Frameless Windows and Maxxfan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Frameless Windows and Maxxfan

In the process of spec-ing out 5.0. Still am undecided on the damn windows. I have read all of the posts on the topic and have seen that people will use the Maxxfan to aid ventilation. Can someone comment on the noise level of the fan? I assume the fan is standard option?

Thanks so much!
LuGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The noise level of the fan is directly proportional to the selected speed. Any fan blade will create noise. At its lowest speed, the MaxxFan’s sound is not intrusively loud.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
see Ed's set up post 223

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-12918-12.html

I just ordered my stuff last week . should be on boat over and arrive in time for trailer pickup.

I also had a hard time with the windows, but I really wanted something that would be able to be left open in rain. Honestly I don't think you be sure until you get to use them.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Windows are a personal choice ( they all work ). I got frameless thermal.
Maxxfan is a necessity . When you need it you'll be glad you got it. It is not loud.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
On the low speed it is silent, can not be heard, or my hearing is shot..... Love the sleek look of the frameless, had them in both my last 2 Escapes.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Love the sleek look of the frameless, had them in both my last 2 Escapes.
Your sleek look is my unfinished looking, protruding, trouble prone look.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA currently in "The Build Queue"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Your sleek look is my unfinished looking, protruding, trouble prone look.

Ron
Can you explain what you see as the problems of the frameless windows? I'm not sure which way to go either.
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
Can you explain what you see as the problems of the frameless windows? I'm not sure which way to go either.
If you search the forum you'll find endless discussions about frameless windows vs. framed sliders. Previously ETI had non-thermal sliding windows as standard but they have upgraded to thermal sliders as standard now with the frameless windows as an option.

When the frameless windows were introduced several years ago, early models had a significant incidence of problems with the two panes of glass separating. Hehr, the original manufacturer, was bought out by Lippert and the production moved to a different facility. Since then it seems that delamination problems have been pretty rare, so I don't think this is really much of an issue with current production.

The frameless windows are hinged at the top and open awning-style so they can be left open in the rain. This was a big factor for us, being able to leave the trailer and have windows open for air circulation for our cats. They don't open wide - perhaps 3" or so - but we have found that they allow for plenty of ventilation. Between having several windows open or even just one and the Maxxfan running it isn't hard to get a good volume of air circulation. Some people prefer the clean, single panel exterior appearance of the frameless windows over the sliders which have a metal frame showing.

The sliders can certainly open very wide, fully open the opening size is almost half the window. This means that blowing rain could come in, so you probably don't want to leave the trailer with windows open. On a 5.0TA, if you go with the framed slider windows, the windows in the bunk area are fixed panels and do not open. However, even with the frameless windows we find that we don't open the bedroom windows often, the large escape hatch in the ceiling provides excellent ventilation and we use that when we want fresh air to flow through the bedroom. Also, with the framed slider window option, the large rear dinette window is a single fixed panel that does not open. That could be a drawback, but is nice in another way - it has no screen, and no vertical bar dividing the panel in half like the rear frameless window has, so the view out the back would be more unobstructed.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you go with the sliders, there will actually only be two sliding windows on the 5.0TA that open - the kitchen window and the passenger side dinette. On either option, the driver side dinette window is an awning-style escape hatch.

Another consideration is the awning. With frameless windows and a manual awning, the rear awning arm comes down in front of the dinette window and it can not be opened unless the awning is extended. That's not as big a deal as it sounds since with the frameless windows your rear window would be able to be opened if the awning was blocking the side window.

Both types of windows have their advantages and disadvantages - it's not a matter of which is best, but rather which suits your camping style and preferences.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Well said, David........
Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #10

Jim, I've always thought that one of the wonderful things about Escape is that they offer multiple options and features so that someone can outfit a trailer specifically for their needs. So many discussions ultimately devolve into "my way is better", but with window style, awning type, etc. there is no one best choice, just what is best suited for any one person.

That's true of most of the features on the Escape.....but don't ask me which truck is best
Old 05-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #11

You've definitely armed us with some good information for our decision making process! Thank you David.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
You've definitely armed us with some good information for our decision making process! Thank you David.
Just noticed your avatar about the leaky old trailer, Laurie - we came to Escape via the same route, here's our old 1999. We loved it and if it had lasted forever we'd still be using it. We love our Escape even more...and we WILL be using it forever!
Attached Thumbnails
1999.jpg  
Old 05-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If you want to get a good representation of this topic, I would go to the big stick trailer forums like RV Net , IRV2. There are so may more units produced with frameless windows that are out in the wild for much longer than Escape has been using them. Hard to do right now, but the big RV shows will allow you to see them, operate them and talk to folks about the different options.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Of course there's also the matter of aesthetics. When I built my first boat in 1977 the style of the day was acrylic windows without a frame. Always looked unfinished to me so I hand beat aluminum frames. No structural purpose, just aesthetics.

