12 degrees. This was under propane power. I had one fan in the refrigeration compartment.

One day I set the fridge to 12 volt power for about five hours, to simulate a typical day of towing the trailer. The fridge temperature climbed to 47 degrees; the freezer stayed within the previous range.

I think with two fridge fans and judicious use of "blue ice" blocks when traveling, I'll be okay.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #13

I just completed 18 days of travel with the refer on propane all but 5 days. I have the remote thermometers and one fan in freezer and one in the refer. The one fan died on the last day coming home due to batteries. My refer fluctuated from 38-48 degrees but my freezer stayed below 10, going down to 0 and up to 10. I kept the setting on #4 most of the time, turning back to #3 at night and up to #5 which seemed not to change so back to #4. Once on 120v I kept it #3.
IMHO the newer thru the roof design helps with the efficiency of the unit. I have the large 6.? in the Escape 21 with no Texas fan addition.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #14

It sounds as if the new 6.7 is preforming well. I believe the 5.0 is a dog. Mine worked fine in the 65/40 temps of Minnesota/Wisconsin @ 3 on gas. But now that I am back in the 90/70 temps of Missouri it is struggling @ 7 on gas with the T fan on. The electric element quit one night a couple weeks back. We awoke to warm, thawed food. I need to figure out why when I get home.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
David, I hope you enjoyed your visit to Minnesota despite the mosquitos. They are really bad this year and we keep getting more rain.

John
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #16

Yes... you have a beautiful state. Very green and full of lakes & streams. The one thing that really hit home was just how free of litter it was. The roads and waterways are clean. People seem to take pride in the natural beauty! Not like down south were empty 12 pack boxes feed range fires and plastic water bottles float on shore by the tons.
Heavy rain drove us out of the Lake Superior region. Only to be greeted by more rain and violent weather in Iowa. Going south now through tornado alley with watchful eyes.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
6.7 cu. ft. Fails While Driving

On the last day, of our post Chilliwack three week trip to pick up our 21, we experienced a complete failure of the refrigerator to keep the temperature in the freezer below what is necessary to keep things frozen while driving. We were questioning the cooling capabilities on other parts of the trip but with short driving distances we did not experience the complete melt down that occurred on the final day. While driving we use the gas with a setting of 4. The refrigerator is the RM8500 series, 6.7 cu. ft.

Being new to the trailer, we did not have an opportunity to install fans or a temperature monitoring system, thus conclusions are based on how frozen items were maintained. Our ice cream was our thermometer, specifically those frozen ice cream bars from the Tillamook Cheese Factory.

While parked, the cooling process worked fine on gas and on shore power electric. We did not try battery operation.

We do not have an idea of what happens when driving. Liz and Jay, we did not resort to riding in the trailer while driving. On that final day, we made several stops and found nothing amiss with the refrigerator, other than some soda we pulled out that seemed a bit warm. Not until arriving home did we find the freezer items thawed out.

I have ordered the temperature monitoring system so on our trip next week we will observe temperatures while driving. If we still see the problem we will have the pressure checked by someone with a manometer and adjust as necessary.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #18

Sorry to hear that, too bad about the frozen mess. If you do not get anything before your next trip, try this shortcut. Place a small bowl in the freezer that has frozen water. Place a penny on top the ice. Check next day to see if the ice melted and allowed the penny to become refrozen inside the ice. If not it may have been a freak blow out.