Gas pressure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 17 eh?
Gas pressure

Please let me know if you are currently using you RV quick connect propane for an outdoor campstove. Most campstoves, Coleman etc, operate at 15 psi. The RV pressure at the quick connect is regulated to 11" water column (.5psi) which is not suitable for the 15psi application. CampChef makes a stove, The weekender, that I think operates at the 11" wc pressure but am waiting for a reply from them.
skeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Re: Gas pressure

I had no luck in my search for a stove that will work on low pressure and still stay lit in the wind. I now use a Coleman stove and got around the low/high pressure problem by using an Extend-A-Flow Tee Adapter http://www.rvupgradestore.com/ACME-E...-p/66-8822.htm on one of my tanks and up to three 12 ft Extend-A-Flow Hoses connected together to reach the concreted-in-place picnic table where my stove is http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Marsha.../marsh-efa.htm. I only use the RV quick connect for my BBQ which has had the regulator removed and now plugs directly in to the regulated supply.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)

The quick-connect fitting on the Escape is downstream from the regulator (low pressure). The campstove has its own regulator so it wants unregulated gas (high pressure) from the trailer. If you can find the correct fitting, you could remove the campstove regulator from the circuit. Then run the gas straight in from the quick connect and it should work fine. Or, you could tap into the trailer propane supply upstream from the regulator and then use the campstove as it is with its own regulator.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvin
If you can find the correct fitting, you could remove the campstove regulator from the circuit. Then run the gas straight in from the quick connect and it should work fine.
As 17,eh? noted, the Coleman regulator reduces the tank pressure to 15 psi, so even if the regulator is removed from the stove, it still won't operate on the trailer regulator which reduces the tank pressure to 0.5 psi.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 17 eh?

Thanks, the adapter and hose look like a real nice solution!
skeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kroeker
As 17,eh? noted, the Coleman regulator reduces the tank pressure to 15 psi, so even if the regulator is removed from the stove, it still won't operate on the trailer regulator which reduces the tank pressure to 0.5 psi.
Harold,
I believe the OP meant the Coleman operates at 15 psi into its regulator, which then reduces it to a working level. The little green can, which normally would be connected to the regulator, has nominally the same pressure as the 20 lb bottle. Currently, he has two regulators in the line, which is one too many. If he removes either one, I think he will be okay.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

The Coleman stove and other Coleman propane camping appliances really do operate at 15 psi. That's why the stove works even when it's windy enough to blow out the flame on a regular propane stove. I researched this number of years ago and although I knew that it was higher than normal, I remember that I had a tough time finding the exact pressure.

The pressure in the propane tank varies with temperture:
-45 F (-43C) = 0 psi - It is a liquid at this temperature and if you open the valve nothing comes out.
-20 F (-29C) = 11 psi - Still too low for a Coleman stove, you have to use a naptha stove for winter camping where I live.
60 F (16C) = 92 psi
90 F (32C) = 149 psi
Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

I use this gas grill that I connect to my quick connect. It has no regulator. Seems to do a good job.
Al
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...le-grill/37764
52 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

My solution is to use a small propane tank ( 10 lb. ) with my portable propane BBQ. I carry a spare 1 lb. as well.

For my stove, I use a Thunder Range butane stove, with its small, light-weight, disposable fuel container.

I can put my Q and stove where ever it's convenient and out of the wind. I have no hoses to trip over, or to coil and store.

And, I don't have to worry about p.s.i.

baglo
Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #10

I agree. A 20 lb tank and a Coleman propane distribution tree works great.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #11

I've got a year left on the 10 lb. propane tank. I might replace it with a 5 lb.

baglo
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #12

I have a tree as well, but don't use it since the stove is butane ( boils water in seconds compared to propane ).
I don't find having the propane lamp on a tree attached to a 10 or 20 lb. tank convenient. It never seems to be where I need it.
And, as I age, I find I can't stay up late enough to need a lamp anyway.

baglo
Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
My solution is to use a small propane tank ( 10 lb. ) with my portable propane BBQ. I carry a spare 1 lb. as well.
... I have no hoses to trip over, or to coil and store.

baglo
You make an excellent point. My "system" of hoses is a carryover from the days when I pulled a small tent trailer with a Honda Accord and space was at a premium. Now that I have a 19' trailer with a front storage bin, I have to room to carry all kinds of extra stuff that I dismissed before as being too big. The biggest consumer of gas for my stove used to be heating water. Now that I have an on-board water heater, I could even go with 1 lb tanks if I didn't mind filling up the landfill sites.