Frameless window won't shut - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I vaguely remember someone had posted info for an outfit that rebuilds windows professionally, using the correct glue and correctly dehumidifying between the panes. That seems like a great option. Anyone happen to remember details?
Maybe this company?
https://suncoastdesigners.com/
Website says lifetime warranty for a repaired window (non-transferable).
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Guess I'm not as picky as some. But if it was the bathroom window I wouldn't care if it fogged up. Not much difference than frosted, even if it was just 'some' of the window. In fact, I might try to figure out how to take it a part and purposely frost it. Of course that ALL depends on how much it costs for a 'professional' repair. We've already seen the full replacement cost
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Member here "wetzk" had a couple of windows done there before having to sell his unit. I believe he may still have a couple.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Guess I'm not as picky as some. But if it was the bathroom window I wouldn't care if it fogged up. Not much difference than frosted, even if it was just 'some' of the window. In fact, I might try to figure out how to take it a part and purposely frost it. Of course that ALL depends on how much it costs for a 'professional' repair. We've already seen the full replacement cost
That is a great solution and For sure the one I would use . I don’t care for the prices . I believe our bath window which isn’t double pane is frosted . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 17B
rvglassrepairservices.com Another one to consider
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
That's my feeling also.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'm glad I found this thread. I have been frustrated twice by the small windows. The first one, next to the kitchen sink, wasn't yet 5 months old when it fogged up. ETI replaced it. The next just happened in the past couple of weeks while parked in our yard. This time the bathroom window came apart.
Although I don't doubt that tension on the outside pane has a role in the failure, I would lean towards construction and design as the route cause. The adhesive must be inadequate. If the window were made perfectly for the trailer, the inside window would come tight against the inner seal and the outer pane would seat lightly. I don't think you should be able to over tighten the window if it were made right and fit right.
Although I have appealed to ETI for assistance, now that I know the window manufacturer will only stand behind their product for one year, I don't suppose I can expect ETI to step up for it. I wonder if the window manufacturer expects repeat customers?
Reading through some of your comments, I think I will consult some local glass shops for advice on the right stuff to do the job. in the meantime, we have a weekend trip planned for this weekend, so I will probably have to default to some good quality double-sided trim tape I have on hand, so the window doesn't let go completely! Later on we can clean it up right so it sticks.
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
For a quick "weekend" repair, wrap the two panes together with a round of electricians tape. If someone asks, they are racing decals!

All my efforts to reglue my windows failed. The factory adhesive seems to have broken down to a viscous blob. If you find success, please let everyone in on the secret!
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
All my efforts to reglue my windows failed. The factory adhesive seems to have broken down to a viscous blob. If you find success, please let everyone in on the secret!
1 800 831 0658 is the telephone number for 3M assistance in finding the correct adhesive.

Generally, when bonding two panels that are subject to peel forces (which sounds like the case with these windows) it is necessary to use a few mechanical fasteners to supplement the adhesive. So it might be difficult to correct the problem with adhesive alone unless you also limit the amount of tightening that contributes to the glass panels peeling apart.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
1 800 831 0658 is the telephone number for 3M assistance in finding the correct adhesive.

Generally, when bonding two panels that are subject to peel forces (which sounds like the case with these windows) it is necessary to use a few mechanical fasteners to supplement the adhesive. So it might be difficult to correct the problem with adhesive alone unless you also limit the amount of tightening that contributes to the glass panels peeling apart.
Add this to the list of "novel uses for bobby pins"!
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is a glue auto glass shops use to fasten the rear view mirror to the windshield. I'd ask. Maybe they'll do the work for little.
As I recall, that's typically cyanoacrylate (e.g. Krazy Glue, Super Glue), but cyanoacrylate doesn't fill gaps, perhaps one reason that the more typical adhesive for automotive glass is polyurethane. Polyurethane glass adhesives are available in auto supply stores, typically in a caulk-style tube. The Sikaflex line of sealants and adhesives, widely used in RVs, includes polyurethane adhesives that would probably work well for one of these windows... but there are many variations to sort through.

Unfortunately, once any silicone product is used on the surface, serious cleaning would be required before any other adhesive would have a chance to work properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As I recall, that's typically cyanoacrylate (e.g. Krazy Glue, Super Glue), but cyanoacrylate doesn't fill gaps, perhaps one reason that the more typical adhesive for automotive glass is polyurethane. Polyurethane glass adhesives are available in auto supply stores, typically in a caulk-style tube. The Sikaflex line of sealants and adhesives, widely used in RVs, includes polyurethane adhesives that would probably work well for one of these windows... but there are many variations to sort through.

Unfortunately, once any silicone product is used on the surface, serious cleaning would be required before any other adhesive would have a chance to work properly.
The strongest glass adhesive I have used is the 3M 590. With clean glass to insure a good bond, there is little chance this stuff is going to let go. 1170 lb tensile strength.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/8...t-brochure.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/3M-590-Polyur.../dp/B003P9WW72
Old 02-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Bathroom window will not shut

The closing mechanism came loose from my Hehr double pain bathroom window. This has been an ongoing problem, where double-sided VHB tape does not seem to hold it.
But beyond that, I opened the window manually to clean the area where the mechanism holds, and I must have opened it too far. It popped and now there is a 1/4 inch gap between the stationary part of the window and the opening part. The window wants to stay about 2 inches open and requires significant force to push it closed. I have tried pushing the opening part up to close the gap, but it opens back up. (I have a photo to post, but I have been denied permission.)

Does anyone know how to re-close the gap between the windows? Due to the window seals, I am unable to see how the lower window is hinged. I've thought about tapping the bottom of the hinged window with a rubber mallet, but this could have unintended consequences.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #34

Posted Picture

Here is the picture I intended to post. As you can see, we are in Quartzsite.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN9428.jpg  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #35

Hehr's phone number

I tried the 800 number in post 11 to contact Hehr. It was a company that sells Hehr products. They gave me the number 989-845-3061, which is Hehr's Missouri plant. I tried it, but apparently they are closed Friday afternoons.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #36

Trailer: 17
Duncan systems RVglass.com responded to me looking for a RV glass shop. They have a big network, Just passing it along , maybe a plan B for you.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape stopped installing the small double paned windows for this reason, my thermal windows are only single pane in the bath and drawer stack. You may have to be like everyone else now...I just use some reflextix in the winter months.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #38

At this point, I would just like to get the window shut and seal it shut.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
The closing mechanism came loose from my Hehr double pain bathroom window.
Double pain...nice play on words given the situation even if unintentional
Old 02-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While all other windows have been working great, my bath window did delaminate last year, and Reace gave me the replacement which is only single glazed but will work good. These bath windows have been a problem for them.

Richard, would Escape supply the replacement?

Oh yeah, my entry door window became an issue when a thief smashed it in.

It was really nice that each window took no more than 10 minutes to replace. Quick and easy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote