Fridge Fun, again - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...I also think that the propane would only flow when the piezo is clicking, trying to light, or when the thermocouple detects heat from the flame. When lighting fails and the clicking stops for a minute, likely the propane would also be shut off."

Exactly my thinking. The propane ignition flare up also stopped fairly quickly, which indicates the gas flow also had stopped.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post

I also think that the propane would only flow when the piezo is clicking, trying to light, or when the thermocouple detects heat from the flame. When lighting fails and the clicking stops for a minute, likely the propane would also be shut off.
Correct
Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #23

Many months ago there was in the news a major uproar concerning a particular drug dealer (AKA pharmaceuticals manufacturer) who arbitrarily, abruptly, decided to raise the street price of a crucial lifesaving drug 600 percent, just because he could. Taken to court, the guy smiled about it. It was a pure case of greed trumping (sic) fairness or common sense.

I was reminded of that case today when I went to pick up the part I ordered from Dometic for my RM8551 fridge. Sally in Tom’s RV office and I thought the price was high because it included the entire burner and tube assembly. Wrong.

The orfice, or nozzle, is a wee stamped out insert into the propane burner that is lighter in weight than the littlest filling in your back molar, and about as small. Without this nozzle thing inserted, an eleven hundred dollar fridge will not work on propane fuel.

Dometic shipped the part in an envelope more suitable for 8 first grade postage stamps, in a box big enough to hold one red brick. The nozzle/orfice/insert cost $32.39 and shipping was UPS, $9.37.
Attached Thumbnails
Orfice.jpg  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sheesh. With Dometic, that doesn't surprise me.

The question is though Myron, does the fridge work now?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've had limited wi-fi so I hadn't seen your thread until now. Sorry that the problem happened again. Hope the new one works.

When we cleaned it at Quartsite I'm sure the problem was a small speck of black carbon. It it was then maybe there are more flakes of carbon in the line.

At any rate, hopefully the fridge will be trouble free for a long while. But if the issue crops up again try and remove the assembly carefully so that you can examine the orifice carefully and see if there is a fleck of carbon there.

On a lighter note, hoping to taste those Digby scallops tomorrow.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #26

Salmon for supper tonite but gee, I'd rather be having scallops. Seafood aside the big thing is, must be wise and alert that when you're going to do the carbon blow-out be very very careful not to disregard this little part can fall out and then, it is gone. Who knew?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #27

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Many months ago there was in the news a major uproar concerning a particular drug dealer (AKA pharmaceuticals manufacturer) who arbitrarily, abruptly, decided to raise the street price of a crucial lifesaving drug 600 percent, just because he could. Taken to court, the guy smiled about it. It was a pure case of greed trumping (sic) fairness or common sense.

I was reminded of that case today when I went to pick up the part I ordered from Dometic for my RM8551 fridge. Sally in Tom’s RV office and I thought the price was high because it included the entire burner and tube assembly. Wrong.

The orfice, or nozzle, is a wee stamped out insert into the propane burner that is lighter in weight than the littlest filling in your back molar, and about as small. Without this nozzle thing inserted, an eleven hundred dollar fridge will not work on propane fuel.

Dometic shipped the part in an envelope more suitable for 8 first grade postage stamps, in a box big enough to hold one red brick. The nozzle/orfice/insert cost $32.39 and shipping was UPS, $9.37.
wow..can you determine if that orifice part is stamped metal or precision machined?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Salmon for supper tonite but gee, I'd rather be having scallops. Seafood aside the big thing is, must be wise and alert that when you're going to do the carbon blow-out be very very careful not to disregard this little part can fall out and then, it is gone. Who knew?
Myron,
Someday read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" where the phrase gumption trap is explained.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #29

Just call me Forrest Gump. Despite current events in the world, and including feeling victimized by a company I would much prefer to feel confidence in, I am not ready to fall into the gumption trap. Jim I read that book many-many-many years ago but had forgotten this reference. Will be re-assembling the burner this afternoon, with confidence this little project will resolve itself.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #30

At 6 PM yesterday orifice now installed, burner re-assembled. Fridge is at 75°f when I turn it onto propane, 5 dots.

We have ignition. Two hours later fridge temp is 64°. This morning fridge temp down to 34°f. Victory!
Attached Thumbnails
canopy6.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MyronL... Just proves the smallest part is by no means the least important part. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'

Cool !!
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
We have ignition. Two hours later fridge temp is 64°. This morning fridge temp down to 34°f. Victory!
Well that's good to hear, considering the arm and leg they charged you for the part.