On the 21 the frameless door window that is supplied, even with framed windows, appears to be just crying out for a frame.

When ETI first was switching to frameless windows there was a SOB beside us with them. I commented to my wife that was the style ETI had switched to. Her comment, well, let's just say she didn't care for the look. Fortunately, as things worked out, ETI again offered a choice between the two styles. I'm really not sure that I would have switched to the 21 if frameless were the only ones offered. But then I like my manual awning and would never have a power one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Also, with the framed slider window option, the large rear dinette window is a single fixed panel that does not open. That could be a drawback, but is nice in another way - it has no screen, and no vertical bar dividing the panel in half like the rear frameless window has, so the view out the back would be more unobstructed.

Another consideration is the awning. With frameless windows and a manual awning, the rear awning arm comes down in front of the dinette window and it can not be opened unless the awning is extended. That's not as big a deal as it sounds since with the frameless windows your rear window would be able to be opened if the awning was blocking the side window.
We have awning windows and love them, except we wish we had talked them into giving us the fixed, rear dinette window. At some point I'm going to see if the opening is the same and replace those opening rear windows with a fixed to get a better view.

Our passenger dinette window opens about 3/4" with the awning not deployed, perfect for us. With the drivers side dinette window, kitchen window, bed windows, the escape hatch, and the door, we get plenty of air.
Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #16

I like a manual awning too ... Let it rain, I'm covered!!
Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Just noticed your avatar about the leaky old trailer, Laurie - we came to Escape via the same route, here's our old 1999. We loved it and if it had lasted forever we'd still be using it. We love our Escape even more...and we WILL be using it forever!
Yes ... our old fifth wheel is still going strong. It's been a love-hate relationship with all the repairs and it has repaid us with a lot of great adventures.
But, along came Escape and a tour of an owner ambassador's 5.0TA. My husband and I fell in love and knew that it was our future. Less repairs, more travel!!
Old 05-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We have awning windows and love them, except we wish we had talked them into giving us the fixed, rear dinette window. At some point I'm going to see if the opening is the same and replace those opening rear windows with a fixed to get a better view.

Our passenger dinette window opens about 3/4" with the awning not deployed, perfect for us. With the drivers side dinette window, kitchen window, bed windows, the escape hatch, and the door, we get plenty of air.
Enjoy,

Perry
Hello Perry,
Do you have any regrets about having a manual awning with the frameless windows? ... Aesthetics, operation of the awning or other issues?
I'm starting to lean your way (manual awning & frameless windows) with our build.
Laurie
Old 05-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Of course there's also the matter of aesthetics. When I built my first boat in 1977 the style of the day was acrylic windows without a frame. Always looked unfinished to me so I hand beat aluminum frames. No structural purpose, just aesthetics.

On the 21 the frameless door window that is supplied, even with framed windows, appears to be just crying out for a frame.

When ETI first was switching to frameless windows there was a SOB beside us with them. I commented to my wife that was the style ETI had switched to. Her comment, well, let's just say she didn't care for the look. Fortunately, as things worked out, ETI again offered a choice between the two styles. I'm really not sure that I would have switched to the 21 if frameless were the only ones offered. But then I like my manual awning and would never have a power one.

Ron
Thanks for your input Ron,
I just wish Escape put a few more sliding windows in the 5.0 TA.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Hello Perry,
Do you have any regrets about having a manual awning with the frameless windows? ... Aesthetics, operation of the awning or other issues?
I'm starting to lean your way (manual awning & frameless windows) with our build.
Laurie
Zero regrets!

We camp in the shoulder seasons and it rains. Sometimes it rains and rains and rains and rains. Manual awnings are simple, have been improved over the years, and are cheaper. Besides, I don't think there will be an electric problem.

The only problem people with the "other" awning come up with is on rare occasions (one? two?) the manual has unrolled going down the road. Ours never have, but they those with the "other" awning need to find a flaw, but that's really it. Just start searching for electric, wind, and retraction problems with the "other" awning. You'll have plenty of reading.

It does take about 3 minutes to deploy the manual and less than 2 minutes to retract. Works for us. Then lets not even get into the physics of the strength of the two options.

We do have a wind sensor though. When she says, "Retract the awning!" I retract the awning. Although the sensor has seen a few years, she is still fully functional!

Enjoy,

Perry

Tags
fan, windows