Frameless window won't shut - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While all other windows have been working great, my bath window did delaminate last year, and Reace gave me the replacement which is only single glazed but will work good. These bath windows have been a problem for them.

Richard, would Escape supply the replacement?

Oh yeah, my entry door window became an issue when a thief smashed it in.

It was really nice that each window took no more than 10 minutes to replace. Quick and easy.

Yes, but not for free. We ordered a new window which will be installed by ETI the day before we arrive at Osoyoos. I'm also getting an electric jack installed.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Has anyone installed a replacement window yet?

So I received a single pane replacement window for the bathroom in the fall, and will have to get busy installing it soon.
Has anyone installed a new one themselves yet?
I have the inner and outer parts, and a handful of sheetmetal screws, but no pre-drilled holes to screw them together.
I wonder how they do these at ETI?
I can assume that I will be drilling some small pilot holes and simply screwing them together, but thought I'd touch base with the collective to see if anyone has any experience... great ideas, things to avoid...
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfielder View Post
So I received a single pane replacement window for the bathroom in the fall, and will have to get busy installing it soon.
I have the inner and outer parts, and a handful of sheetmetal screws, but no pre-drilled holes to screw them together.
I can assume that I will be drilling some small pilot holes and simply screwing them together, but thought I'd touch base with the collective to see if anyone has any experience... great ideas, things to avoid...
There should be holes for the screws in the inside trim ring and none in the window - the screws are self tapping and will make their own holes in the window.

Install the screws like you would tighten a tire wheel - one on the top, one on the bottom, one on the left side, one on the right side, etc. until all the holes have screws. Don't tighten the screws down until all the screws are installed to prevent warping the trim.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Almost forgot, make sure to look for any spots like the pic below and fill the irregularity with some sealant. That step area is what will cause it to leak later as the foam strip has difficulty sealing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Window-leak-point.jpg  
Old 03-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfielder View Post
I had to do the same. It is really easy. You remove the screws on the inner flange that effectively pulls the window tight to the fibreglass. Then carefully pry the window out, which is not too hard as their is no caulk or sealant holding it, it uses a foam gasket as a seal. Clean up the fibreglass while the window is out, then have someone hold the window from the outside while you screw the new flange on the inside. This took about 10 minutes to do.

I had to do the door window too, as thieves had broken it to get in. It was just as easy to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks folks. You confirmed what I had in mind, and that hint about sealing the joint in the frame of the window is the kind of helpful insight I was hoping for.
I haven’t looked at the window since the fall, when I boxed it back up and set it inside the trailer before winterizing and covering.
The old window looked to me like it wouldn’t allow any moisture in, despite the popped outside pane, and with the cover keeping it from exposure to rain/wind/snow I figured it should be okay to wait for drier weather before breaking the outer seal.
First trip is Easter....must do soon!
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
The closing mechanism came loose from my Hehr double pain bathroom window. This has been an ongoing problem, where double-sided VHB tape does not seem to hold it.
The closing mechanism on our 2017 double pane bathroom window has also separated. ETI gave us Lippert contact info and part numbers.

We haven't got a response back from Lippert, but expect a replacement will be pricey.

Has anyone had any success with simply reattaching the mechanism to the window?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
The closing mechanism on our 2017 double pane bathroom window has also separated. ETI gave us Lippert contact info and part numbers.

We haven't got a response back from Lippert, but expect a replacement will be pricey.

I finally used epoxy and glued the window permanently shut. I had an appointment with ETI to get the window replaced with a single pane window for $317 Canadian, parts and labor. But I had to cancel when travel to Canada was restricted.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I finally used epoxy and glued the window permanently shut. I had an appointment with ETI to get the window replaced with a single pane window for $317 Canadian, parts and labor. But I had to cancel when travel to Canada was restricted.
Reace gave me a bathroom window when mine delaminated. It took about 10 minutes to exchange. Maybe you could get it shipped.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Reace gave me a bathroom window when mine delaminated. It took about 10 minutes to exchange. Maybe you could get it shipped.

I asked about shipping. It was $50 Canadian. We find we really don't miss the window not opening. With the fan on we get plenty of ventilation under the door, where we had the gap placed.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Although our Escape does not have this style of window. I remember that the delamination started to occur on some windows shortly after delivery a couple ? Few? Years ago. Wasn’t there a discussion that the Hehr factory that produced the defective windows was in California and the Hehr factory that produced other frameless windows was in Illinois? Don’t remember much more than that but I think there was a “common thread” to that effect. I’m trying to keep a mental gymnastics memory routine going to convince myself I’m not getting old.
Good luck in your repair. A foggy bathroom window wouldn’t be the end of the world if replacement costs seem exorbitant. Other windows, not so good.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Good luck in your repair. A foggy bathroom window wouldn’t be the end of the world if replacement costs seem exorbitant. Other windows, not so good.
Iowa Dave
Our problem isn't a foggy window. The opening mechanism separated from the window pane. I suspect it is because the bathroom glass isn't smooth.

I sent an email to Lippert with the part numbers that ETI gave me and haven't had a response in over week.

It is too bad that we are traveling thousands of miles with white tape on the outside holding the window in. Kind of striking on an otherwise sparkling trailer and not the best advertising I would think.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Can you show us a picture?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Although our Escape does not have this style of window. I remember that the delamination started to occur on some windows shortly after delivery a couple ? Few? Years ago. Wasn’t there a discussion that the Hehr factory that produced the defective windows was in California and the Hehr factory that produced other frameless windows was in Illinois? Don’t remember much more than that but I think there was a “common thread” to that effect. I’m trying to keep a mental gymnastics memory routine going to convince myself I’m not getting old.
Iowa Dave
You are not getting old (well, at least the mind). Mt 2017 bathroom window "delaminated", ie the two panes of glass separated. I pulled the window and used epoxy to glue the two pieces back together. If it fogs, I don't care since it is the bathroom window.

The epoxy has held well so far, so I suspect it could be used to reattach the opening mechanism back to the glass. I used white JB Water Weld.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:22 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Can you show us a picture?
Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200816_195003.jpg  
Old 08-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
J B Priducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You are not getting old (well, at least the mind). Mt 2017 bathroom window "delaminated", ie the two panes of glass separated. I pulled the window and used epoxy to glue the two pieces back together. If it fogs, I don't care since it is the bathroom window.

The epoxy has held well so far, so I suspect it could be used to reattach the opening mechanism back to the glass. I used white JB Water Weld.
Hi Jon
I’ve had good luck with the JB line of products. I have found its best if you shop at a place where they have a complete line of product . Some of the uses “will probably do” and others read “ just what I am looking for” on the “suitable surfaces” side of things. Hope you’re doing as well as can be expected and hope to see you along the line somewhere in the future.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #57

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Just throwing this out there but one could try the 3M double sided trim tape. Clean both surfaces completely thou so it bonds properly.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post

I recently had exactly this same problem shortly before leaving on a trip (of course). I just happened to have some 3M double sided trim tape (as suggested by @Oldtimer). I think any high quality double sided outdoor thick/foam tape (VHB tape) should work. I removed the lower window, which is easy to do when it is detached from the closing mechanism, and scraped off the black adhesive and cleaned that area with a solvent. I also removed the sliding track part of the mechanism on the end of the arms and cleaned it. The track has a channel where the glue was attached and I had to build the tape up to 3 layers so final layer of tape was above the side of the channel. I then repositioned the track and rehung the lower window, lined up everything, and pushed them together. I used some clamps and wood to carefully hold them in tight contact for 24 hours. I would recommend doing this in warm/hot weather when the tape is most flexible and sticky.

So far my repair has held together (only 1.5 months), but I don't trust it. The window could fall out if this connection came apart on the road. I put black duct tape (Gorilla brand) over the joint between the two window halves. Also, I don't close the window all the way when traveling since that puts the most tension on the connection to the glass. A little rain in the bathroom window shouldn't be a big problem. Perhaps I'll trust it more after it has more time on it and I will take off the duct tape.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
I too had the double stick foam tape release on my bathrrom and now my kitchen window. I was successful with removing cleaning and reinstalling the bathroom window using silicone adhesive on the rail.
my problem is the other window now removed just will not go back on the hinge! any tricks or advice? I really do not want to break it trying to reinstall it.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote