Furnace for 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2022, 07:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B
17B furnace

Does anyone know of a different make furnace to replace Atwood AFSAD12131?
Rita Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #2

Furnace for 17B

While less than a year old the furnace in our 2020 17B quit. We have done videos, sail switches, motherboards. Still not working. Repair people say it does not work reliably in the vertical orientation. Does anyone know of a different furnace that will work in a 17B? This one is what ETI installed, an Atwood AFSAD12131.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anyone know?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anyone know the answer?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 17B
I can't offer much besides the fact that the furnace works fine for me, so perhaps orientation is not all that critical?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 21
I had this issue and ended up having to reprogram the thermostat. Someone else posted on how to do it I can’t find it n can’t get to trailer atm to see if I have the instruction there hopefully who posted first time will repost . But it solved the issue
Old 03-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Wade View Post
While less than a year old the furnace in our 2020 17B quit. We have done videos, sail switches, motherboards. Still not working. Repair people say it does not work reliably in the vertical orientation. Does anyone know of a different furnace that will work in a 17B? This one is what ETI installed, an Atwood AFSAD12131.
Hi Rita, Sorry to hear this. You mention that you've reached out to 'repair people' but since your unit is so new, I would also call or email ETI parts and service and dialog with them about your furnace problem. They need to know, IMHO. If they can't help, then they will probably give you a number to call Dometic Warranty Services since your Atwood/Dometic furnace is warrantied under Dometic, not ETI.

Going down the warranty road for repairs or replacments can be a pain in the neck, but I was actually pleasantly surprised with my last 2 warranty experiences with Dexter and Lippert. Just needed a big dose of patience, but it saved me $$$. Best of luck to you with this fix! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
The Suburban NT16 SEQ would be close to the same size, and they are used in other fiberglass trailers. You would have to verify measurements and exhaust port location. If you can live with an 8.5K btu unit I would take a look at the Propex and go with an alternate location installation. Reports are it is a lot quieter than the Atwood or Suburban.
Eddie
https://www.propexheatsource.com/cam...naces-heaters/
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
Hmm, perhaps it would not be too difficult to wire in a different thermostat and see if it solves the issue? Just a wild idea.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
There is no direct replacement that I am aware of. If you have truly exhausted all options and it is out of warranty you might just want to try another one. You never did post details on the exact symptoms being exhibited but maybe you just got a lemon. Trust me it pains me to say buy another one because I dislike Dometic (who bought Atwood) but retrofitting a different furnace comes with a host of challenges.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:48 PM   #11

Thank you to all

Thank you for your suggestions. I know I did not list everything we have done. I am not tech savvy and couldn’t get everything written before I somehow touched something and it deleted. Trying again
We ordered new and took possession in DEC 2020. Furnace worked then. In Sept 2021 in Fort Nelson, Canada it quit. Less than a year old. Contacted ETI as we were traveling that way. Assured we would get a return call from the tech. Still waiting. Watched ETI videos which said reset button, sail switch, motherboard. We now have purchased and installed a whole assortment. Doesn’t work. Watched you tube videos. No help.
Talked to Atwood. They said to press the reset. Duh.
The thermostat has been checked. Not guilty. We sought help from two different rv repair businesses. They both say the furnace does not work well in the vertical orientation. The 17 will not accept horizontal installation. Design flaw.
It is now March 2022. The trailer was in storage over the whole winter. It does not work. It has not worked for over half the time we have owned it.
I think we are stuck with buying a new furnace, as was suggested.
Just as a reference point, we owned a 2010 Scamp for 10 years and everything worked. We only sold it because of a covid caused location problem. Complicated. We are not happy Escape owners.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:04 PM   #12

Thank you rubicon. Thoughtful reply. The symptom has consistently been whirring from the fan for 3, yes 3 seconds. No attempt to ignite. We are probably getting a new furnace and hoping it lasts longer than 8 months.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Thank you rubicon. Thoughtful reply. The symptom has consistently been whirring from the fan for 3, yes 3 seconds. No attempt to ignite. We are probably getting a new furnace and hoping it lasts longer than 8 months.
On a house furnace I would be looking into airflow, the system is set up for safety against a bad heat exchanger. It has no idea what the airflow problem could be so it goes into safety shutdown. I’ve had airflow problems create this, you have to follow airflow every step of the way. Starting with intake and then exhaust, be sure to check every step of it, three times over. Before I bought a new one I'd be taking it out of the camper and testing it, if you can’t find blockage first.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #14

Just a suggestion kinda out there but have you pulled the ac cover off and checked all the electrical connection there to the control box especially the ones the ETI made up. Several owners have had to redo connection due to poor crimping thru out their campers. Might be where the issue is
Old 03-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #15

Thank you for the suggestion. Is that the alternating current? We do not have an air conditioner. I appreciate you responding.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #16

Thank you! This is worth investigating. Didn't know about it.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #17

Thank you. Does it matter if the exterior cover is not sealed? It has been unsealed because we have always had to try the reset.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. Is that the alternating current? We do not have an air conditioner. I appreciate you responding.
Oh didn’t realize you didn’t have an air conditioner. Disregard checking the wiring there then. Other than reprogramming the thermostat or buying a new simple 2 wire thermostat, $17.99 at lowes or Home Depot don’t know what to suggest. Hope you find a solution other than havei g to buy and install a new heater. Oh one suggestion is the heater gas valve assembly. Dave had a similar issue and had changed out everything but the vale setup . He changed that out and problem solved, hope that helps some
Old 03-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I can't offer much besides the fact that the furnace works fine for me, so perhaps orientation is not all that critical?
Thanks for the input. Could I ask what year your 17 is and do you know what model furnace yours is. Ours worked for about eight months. We are at the point we will buy a new furnace if we can find one. Thanks
Old 03-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Could I ask what year your 17 is and do you know what model furnace yours is. Ours worked for about eight months. We are at the point we will buy a new furnace if we can find one. Thanks
When you spoke to the manufacturer was the warranty discussed? Is that a two year warranty? I’d follow that path before I went out and bought a new one on my own. We’re going to be first-time RVers in a couple months, so I don’t know the process to formally file a warranty claim. Maybe someone else here can provide help on that for you. Hope it works out for you soon.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote