Ford F150-Trailer Lights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ford F150-Trailer Lights

So as I commented previously I picked up my 21 last week, hooked up, checked the lights and didn't have any turn signals or brake lights on the trailer.

Went to the Chilliwack Ford dealer and they checked fuse number 103 which the manual says is for "trailer tow stop-turn relay fuse". It was fine. From the description you would think that if there was any fuse problem that would be it.

However, on the Ford F150 forum, someone mentioned fuse number 43. It's description is "Trailer tow lamps module". I checked it and it tested good. Sorta sad about that, I was hoping it was blown and the problem was solved. Put it back in place, did a Hail Mary test of lights, and they work.

There are two take aways from this situation.

1. Fuse 103 seems like the obvious one but check # 43 also.

2. The fuses are called by Ford "relay fuses". They don't look like conventional fuses, more like little boxes and I believe that they're called Type M fuses. Neither Canadian Tire or a local auto parts store had any in stock. I'll be getting a couple from the Ford dealer to put with my other spare fuses.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
2. The fuses are called by Ford "relay fuses". They don't look like conventional fuses, more like little boxes and I believe that they're called Type M fuses.
The term "relay fuse" makes no sense - it's a relay, or it's a fuse. It could be a fuse (perhaps in the standardized style of package normally used for relays), or it could be a circuit breaker, or it could just be a relay. How many terminals did it have, and what did it say on it?

The Ford F-150 manual for 2018 (the one I have handy) has one table listing both fuses and relays in the panel. #43 says it protects (not "is") the "Trailer tow lamps module", with a rating of 20 A, and the footnote for the capacity says that it would be an "M case fuse." That makes it a simple fuse (although a time-delay type) - nothing to do with a relay - in a cartridge format (so it is a plastic box with two female sockets on the bottom, rather than the more common ATO or ATC plastic block with two male blades on the bottom). That manual even has a drawing to show what it looks like. One brand is the Littelfuse MCASE line.

"M case", "Type M", and "Class M" are all terms used to describe fuses or relays, and are very different.

Just as restarting most computer systems actually makes a difference (the support people don't tell you to do this just to waste your time), removing and reinserting a device might fix (for now) a marginal terminal connection, such as one suffering from corrosion, especially with a wiping-style contact.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just quoting exactly what the manual states.

Yes, I looked at "relay fuse" and thought "what the heck is that?"

They are the MCASE style. You can look at the side and see the little copper bridge just like other fuses. They probably are slow blow.

Whatever, the dealer wasn't aware that #43 could be a potential source of the problem and they're a style that may not be easily available on the road so I'd like to have a couple of spares.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0026_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just quoting exactly what the manual states.

Yes, I looked at "relay fuse" and thought "what the heck is that?"
Okay, that's in the description of what is protected, complete with lousy wording , not what the device is. It's just a cartridge fuse.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote