Frameless Windows and Maxxfan - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
That's an excellent point - previously Escape would absolutely not mix and match windows, but now apparently they will do that. Of course, now you have even more possible combinations to decide between....

Not another decision!!! I'll never get my build sheet complete...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well they were inadvertently doing that. On one side of my 21 I have a framed awning bathroom window, an unframed window in the door that I hate, and two framed sliders. I would have much preferred the small vertical slider that my 19 had because the awning window hits the awning arm unless the awning is out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #43

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
In the livestream, Karl said that you could mix the framed and frameless windows...so for example if you really prefer the framed, but want the rear to open, you could put the frameless in the rear only. He mentioned it would look odd, but I don't think so; it's a different plane/side all to itself, not as obvious as mixing types on one side of the trailer.
I need to call Escape and see if the frameless and fixed rear window are the same opening. I really don't care looking out the frameless rear window and we get plenty of ventilation anyway. We'd rather have the unobstructed view without screens.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well they were inadvertently doing that. On one side of my 21 I have a framed awning bathroom window, an unframed window in the door that I hate, and two framed sliders. I would have much preferred the small vertical slider that my 19 had because the awning window hits the awning arm unless the awning is out.

Ron
Ron,
You can always replace that door window with a framed one, they have kits and some even open or have built in shades. I replaced mine on my Eggcamper with an opening one.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #45

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
The only photo that I have that shows both is an old one with my 19.

The legs detach and can be moved outboard, either vertically or in this case at an angle to hold the sun shade at a good angle.

The bases have holes and I use a couple of 12" spikes as "tent pegs". Even if it's rocky they go in. With the legs secured to the ground it can get pretty breezy without any worry.

The floppy stopper is the black object at the edge of the awning. With them tensioned up the awning can stay up in a pretty good breeze.

Ron
Thanks so much for the photo and explanation, Ron! I've just ordered everything needed to secure my awning - camping or traveling.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #46

You're welcome. I should have mentioned that when I spike the awning legs down I use 2 spikes per foot. They are driven in at an angle to each other. That prevents a strong upwards pull from easily pulling them out.

Ron
Old 05-14-2020, 10:52 PM   #47

Quote:
You're welcome. I should have mentioned that when I spike the awning legs down I use 2 spikes per foot. They are driven in at an angle to each other. That prevents a strong upwards pull from easily pulling them out.

Ron

Old 05-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #48

Would it not make sense to have the spike pull out in high wind vs the awning tearing, something has to give, why not make the spike the weak link?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The MaxxFan is a fantastic thing for creating a nice flow of fresh air, especially if there is no breeze outside. It is nice an quiet at the lower settings needed to do this. Great for those warm/hot nights where you can crack the windows by the bed and enjoy a nice soothing breeze keeping the fresh air flowing across you.

After 30 years of travel trailer ownership, this is my first with the frameless awning windows. I very much like them over the framed sliders. Look wise for me they win big time, no frames and only one smooth pane of glass showing, nice! Operation wise, they both work, but the awning is a much easier thing to operate. The sliders do not bad if you keep the tracks clean and lubed with dry silicone.

Having always had manual awnings prior to the electric on my 5.0TA, I now have had good experience with both. There are pluses to both styles. With the manual it is cheaper and stronger full extended in heavy rain. Though I had a manual collapse in what was an extremely heavy rain while I was dealing with other camp stuff. Hanging stuff on them if desired is easier too. The electric still wins in my books and my wife loves it as she can easily operate it. No running out on that stormy night where the wind pick up and could destroy, no arms in the way at all which also to me gives the trailer a nicer look too. In the rain, I can keep the awning out 5' and shed water well, and fully out with a support under it. Some may balk at this support, but having to use it on very rare occasions is really not that big of a deal, and way easier than the two you must use on the manual awning every time.

Lots of opinions, though still valid, are based on observation and not using the various items in practise. As well, we all tend to support our own choices, this is natural. With many of these options there is really no single right answer for everyone. It is for the individual to choose based on their own likes and needs, though using others opinions can help with that.

Anyway, the MaxxFan is a big plus for all, but as far as the windows or awning go, either one will work to help you enjoy the travel trailer camping while getting you out to make all those great memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #50

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Would it not make sense to have the spike pull out in high wind vs the awning tearing, something has to give, why not make the spike the weak link?
Because then you have awning/arms banging against the camper or ground. I'd rather replace the canvas than the entire awning.

When we're not camping our 5.0 sit in a seasonal site .8 mile from our condo. In the campground there are owners who keep their awnings out all year. They do keep them lowered and have to raise them when entering the camper. It makes no sense to me, except they save a minute or two deployment. These are manual awnings.

Can't remember if it was the Cougar, Jayco, or Lance, but one had a problem in if you kept it out in a wind the motor end would pull out and drop that awning end on the ground. I was later informed by another seasonal that they had the same thing happen with their identical awning. My guess is that problem is fixed now by the manufacturer.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That would be a very difficult feat to engineer unless you used a tiny peg that barely did anything.

I prefer to use my brain to decide if things are getting too wild to keep the awning out. Being a veteran sailor I know the saying "reef when you first think of it." Don't always follow that though and have never had a problem.

Ron
Old 05-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #52

Quote:
That would be a very difficult feat to engineer unless you used a tiny peg that barely did anything. I prefer to use my brain to decide if things are getting too wild to keep the awning out. Being a veteran sailor I know the saying "reef when you first think of it." Don't always follow that though and have never had a problem. Ron
I'm going to try the 10" tent pegs I already have before purchasing the 12" pegs you use. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't a sailor's experience, but perhaps those 2 inches will give me the additional leeway needed should things begin to go south. This may be wishful thinking, but isn't the mesh wind screen likely tear before the awning suffers damage? Whatever the case, I'll keep a good eye out when camping at places like Ocracoke, where squalls and high winds can erupt rather quickly.

Missing my native NC and looking forward to getting back there soon, certainly in time for our annual beach trip at Emerald Isle in July.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I made my own out of spikes and poly rope. You can't bend these. Make sure you don't drive it into a tree root.
Attached Thumbnails
tent peg.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #54

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (June 2020..hopefully)
I just went through the same agonizing decision. Besides being able to have windows open in the rain, the big issue that helped me decide on frame-less windows was the condensation problems that framed windows have. I'm in the PNW and will probably be spending much of my time in colder climes (Northern gal here).
Allswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allswell View Post
I just went through the same agonizing decision. Besides being able to have windows open in the rain, the big issue that helped me decide on frame-less windows was the condensation problems that framed windows have. I'm in the PNW and will probably be spending much of my time in colder climes (Northern gal here).
.......and the reason for this is the metal frames are conducting the outside cold to the interior where the warmth will cause condensation. Less heat loss and less wiping condensation with frameless.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #56

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (June 2020..hopefully)
Good explanation, Jim. I should've mentioned that. I worked in a new building with aluminum-framed windows with exterior temperatures below -20F. The frames would develop a thick layer of frost and there would be a steady draft sliding down the wall. I'm guessing the architect wasn't thinking about what it would actually feel like having to sit next to those windows in such cold temps. They looked good though. I can see how easy moisture can build up in a travel trailer especially in the PNW.
Allswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I made my own out of spikes and poly rope. You can't bend these. Make sure you don't drive it into a tree root.
Mine's bigger than yours.

Yup, steel spikes for sure. The commercial plastic ones, even some aluminum ones are pathetic. One hit on a rock and they're broken or bent.

The steel spike is one of two that I drive at angles to hold the awning foot firmly down. Even if it's rocky, with a 2 lb. sledge in they go.

The yellow one, sold as a dog tether, has been a nice surprise. On beaches, like in Baja, it holds in sand really well for things like clothes line poles etc. I still use a hammer but if it seems to stop because it's hit something solid I don't force the issure. It's held up really well.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0031_resize.JPG  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #58

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGreen View Post
In the process of spec-ing out 5.0. Still am undecided on the damn windows. I have read all of the posts on the topic and have seen that people will use the Maxxfan to aid ventilation. Can someone comment on the noise level of the fan? I assume the fan is standard option?

Thanks so much!
Maxxair fan is very quite on all, but, the highest settings. It is MUCH QUIETER than standard RV vent fans. I have a Maxxair 7500 (auto power open and close) in my Sprinter van and it is awesome!!! One thing to know that I haven't seen mentioned is that when set to a temperature the fan will vary it's speed, the higher above the set temperature the faster it goes.

I'm going with the framed windows. The IMO, I don't think the frameless look any better. The frameless ones don't look sleek and stick out. If Escape had recessed the window openings in the mold it would be a different story.

The other factors are that the framed windows open further IMO. The frammed emergency exit window tilts out, the same as frameless windows for ventilation when raining. I don't leave windows open when I'm not at the trailer, but, as my wife pointed out, you could leave the framed wet bath window open and not have to worry about rain if you do want one window open when your away.

The final deciding factor for us, is we are getting the standard awning, and the frameless windows don't work well with the awning support bars.

I'll check for a decibel meter app for my phone, and see if I can get some readings or at least record some video if not.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #59

You can upgrade the MaxxFan to a deluxe model with remote and smoked cover, makes the interior look better day and night. I installed one on my first Escape and ordered it on my others. Picture on left is stock and on right is smoked, one can see the sky during the day, like another window in your Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0099.jpeg   IMG_0788.jpg  
Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
M

I don't leave windows open when I'm not at the trailer, but, as my wife pointed out, you could leave the framed wet bath window open and not have to worry about rain if you do want one window open when your away.

The final deciding factor for us, is we are getting the standard awning, and the frameless windows don't work well with the awning support bars.
On my old 19 the bathroom window was a slider that opened upwards. On my new 21 the bathroom window is a small 1/2 awning window. I'm not sure which window will be in your new 19 but if it's the 1/2 awning the bathroom will stay dry not that we ever had rain come in that window on the 19.

A minor irritation for us is the 21, with framed windows, the bathroom window is behind the awning support and it's a mini awning type so we can barely open it when the awnings not out. Minor irritation because we got the window mostly for letting in light.

Ron

Tags
fan, windows