Full hookup question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I tried the Geo method and found it lacking. Calgon is not cheap. Dish detergent sloshing around, or just sitting if not underway, is not very effective.

And be careful mixing bleach with other chemicals.

"Mixing bleach and ammonia can be deadly. When combined, these two common household cleaners release toxic chloramine gas. Exposure to chloramine gas can cause irritation to your eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. In high concentrations, it can lead to coma and death".
I use Odorlos. It is designed to deodorize and dissolve solids.
As for chemicals, what do you think bleach is? And dish soap?
Does the Odorlos affect the level sensors as far as keeping them clean? What do you use for that?
Old 03-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Does the Odorlos affect the level sensors as far as keeping them clean? What do you use for that?
I've given up trying to keep the sensors clean. I just look down the hole to check black tank. My fresh water reads 2/3 full even when water is coming out the filler.

In my experience, sensors are an exercise in frustration.
Since we are on the topic, here's a video showing how useless it is to put ice cubes in the black tank to clean it.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:28 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After two weeks of keeping your tanks closed, your sensors will probably no longer be accurate, so you will probably start the "flush and look" method for the black and check the shower drain for the grey......
Old 03-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Yuck. I’ll assign that job to my sister.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's nothing in the GEO method that breaks down TP or solids. IT IS chemicals and perfumy ones at that YMMV. Do not use bleach, it's hard on the seals.
Depends on what dish detergent you use. Mine has no odors.....

Bleach - agreed though some utilize in a highly diluted form.

Tank treatment threads are like threads related to the proper ingredients for chili (no hamburger meat, beans or tomatoes for "proper" chili)
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I don’t use chemicals often, but typically once or twice on a two month trip you find yourself holding tanks for awhile and then it gets hot. Once that happens, a little chemical does help. Otherwise, I don’t use them. For a few days at a time, I’ve never needed them.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:07 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
After dumping I add a couple of gallons of fresh water to each tank and drive to the next campground with the expectation that the sloshing water will wash the sides (and perhaps, just maybe) the sensors.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
I have yet to have the “honor” of dealing with dumping an RV tank. In preparation for picking up our 21C this May in Sumas, I have been looking into tank flushers like the Camco Rhino Blaster Pro. We are already planning on buying a clear elbow connector, and this adds the flush capability. Has anyone had any experience with this or something similar? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D951513-05CA-4034-8A50-DCFF51A808B0.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	61532
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Keep both closed. When it’s time to empty the black tank, you use the grey water to rinse the black tank residue out of the sewer hose
Without being too graphic, the area around the dump is sometimes very wet with puddles of brown looking water. It's definitely not as clean as your kitchen table.

If the sewer tube has been laying in it I like to wash off the outside of the sewer hose as well as the inside after I remove it from the puddles.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Keep both closed. When it’s time to empty the black tank, you use the grey water to rinse the black tank residue out of the sewer hose
I do this. As well I don't even bring the stinky slinky out until needed, usually at the end of the stay. If ever needed mid stay I always pull the hose, use it and then put it away right away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
What about the black tank - open or closed. I currently have it closed and here is my reasoning. The tank needs RV tank chemical to dissolve “stuff”. If I have the tank constantly open, the said tank chemical is washed away and there is a chance that the hose will clog. That is the question, is my reasoning flawed. Be nice
Your conclusion is correct, the black tank valve should remain closed until you are 2/3 full or ready do leave.

Your reason is wrong. The Black Tank is simply a storage tank. It is not a septic tank where the waste is broken down. You don't actually even need to add chemicals. The reason you don't want to keep the black tank open is the RV toilet doesn't use enough water with each flush to carry away solid waste. So, you need to keep the valve closed so that enough fluid builds up to carry away the solid waste when you 'dump' it. If you leave it open solid waste will accumulate under the toilet in a 'poop pyramid'.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
I have yet to have the “honor” of dealing with dumping an RV tank. In preparation for picking up our 21C this May in Sumas, I have been looking into tank flushers like the Camco Rhino Blaster Pro. We are already planning on buying a clear elbow connector, and this adds the flush capability. Has anyone had any experience with this or something similar? Thanks.
You don't need any special flushers. It is a sewage storage tank it doesn't need to be 'clean'.

IMO, almost all problems with solid waste accumulating in the black tank comes from leaving the black valve open when you have full hookups. This allows soids to build up under the toilet forming a 'poop pyramid'.

If you keep the valve closed until you dump there should be enough fluid to carry away the solids. If a turd or two gets left in the tank, no big deal it will get flushed away the next time.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Since we are on the topic, here's a video showing how useless it is to put ice cubes in the black tank to clean it.
All that shows is that it is useless to put ice cubes in the tank and drive around the block a couple of times. If you put ice cubes in before you drive a couple of hours home, they are likely to do as intended as they melt and have more fluid to allow them to slosh around.

But, as in my previous post, it is a sewage storage tank, it doesn't need to be clean.

The only thing that may need cleaning is the tank level sensors. Water sloshing around in the tank as you drive home will most likely do the job. Will ice cubes help, perhaps.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:02 PM   #34

Quote:
We are already planning on buying a clear elbow connector, and this adds the flush capability.
How does looking at the black tank contents flow by add to flushing?
Old 03-22-2022, 02:05 PM   #35

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
How does looking at the black tank contents flow by add to flushing?
For the lovely view? Haha.

The clear elbow allows one to ascertain the “blackness” of the blank tank contents, or lack thereof, during the dumping/flushing process? Flush, repeat, etc, until the contents are clear (or a lot less “black”). At least that’s what the videos about them say. Seems logical to me.

As to the quoted portion of my post, I was referring to the fact that we plan to get a clear elbow connector anyway, and the Rhino Blaster Pro adds the capability to flush the tank as well. The Rhino Blaster Pro is the “this” in your quote.
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Will ice cubes help, perhaps.
I suggest you put ice cubes in your gin and tonic and add fluid to the black tank the natural way.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:

Attachment 61532
I bought one of these last year just before I sold my 21 because my tank sensors were beginning to not read very well. I used an enzyme based tank treatment on a partial filled tank and drove about two hours to the campground and had an empty dumpsation with a nice day. I flushed the tanks about two or three times, it worked like a charm. I did sell our Escape with a black tank that had been used for urine only so the owner got a very clean tank. The biggest issue was the grey water tank.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:28 PM   #38

Quote:
The clear elbow allows one to ascertain the “blackness” of the blank tank contents, or lack thereof, during the dumping/flushing process? Flush, repeat, etc, until the contents are clear (or a lot less “black”). At least that’s what the videos about them say. Seems logical to me.
Again, it is a sewage storage tank, it doesn't need to be clean. I have never done anything other than dump my tank. Never had an issue with accumulated solids. No multiple flushings needed.

All you do is back up the line at the dump station while other people wait for you to do something meaningless. But, hey the company that makes them made a couple of bucks.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #39

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:

Attachment 61532
IMO - On the 21C, that "flusher" will not do much besides just adding water to the tank due to the layout of the piping and tank. Easier than adding via the toilet with a hose / jet washer, but will not really spray into the tank.

Numerous fill/drain cycles seems the best approach.

Related - Anybody added a black tank washer / jet system?

The tornado seems to rank pretty highly:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T.../dp/B000BUU5TU

Haven't seen much of such related to Escapes, but numerous on other brands.

Having to drill a hole in the black tank gives me a pause though.............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
During cool temperatures, I usually don't use any black tank chemicals. When it gets warm I use Happy Camper, a produce similar to Odorlos. No perfumes, but seems to kill odors.

I do sometimes find the need to add a deodorizer to my grey tank - I use a screen to keep food particles out of the drain, but a week after washing up after making a blueberry pie it can start to stink far worse than the black tank. I either use Happy Camper down the sink drain or Unique liquid grey tank treatment.