Fridge fan and tank heater switches - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Fridge fan and tank heater switches

Found the fridge fan switch in the fridge compartment, it was off. Should it be normally left on? May I assume the fan would only run when cooling?

Tank heaters: How are these turned on?

The above refers to our used 2017 5.0 TA with those options.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Found the fridge fan switch in the fridge compartment, it was off. Should it be normally left on? May I assume the fan would only run when cooling?

Tank heaters: How are these turned on?

The above refers to our used 2017 5.0 TA with those options.
Don't know about the fridge fan...maybe it would help to add your fridge model #?

We do have the tank heaters on our 2019 E21 and our on/off switches are located under the driver side dinnete bench (above the water pump). Hope this helps. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:57 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had to add my own switch, it runs when on, irregardless of the temperature. No idea about yours. Did the fan go on when you turned it on? It's possible ETI started installing switches at some point, hopefully someone with a 2017 will pipe in.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It's possible ETI started installing switches at some point, hopefully someone with a 2017 will pipe in.
I am unaware of a fridge fan switch in our 2017 5.0 TA, a factory floor display unit. It was not mentioned at orientation and I have not noticed a fan switch. Perhaps a previous owner added to the OP's trailer?
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
I am unaware of a fridge fan switch in our 2017 5.0 TA, a factory floor display unit. It was not mentioned at orientation and I have not noticed a fan switch. Perhaps a previous owner added to the OP's trailer?
My 2017 (August pickup) 21C has a Texas fan installed by Escape. There is a switch installed inside the lower outside refrigerator cover. Escape warns not to leave the switch in the on position when traveling - can cause the thermal safety fuse to open.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

The original owners optioned both the extra fridge fan and the tank heaters. That model of fridge does not come equipped with one. As previously mentioned the switch is in the outside fridge compartment. It was a $175 option. I do not have the build sheet in front of me so I don't remember the cost of the tank heaters. Not relevant. We are the second owners. The original owners added nothing after the fact. I will run the fridge to see if with the fan switch on the fan runs. I think I would be able to hear it run even with my hearing, (just ask my wife about that.) I have spent time in the electrical compartment under the bench installing bracing for the Lagun table and do not recall seeing a switch for the tank heaters. I'll have to look again, but it would seem to be an odd and out of the way location for a switch.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
I searched our exterior fridge compartment: no switch. If it was an added-cost option, this is not surprising, as it does not show up on the build sheet. Our Dometic fridge model number (on a sticker on sheet metal in the exterior compartment) is DM 2663 LBX.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
I searched our exterior fridge compartment: no switch. If it was an added-cost option, this is not surprising, as it does not show up on the build sheet. Our Dometic fridge model number (on a sticker on sheet metal in the exterior compartment) is DM 2663 LBX.
Not surprising the original owner opted for the optional fan, as they are Arkansas residents. On my way back from there when I bought it to Tennessee it was about 90 degrees and the fridge worked fine and obvious the switch was off as I just found it yesterday and it was off then. So I am happy it performed well even without the fan running. Curiously, my model fridge which according to the diagram is not equipped with the fan, I do not have the model # in front of me now. The switch looks like it had been added after the fact due to the way it was zip tied in place. Again, that was done at the factory.