Frameless Window Failure - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #201

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ken Wetzk found a company in Florida that rebuilds the frameless windows. I believe he even has 2-3 spare windows he is looking to sell. He had to sell his Escape due to health reasons but had replaced several before it all happened, thus the spares.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #202

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
From your mouth to God's ears, David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Every single person we came into contact with at ETI from purchase through delivery was a joy to work with, and the quality of our trailer is also a testament to the people involved in the production process. That doesn't happen by accident, Reace and Tammy obviously developed that culture as they built ETI and attracted and retained that caliber of staff. Hopefully that culture will endure, there are a lot of people who clearly take much pride in producing these terrific trailers and they are still turning them out today. I wish them every success going forward, and hope Reace and Tammy are able to enjoy some well deserved rest and new adventures.
As someone who'll pick up her 17B in October, I pray you're right. It was hard reading today's posts, especially regarding the 100% failure rate (after less than two years!) for some who ordered frameless windows. I can only pray that those who remain to work at ETI will continue to provide the quality product I spent so much time researching these past several months. Whatever the case, the former owners deserve a rest from their labors and cannot decently be held accountable for whatever may transpire in the future.
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #203

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The only frameless window I had issue with was my bath, and was told that there were a bunch of that one made improperly. Escape provided me with the replacement and 10 minutes of my time saw it replaced. Reace was going to do that at the rally, but I could not make it due to my fall.

All my other windows are fine, I love them way more than the sliders I have had for many years before. I would never want to go back.

I know there was a short time period with some that went bad due to an error in manufacturing, but how many newer ones have failed, like in the last year or so?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #204

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
As someone who'll pick up her 17B in October, I pray you're right. It was hard reading today's posts, especially regarding the 100% failure rate (after less than two years!) for some who ordered frameless windows. I can only pray that those who remain to work at ETI will continue to provide the quality product I spent so much time researching these past several months. Whatever the case, the former owners deserve a rest from their labors and cannot decently be held accountable for whatever may transpire in the future.
It's not too late to change your windows and I doubt given the press on this subject that ETI would charge you to switch. The evidence is pretty clear: prior to frameless being offered the only discussions on this forum about windows was thermal vs. non thermal. Both were framed sliders. Once in a blue moon was there a post about a fogging issue on the thermals.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #205

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It's not too late to change your windows and I doubt given the press on this subject that ETI would charge you to switch. The evidence is pretty clear: prior to frameless being offered the only discussions on this forum about windows was thermal vs. non thermal. Both were framed sliders. Once in a blue moon was there a post about a fogging issue on the thermals.
I wish I knew what percentage Escape owners have actually experienced such failure. Isn't it likely that, other than Jim Bennett, who just responded with thumbs up to frameless on the "Frameless Window" thread, those who've had no problem with the frameless windows are too busy enjoying their windows to respond?

Or perhaps I'm just sticking my head in the sand? Spent so many hours trying to get my build sheet right, and now ….

A poll would certainly be appreciated. Perhaps a senior member would be willing to conduct one?

Ava
Old 08-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #206

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
A poll would certainly be appreciated. Perhaps a senior member would be willing to conduct one?

Ava

I'll pass. I've not seen one in ten years that was of any value.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #207

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
When we first started looking at Escapes early last year it seemed like there was a lot of talk about frameless window failure, and I had the impression it was a significant problem. In fact, at one point last year they decided to stop offering them. But they ultimately reversed that decision and went back to offering both types, and it does seem that the failure rate, especially among new trailers, is lower. Not zero though - just a risk you assume with these windows. I like their functionality enough that I am willing to have to replace a window or two eventually if it comes to that, but so far ours have been fine.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #208

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How did window failure end up on this "Strategic Partner" thread?
Any chance a moderator can put these posts where they belong - like one of the other window failure threads?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How did window failure end up on this "Strategic Partner" thread?
Any chance a moderator can put these posts where they belong - like one of the other window failure threads?
Likely my fault - again - for even mentioning the problem.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #210

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Adrift

Quote:
Likely my fault - again - for even mentioning the problem.
If you haven’t drifted a thread, you haven’t lived. All the good guys and ladies do it.
The Drifters had a great rock and roll sing
Called “Fools fall in Love”. The guitar bridge is beautiful. IMHO. I like their rendition of “White Christmas” too.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 AM   #211

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
3 months in and 4,000 + miles and my frameless windows are doing fine. Will post here if something changes.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #212

Trailer: Escape 1721
I hate to hear about these challenges. We've have our 21 for over two years and driven 15K miles with no problems. I just make sure to not close them too tight when traveling. We really like the windows compared to sliders.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #213

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree, the thermal windows work wonderful if careful, too bad some were tightened too much causing the factory to stop offering the small units. Seven out of nine are dual panes with 2 being single now on my new Escape, whereas all 8 on my last were thermal.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #214

Frameless

It would be nice if the outfit we bought trailers from would offer some options for repair. But there is no profit in that.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #215

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I wish I knew what percentage Escape owners have actually experienced such failure. Isn't it likely that, other than Jim Bennett, who just responded with thumbs up to frameless on the "Frameless Window" thread, those who've had no problem with the frameless windows are too busy enjoying their windows to respond?

Or perhaps I'm just sticking my head in the sand? Spent so many hours trying to get my build sheet right, and now ….

Ava
For what it is worth, no problems with thermal frameless windows, large or small in a 2017 21. Now to find some wood to knock on...
Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #216

Quote:

Ava
There are hordes of Escape owners with the frameless windows that have not had a problem. Most of the ones I know don't and won't post here. Remember that many members post on this site about problems they have and are looking for a solution or idea of what to do. Nothing wrong with this either if you need some help with something. For myself I have mostly just fixed the issue and moved on. If you have not had a problem there is no need to post that. I have actually gotten grief for posting no problem when others are looking for some.

This site has changed from the time I joined when it was new in 2008 when it was mostly sharing of ideas while looking to order an Escape, then sharing ideas on modifications made to trailers so others can see and maybe get more ideas of their own. Maybe due to the great increase in the numbers of Escape's produced and the number of members here it is normal to move to more of a problem solving site. There are still some great members who are sharing their modifications though, it is just that the percentage of these has decrease. Still, all in all, the vast majority of Escape owners are happy with their trailers and have had nothing but small, easy to deal with issues. Sure, there have been a couple major problems like the frame issue, but Escape has come to the front on taking care of these things.

Anyone can do a poll if they want, but I am one who rarely takes part in one as it only includes results from those on here and not those who are out and about happily camping.

All the best in your trailer order, you will be very happy with what you get.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #217

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:

Ava
When I had mine replaced, I had this discussion with Reace (September 2018).

Tammy was claiming they were seeing a low overall failure rate between 1 to 2%. However when I asked Reace, he confirmed that ALL the delamination issues were with the small window. That is used extensively in the 17B, 17A and the optional bathroom and kitchen windows on some of the various other models.

I believe that Tammy was talking about the overall window failure rate, not the rate on the small window. Nor do I believe it was a rigorous accounting, only an estimate.

So, just what is the failure rate? If you were to add up all the windows in all the models, there are 36 standard and 7 optional. All the optional are the small windows. Of the 36 standard windows, 4 are the small units - all on the 17A&B models. So that is a total of 43 windows of which 11 are the small windows.

Not everyone buys the optional windows, nor the frameless package. However just considering the standard configurations, 4 out of 36 are the smaller failure-prone type. So, even an observed low failure rate across the entire window package can be misleading. Which is what I told Reace when we met last year.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #218

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
windows or ?

Over one year and thousands of miles no problems with frameless. Nancy closes the windows from the inside gently and when I walk around outside I always feel the gap as to normal before heading down the road again.
Azjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #219

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Like Jim, Here is another thumps up. Love the windows and wouldn’t want to go back to sliders. My trailer is two and a half years and no problems yet. I hope I didn’t jinx myself!
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #220

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Over one year and thousands of miles no problems with frameless. Nancy closes the windows from the inside gently and when I walk around outside I always feel the gap as to normal before heading down the road again.
Azjack
This is us too. We just lightly snug the windows and have started the pool noodle thing we learned about here. Other than ripping the odd pool noodle slice, its looking pretty solid.

I also use a swipe of 303 rubber and vinyl on the gaskets occasionally. It keeps the window from sticking to the rubber.

We opted for both the frameless windows and the power awning in spite of the concerns expressed here for the looks and convenience. If I have to replace either down the road I will happily do so.

We really love our trailer and as my business law professor was fond of saying"And who can put a price on human happiness or suffering?".
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frameless window