Gas Leak? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 19’
Thanks for the recall notice. I will check it out.
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #22

Good news. My unit is recalled. I will get a repair free of charge at my local Dometic dealer. Yeah!
Old 10-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videocrafters View Post
Good news. My unit is recalled. I will get a repair free of charge at my local Dometic dealer. Yeah!
The recall on the Dometic ovens slipped my mind. I hope this is an easy resolution for you. Let us know how dealing with your local "authorized Dometic service center" is. Many stories on the forum that make it sound painful. Mostly due to the fact that Dometic doesn't pay them enough for their time to do warranty work.

Original threads on the topic:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...eak-19810.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-20303.html
Old 10-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #24

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
Your stove/oven might be subject to a recall.

"Dometic Corporation has decided that a defect which is related to motor vehicle safety exists on the S31, R1731, AND R2131 Series COOKING STOVES that were manufactured between May of 2018 and July 9, 2020."

Actual recall notice with affected stove serial numbers:https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E071-5848.pdf
I haven't received a notification. I wonder why Dometic and Escape aren't notifying their 'family members' who purchased trailers during this time frame. Did Escape ever acknowledge that there was a problem with some of the stoves?

Whatever... I fixed mine deciding that was a better option than the possible unpleasant outcome of a propane explosion. Something about singed hair, and the screen door being blown off is not worth waiting for.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I haven't received a notification. I wonder why Dometic and Escape aren't notifying their 'family members' who purchased trailers during this time frame. Did Escape ever acknowledge that there was a problem with some of the stoves?

Whatever... I fixed mine deciding that was a better option than the possible unpleasant outcome of a propane explosion. Something about singed hair, and the screen door being blown off is not worth waiting for.
How did you fix it? Did you get the parts from dometic? I see no info on which parts are the issue.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Did Escape ever acknowledge that there was a problem with some of the stoves?
Richard: I believe you are referring to the Surbuban SDS2 cooktop that was responsible for several explosions. Unfortunately I have not seen or heard anything from Suburban, Escape or the NHTSA on this issue even though I know it has been reported by at least several people. Really sad and irresponsible since there are many of these cooktops out there in use (stock offering from April 2018 - August 2021) and many owners are likely unaware of the potential danger. Escape just quietly changed cooktops. If they haven't already been party to a lawsuit it probably won't be long when you have reported injuries and knowingly disregard the safety of your customers. Dometic ovens (subject of this thread) and Lippert windows were part of recent official recalls. The Suburban cooktops very easily could and should be as well.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #27

As of yet I have received no response from Escape, but they just received my inquire about the issue.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #28
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:

Hi Telescopist! We also have a 2019 Dometic 3 burner/oven unit and our unit has a model #RV1735BBPU, which was not listed on the Dometic recall. Perhaps your unit is the same 2019 model# as ours and was not affected by the recall? We've not smelled any mysterious gas in our trailer so far (knock on wood).

BTW the recall notice for these defective Dometic 3 burner/oven units specifically notes that trying to tighten them can strip them and make them worse so, good to check the model # (which is listed in the coat closet). Fingers crossed, your unit is not listed in this recall. Take care, -Bea. PS. Videocrafters, Good detective work! Wishing you a speedy stove/oven recovery!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #29

Our unit is in the recall. Trying to communicate with Dometic is a full time job. So far no luck.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #30
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
As from the Escape Web site on Jan 21 2021.
January 11, 2021

Potential defect for Dometic 3 burner ovens in Escape Trailers with production completion dates between January 10, 2020 and October 30, 2020
We would like to formally notify Escape customers that Dometic has registered a NHTSA Recall #20E071

In accordance with the NHTSA requirements Escape Trailer Industries has also logged a NHTSA Safety Defect Report #20V809
This issue is related to a potential failure that may occur at the joint between the gas saddle valve for the burners and the manifold connection. This is an OEM issue from Dometic and is not related to the work completed at Escape. 

What you need to do!

Find your local Dometic authorized service location https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/find-a-dealer

Call and discuss the Dometic NHTSA #20E071 (they will not have the Escape NHTSA number) 
They should ask you for your Oven’s serial number to verify if you are part of the notification. Once they have verified your serial number they should arrange an appointment to review and repair at their cost.

Contacts:
Dometic USA
Dometic Canada English
Dometic Canada French

Once you have selected any of the above links, find your nearest Dometic Authorized Service Centre:

1. Enter your Zip, City or Street
2. Select Type: Service Center
3. Select Product Category: Mobile Cooking
4. Select Subcategory: RV & Boat Ovens

If you have any concerns and need to speak with someone from Escape. Please use our contact form and choose “Parts & Service” or call us at 1-855-703-1650 and request to speak to someone in our Parts & Service department.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Richard: I believe you are referring to the Surbuban SDS2 cooktop that was responsible for several explosions. Unfortunately I have not seen or heard anything from Suburban, Escape or the NHTSA on this issue even though I know it has been reported by at least several people. Really sad and irresponsible since there are many of these cooktops out there in use (stock offering from April 2018 - August 2021) and many owners are likely unaware of the potential danger. Escape just quietly changed cooktops. If they haven't already been party to a lawsuit it probably won't be long when you have reported injuries and knowingly disregard the safety of your customers. Dometic ovens (subject of this thread) and Lippert windows were part of recent official recalls. The Suburban cooktops very easily could and should be as well.
Yes. You are correct. I was really referring to the SDS2. I notified them that I had a problem weeks ago. I never heard anything back. Just like with the gray tank issue, I finally came up with a fix based on the suggestions several other members on this forum made. There is a solution as long as the propane lines to the burners have not been damaged. Mine weren't. I caught the problem in time.

I emailed the company and told them to remove me from the Ambassador list. I can't show the trailer without providing an honest assessment of the current ownership. Besides that the situation with respect to scheduling appointments became a PIA. Several couples who showed up were plain rude. Others canceled at the last moment. And others never even showed up. I don't need the hassle for whatever tiny commission they are dishing out.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Telescopist! We also have a 2019 Dometic 3 burner/oven unit and our unit has a model #RV1735BBPU, which was not listed on the Dometic recall. Perhaps your unit is the same 2019 model# as ours and was not affected by the recall? We've not smelled any mysterious gas in our trailer so far (knock on wood).

BTW the recall notice for these defective Dometic 3 burner/oven units specifically notes that trying to tighten them can strip them and make them worse so, good to check the model # (which is listed in the coat closet). Fingers crossed, your unit is not listed in this recall. Take care, -Bea. PS. Videocrafters, Good detective work! Wishing you a speedy stove/oven recovery!
Sorry for the confusion. My defective unit was a Suburban.