Frameless Window Failure - Page 15 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #281

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Nobody?
You did ask if anyone had trouble. I never had so never replied.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #282

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I got the frameless everywhere and am really glad I did.

I did have the bath window delaminate like others have had with it, and Reace just brought me a replacement to the Escape Rally. All the others have worked flawlessly.
So, like many others you "did have the bath window delaminate", but it sounds like you did not observe that the hinge was binding short of the window fully-closing.

I'm hoping I'll have the time to pull it apart in the next couple of weeks, but I was just curious if this was observed by others, particularly as one or more people had the silly thing fail more than once.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #283

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Quote:
In our case the operator channel detached from the inner glass pane.

The window is under a great deal of tension when it is closed as it does not fit the shape of the trailer shell as installed. The awning pane is only relaxed when it's open around 1/4" or more. Otherwise, it's under a great deal of tension at the hinge

I don't think the recall applies to this situation, but I connected with Lippert. They had me send them photos and then the line went dead. I'll have to try getting back to them.

Meanwhile, we are on our second application of duct tape, which is very tacky.
This occured with our bathroom window and the kitchen window, I cleaned off the old adhesive with a razor blade and then used clear silicone to reattach. This has been very a successful repair for more than a year now. I am now cautious not to overtighten this style of window when closing.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #284

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRV View Post
This occured with our bathroom window and the kitchen window, I cleaned off the old adhesive with a razor blade and then used clear silicone to reattach. This has been very a successful repair for more than a year now. I am now cautious not to overtighten this style of window when closing.
I believe that is the secret to these windows, closing them carefully and not too tight.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:40 AM   #285

Quote:
In our case the operator channel detached from the inner glass pane. The window is under a great deal of tension when it is closed.
I removed the lower pane, cleaned up the remains of the duct tape, and reattached the operator channel to the inner pane with clear silicon yesterday (Thanks Russell!). Following curing, it has a very strong bond.

I never figured out for sure why there was so much tension in the hinge, although I think some of it may have been caused by the over-enthusiastic application of black pooky (sealant) at the factory. I cleaned up some of the excess from the two ends of the hinge, and the tension seems to be somewhat less.

Getting the vent pane reinstalled into the frame required quite a bit of pressure to mate the hinge's two channels back together. But, fortune favors the bold and I eventually got it back together without breaking anything.

Lippert has decided to 'goodwill the vent as a curtesy', which apparently means to send me and Dustin at Escape multiple requests for information additional to the six photographs and the model numbers sent previously, including a picture of the long skinny paper tag on the frame with all the numerical hieroglyphics, and a bonus dimensioned drawing that I worked up in Cad. So far, it's been no dice.

Still, there is a distant dream of receiving a new pane delivered to my home at no cost. If I understand correctly, they used to only ship them to dealers for installation, so I guess the recall has about run out of gas.

Maybe I'll never actually use the replacement pane, but there's a dreadful effect on the brain when one hears the word "free".
Old 06-15-2022, 09:43 AM   #286

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C -- 2018 GMC Canyon
frameless window failure

Add me to the list of failed + failing windows.

Just spoke with Lippert Cust Service and was advised to take camper to service center (or mobile service) to inspect and order windows under the recall.

Guess, it's duct tape until this all gets sorted out. >>sigh<<........
heavyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #287

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
Our 'temporary*' fix: we pinched the two panes together by hand then wrapped a couple turns of fiberglass-reinforced strapping tape around them to hold them together. Then covered the strapping tape with some wide black vinyl electrical tape to hide the strapping tape.

*We actually left it like that for more than a year.
That is a creative fix, we might try that the next time the frameless bathroom window fails. Right now we're on our second separation of the glass from the closing mechanism. We carry a roll of white vinyl duct tape and at least it matches the trailer. We also had the outer pane separate from the inner pane at one point.

A couple of years ago we got a replacement window but it is completely different than the other frameless windows and really takes away from the look of the trailer. So, we would like to find a permanent solution that would allow us to retain the style.

Has anyone had long term success with VHB tape. If so, what brand and type did you use?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:08 AM   #288

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There's something called "Super Spacer" used in the repair of double glazed windows. Last time I checked it was out of stock but I'm waiting to get some to repair some failed double glazed windows in my house.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:21 AM   #289

Trailer: 21
Ron, Amazon has it in stock atm or You can get it direct from DK hardware
Old 08-10-2022, 10:15 AM   #290

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Has anyone had long term success with VHB tape. If so, what brand and type did you use?
I tried 3M VHB 4941 tape for mine, and it worked for a while, until it didn't. It just recently failed and I was going to try a better and/or different fix this weekend. I'm trying to do it without actually removing the window, which made the vhb tape application quite difficult to do right. This tape was leftover from my solar panel install project, so I know it is strong enough in theory, but I also know that good preparation and application are very important. When using for the solar panel mounts, both surfaces were carefully cleaned and primed with 3m VHB primer, which is very difficult to do in this case, plus I was in a bit of a rush to hit the road when I did it that time.

Anyways, long story short, I'm thinking of trying some type of adhesive & sealant solution this time, perhaps JB MarineWeld and Lexel, both of which I also have leftover from the solar install...I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #291

Silicone, nothing more is necessary. I have built and resealed enough aquariums to know.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:08 AM   #292

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Which silicone adhesive are you referring to? There are different types of silicone adhesive and many different silicone formulas for different purposes.

Here is another silicone spacer tape that is formulated for bonding glass in high rise buildings.

https://www.tapesolutions.saint-goba...s-skyscrapers#
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #293

Pure silicone in a small squeeze toothpaste type tube is all you need. The cheap stuff! Have some single edge razor blades, paper towels and a small container of soapy water to dip a finger in for a nice smooth finish. Are you reattaching the mechanism or did your panels separate from each other?
Old 08-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #294

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Ron, Amazon has it in stock atm or You can get it direct from DK hardware
Thanks, been too busy using the trailer to think about fixing home windows so hadn't checked lately.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:14 PM   #295

Quote:
Lippert has decided to 'goodwill the vent as a curtesy', which apparently means to send me and Dustin at Escape multiple requests for information additional to the six photographs and the model numbers sent previously, including a picture of the long skinny paper tag on the frame with all the numerical hieroglyphics, and a bonus dimensioned drawing that I worked up in Cad.
Lippert sent me a 14 x 16 awning-style window last May while we were away on the road. I expect that it will probably fit just fine.

It is obscure glass with a screen. It is not split into two panes with a mid-hinge like the original, but the entire pane opens from a top-hinge. I haven't been motivated to check out the fit on the replacement as the silicon caulking fix on the old window performed just fine through five weeks of towing over some 3,500 miles with high temperatures ranging from 34 to 102 degrees.

I had originally sent Lippert pictures, including ones with a paper label visible, but apparently the visible paper label is just the model number for the frame. It looks like they ultimately operated off of a part number provided by Escape.

Quote:
Good Afternoon Lisa,
The part number for that window from Hehr was 6499. The Lippert window that we use from you now that fits that opening is V000524170.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Parts and Service
Click image for larger version

Name:	As-Provided Bath Window Label IMG_5284 (002).jpg
Views:	0
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	64247

So, perhaps they are not manufacturing the mid-hinge window anymore, or perhaps Escape has elected to change to a top-hinge model. Anyways, I got exactly what I received. As I'm not very motivated to change it out, one day it will probably be included with the sale of the trailer, packed away in a cardboard box with all the other accessories and whatnot that we normally include in that final sale when our RVing days are over.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #296

So I ended up fixing mine (again ) with Lexel this time, and it so far seems to be a very strong and secure attachment, and it was very easy to do. But of course I said that last time after using VHB tape and then it came off after a few thousand miles. So, the real test will be during my next big trip across the country, starting next. Will post an update!
Old 08-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #297

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
So I ended up fixing mine (again ) with Lexel this time, and it so far seems to be a very strong and secure attachment, and it was very easy to do. But of course I said that last time after using VHB tape and then it came off after a few thousand miles. So, the real test will be during my next big trip across the country, starting next. Will post an update!
Also just completed our second fix, this time using 3M VHB. For now, I'm pretty happy about the repair but the trailer is just sitting in place. If the fix fails again, we may just seal it up permanently rather than go to a completely different design replacement window. Or, perhaps we'll feel to try the Lexel if/when that time comes .
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:50 PM   #298

So far so good on my Lexel solution, with lotsa miles and lotsa wind over the past few days...
Old 04-23-2023, 09:46 PM   #299

My repair failed sometime over the winter. Technically, the silicon did not fail. However, the silicon pulled the previous adhesive material off of the aluminum channel, so the repair basically failed due to my failure to provide fastidious surface prep when I applied the silicon.

In the course of cleaning the old adhesives and silicon off the window yesterday, I managed to pull the awning pane loose from the window frame and upper pane assembly. I was subsequently not able to re-install the lower pane. This turned out to be a blessing as it prompted me to install the replacement window the manufacturer sent us last year.

Installing the new window with butyl tape went pretty quickly. The mfr hadn't provided a new trim ring with their replacement window, so I spent some time straightening the old one as the mounting screws had distorted it during the original installation.

As mentioned previously, the replacement window is not split into two panes with a mid-hinge like the original. The entire pane on the new replacement window opens from a hinge located at the top of the frame assembly.

I don't know if the different window configuration resulted from a goof in the part numbers, or if this is an adaption by the mfr to solve the problem which had contributed to the many failures. However, I can say that the new full-awning window closes with much less tension so it doesn't constantly pull on the adhesives nearly as much as the old one did.

So, I am thinking it was a blessing that the old repair went south and failed. Time will tell, eh?

Tags
frameless window