Furnace Blower Squeal on Startup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Furnace Blower Squeal on Startup

We spent two nights at Dash Point State Park and one night at Bayview State Park over the Easter weekend. This is the first extended use we have given our furnace since picking up the unit last year.

On a call for heating the furnace starts up the blower and runs until it can prove there is airflow. During this time the blower generates airflow noise but no squeal. After hearing the burner light the blower starts to make a high pitch squealing sound. This sound continues for at least a few minutes but will eventual disappear if the blower keeps running. It sounds to me like the bearings on the blower motor are failing. I have read on some other forums that once the bearings on the blower start to fail that the furnace should just be replaced. Has any one else experienced this problem?
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine was replaced under warranty. Bearing is "lifetime" sealed, so motor needs to be replaced. "Lifetime" is the life of the bearing, not your lifetime.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine was replaced under warranty. Bearing is "lifetime" sealed, so motor needs to be replaced. "Lifetime" is the life of the bearing, not your lifetime.
Thanks! I hope I last longer than that furnace! Did you go through ETI for the warranty repair?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
You might try googling the model and make of your furnace and see what others may say about the issue. Escape has used several different models so providing a model may help, but the whatever Escape used it is sometime better to look to the universe as many RV manufacturers will be using the same model.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
Thanks! I hope I last longer than that furnace! Did you go through ETI for the warranty repair?
I told ETI of the problem and they told me to take it to a certified service centre, which for me was North Shore RV, just down the hill a few blocks.
If you look in your manual, there may be a link for service centres, or just Google to find somebody near you.
Of course, the warranty has run out for you ( I mean your furnace ).
Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
You might try googling the model and make of your furnace and see what others may say about the issue. Escape has used several different models so providing a model may help, but the whatever Escape used it is sometime better to look to the universe as many RV manufacturers will be using the same model.
I am pretty sure we have an Atwood hydro flame 7900. I would expect it to be the same as Glenn's as we have the same model year trailer.

I have done some web searching with limited results. I found a few posts about people who tried lubricating the bearings as a temporary solution.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
In the past dealing with a motor with bushing I have made a temporary / permanent repair . I removed the motor , drilled a small hole in the motors end cap on the top , added 4 or 5 drops of light machine oil into the hole to lubricate the bushing , spun the motor by hand to distribute the oil , wiped off any excess oil , sealed the drilled hole with a dab of caulk and reinstalled the motor.
In some cases it works but if the bushing / end bell / shaft is damaged then replacing the motor is the only option
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
An earlier Escape furnace is an Atwood Everest Star 7900 II series, but should specifically be the 8012-II, which is the one with a lower-power fan (doesn't work with ducted output, but is quieter and saves energy from the battery). If you're replacing the fan, blower, or motor, it will matter which specific model you have.

This furnace has been discontinued for years, but is still on the Atwood Mobile and Ask For Atwood websites. The new one which they actually sell is still not on those websites.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote