Fridge not cooling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 E19
Fridge not cooling

I have a DM 2454 refrigerator in our 2020 17b. The fridge has power and the control panel buttons are all functional, but no cooling at all. The trailer is level and I have left the fridge running overnight on propane.

Any help is appreciated.
Chuck
Corgbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Have you tried 120v power?
Old 09-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Have you tried 120v power?
Yes. No cooling with the 120vac either.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
We just had a problem with our frig as well. It turned out to be the thermal fuse not the thermo fuse it was blown. However we had nothing lighting up on the panel though. There are a number of things to check. The fuses are first. check the 30amp fuses inside the trailer and one behind the out side grill at back of frig. there are fuses behind the control module cover as well ours had two 3amp an 5amp. If that does not fix it check the reset on the thermo fuse. after that I would check the control module and the relay switch. good luck on your search on resolving you problem.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. All of the fuses check out ok. The DM2454 does not have a thermal fuse according to the wiring diagram. I have gone as far as I can go while camping without a multimeter. I placed a call to Escape this am & got Eileen’s voicemail. Waiting for a call back.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Yes, A multimeter is a must when checking the electrical systems.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have a DM2554 Dometic fridge in my 2017 E19. Like yours, I had no cooling on propane or shore power. Fuses tested good. My knowledge of multimeter use was next to nothing. Local authorized Dometic dealer was super busy so, after watching many YouTube videos and asking local experts questions I decided to dive in myself. In the end I replaced the main control board along with the inside "eyebrow" control panel. (For my fridge serial number the two must be replaced together, as a kit.) The repair worked. Swapping the old control boards is basically "plug and play." Hope this helps some. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #8

Thanks Tom

Tom: Escape contacted me with a link to Dometic service centers. The 1st appointment I could get is 11/10/21. I have 2 trips planned in the interim & would like it operational asap

I was contemplating attempting the repair myself. I will start searching Utube. When you refer to the “eyebrow “ circuit board, is this the board with the operation buttons above the door?

Thanks for the info.
Chuck
Old 09-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Yes, the "eyebrow" refers to the control panel above the fridge door. A local expert showed me his method for removing the eyebrow control panel. Rather than pry it out as I thought, first he removes the larger plastic housing the eyebrow panel resides in. This allows for easier access to the eyebrow panel. Note:if you decide to replace the main control panel (which is accessed from the outside on my 2017 E19) check to see if you also need to replace the eyebrow. Use your fridge's serial number, as well as the model number for this. My understanding is only certain serial numbers require both the main and the eyebrow to be replaced as a "kit." I found talking with my local, experienced Dometic dealer personally was more helpful than trying to get info from Dometic directly. Finally, for YouTube videos you could start here as an example. This guy seems to know his stuff. I watched many, now have a better understanding of how an absorption fridge works. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:27 PM   #10

Tom: Thanks for the additional info. I watched several of the utube videos and was able to eliminate electrical issues. It appears that the cooling system may be clogged. I was able to get an appointment at another Dometic Service Center in mid October.

Chuck
Old 10-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #11

Fridge Update

The service tech called to inform me that the fridge in non repairable (FUBAR).
He said the Dometic was easy to deal with and would be sending a replacement. They have the fridge in stock in TX. Hopefully it will arrive quickly, as we have a trip planned at the end of the month.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogndogz View Post
Tom: Thanks for the additional info. I watched several of the utube videos and was able to eliminate electrical issues. It appears that the cooling system may be clogged. I was able to get an appointment at another Dometic Service Center in mid October.

Chuck
Google "burping" an absorption fridge.
I had to do this when it was run while out of level.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
Google "burping" an absorption fridge.
I had to do this when it was run while out of level.
I tried "burping" also, but thanks for the suggestion. It's a non issue now, since Dometic is replacing it under warranty.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21
Try and put some rigid foam insulation in the box while they have the fridge out. It makes a big difference in the ability of the fridge to keep everything cold in hot weather.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote