Front Window Seal Shrank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Front Window Seal Shrank

The front window seal on my 2021 21NE has shrunk and now water can enter behind the window. I have forced the rubber molding back into place but it always returns to this position.

In picture 2, the problem area is in the bottom right corner of the picture and the joint in the seal is at the top just left of center.

Picture 3 is a close up of the problem area. I am thinking that the seal from the joint on top of the window to the problem area needs to be pulled loose and then reinstalled in compression which will leave a gap at the location of the joint above the window.

There is no picture 1.

I don't want to pull the seal if I am going to get into more trouble like:

1) Not being able to reinstall it.

2) Having an open joint at the top of the window that leaks and I can not fix.

Has anyone had this problem who can advise me on whether I will get into trouble pulling the seal and not being able to reinstall it?

Or does anyone know if I can get more of the same seal and just replace the existing one with a longer piece so that I don't end up with an open joint at the top of the window.

Any advice on process of reinstalling the seal or installing a new seal. Like maybe wiping a little silicone paste in the rubber groove that captures the fiberglass or the window?

Thanks, Bob
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   3.jpg  
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How about some Proflex, it would not show....
Old 07-23-2022, 03:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 21
Not sure if this would work just a thought. Is it possible to take a heat gun n heat up the gasket then apply an adhesive to the area n clamp the gasket back in place till it cools down. This works on some material but I dint know enough about the gasket material. Those that are more knowledgeable can confirm it will work or shoot it down hope it will work
Old 07-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #4

It seams that it would work to use heat, adhesive and clamps to hold it in place until the material sets up. I worry about using adhesive due to the risk of making a mess not only as a repair but also maybe getting in the way of replacing the seal if that is what needs to be done.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
It seams that it would work to use heat, adhesive and clamps to hold it in place until the material sets up. I worry about using adhesive due to the risk of making a mess not only as a repair but also maybe getting in the way of replacing the seal if that is what needs to be done.
Hi: BobG... I had one bed loft window leak so called my Auto Glass Co. They came to my house, removed the window, resealed it and replaced it for $90. bucks. Took 2 of them about 1 & 1/2 Hrs. All I had to do was put back the valance and RV shade. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021
I have the same on our 21NE.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #7

John, It looks like we both have the 2021 21NE and the same window seal situation. Have you decided what you are going to do about it?

I am thinking that I will do something this coming week but not sure what it will be. Maybe a little adhesive and stretch the seal back into position. First I need to figure out a way to clamp it in position so I don't have to hold it while the adhesive sets. I am thinking contact cement on one surface only so that I have some working time to get the seal into position before the adhesive takes hold. Maybe some heat as suggested earlier by Rockhead.

The part I worry most about is getting the adhesive where I don't want it and having it look a mess. When I mounted the solar panels on the roof I made a mess. I have adhesive/sealants on everything. I'm glad it is mostly out of sight.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021
Not sure on solution yet. I share your concern about making a mess.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Window seal shrank

Both lower corners of this window had same 'shrinkage' when I picked mine up. Didn't see initially as we did not open the cover at the drop-off hub in Madison (we live in Iowa). Escape told me "I could pull the seal around from the top gap where it ends to cover this." This proved to be quite difficult but did get some movement on it. down one side. Needed putty knife to loosen edges some and just using fingers to pull, takes quite a tight grip. Have not gotten back to retry anymore since, many other projects... May have to insist they provide some other local support for this manufacturing flaw....You could try their method. P-)
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:24 PM   #10

I will try pulling it around but after having repositioning it a few times during the past few months, I am thinking that the seal will come out of its tracks/grooves if I try to get enough of a grip on it to pull that hard.

If the seal comes completely out and I can't get it back in, that would not be good. I will wait a few days and see if anyone has completed a fix and if I don't learn any more, I will use the glue approach and see what happens.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
This should be covered under warranty. have you contacted ETI
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #12

NYHillbilly, Thanks for your response. I did send an email to Escape last Friday at the same time I posted to this forum. I expect a response soon. Escape has been responsive in the past. Their response may influence what I do but generally I prefer to do the work myself if it is something I can do.

I was kind of hoping someone had the same problem and could guide me on how they fixed it. Several times I re-positioned the seal but it never stayed put. I don't think I can slide the seal around the window to make up the gap.

I am curious if removing and reinstalling the affected portion of the seal is doable. If I can do that it should only take 20 or 30 minutes but I don't want to end up with 3 feet of seal dangling because I am not able to reinstall it. For that matter I don't want to end up with a short piece of seal dangling from an unsuccessful trial either.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #13

I got a little more serious about this wayward seal. I pulled it out and reinstalled it. Very easy to do. I tried several tools and ended up favoring the tool in the picture. I could do the whole operation with just that tool.

Notice the gap at the top of the window in the picture where the seal has been replaced. It seems to me that the original installer was tensioning the seal as they installed it or the seal shrank.

I am not sure what I will do to fill the void. The seal should be replaced in its entirety with slight compression to keep things tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Seal dangling.jpg   Window Seal repositioned.jpg   Window seal tool.jpg  
Old 07-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
It looks to me more of a trim piece than a seal. I doubt this "seal" would stop water from getting past it. I agree with you that it looks like it got stretched too much and came up a little short when it relaxed back to it's natural state.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
It looks to me more of a trim piece than a seal. I doubt this "seal" would stop water from getting past it. I agree with you that it looks like it got stretched too much and came up a little short when it relaxed back to it's natural state.
I suspect that you're absolutely correct.

I think that even without the seal the glass would still be water tight. I think that that actual seal is between the interior surface of the glass and the frame and that it's probably a Butyl tape or equivalent.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 19 - 2021
October 2021 E19 for me. Noticed the same thing on my trailer a few weeks ago. I'll be interested to hear what they say.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #17

Yes, it is a trim piece although it does deflect water away from the window/fiberglass joint. The trim piece does have a flange on one side that sits against the edge of the window and it has a groove on the other side that encapsulates the fiberglass skin of the trailer. It isn't very tight and it doesn't fit snug in all places so water can get by it into the cavity between the window and fiberglass. That water won't get into the trailer. It will just sit in the cavity until it goes away.

Escape got back to me this morning and suggested I just slide the trip piece around the corners and that the gap that is left at the top isn't a problem.

I found it was easier to just pull the white rubber trim piece out and reinstall it. Actually, I tried to slide it and accidentally pulled it out of the joint. That is when I realized that it is easy to take out and reinstall.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #18

Trailer: 2023 E19
Same problem on our 17b

I pulled back the trim and cleaned the trim and aluminum thoroughly with isopropyl, then put a thin bead of clear silicone adhesive on the aluminum frame. I secured it in place with several pieces if good quality painters tape and left it for a couple of days. So far, so good after 2+ months.
Corgbee is offline   Reply With Quote