Generator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Generator

Hello all.......well we took our new 2017 camping in our first so called roughing it in a state park not far from home......no water, electric, or sewer hookup for 2nights. We discovered the power limited us to basic lights and refrigeration.....no outside outlet, no microwave, no inside outlets for electric frypan..........so curious about what generators would be good for a 2017 5.0TA?.?.............Michael
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When I boondock ( almost always ) I cook with propane BBQ and butane burner or propane burners in the trailer. It's the most efficient way to cook and heat the trailer or cool the fridge without electricity.

Since I got solar panels, my Honda EU1000i generator stays home. I don't have to carry smelly gas cans with me and I don't irritate my neighbours by running a generator.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think a little Honda eu2200i would fit the bill nicely Michael. Even has enough power to run an AC if needed.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I guess no solar? We’ve been out for a week at a time with no hookups .
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I found that here in Pennsylvania the state parks discriminate against pet owners and always designate pet spots away from everything else and without hookups. I set up each Escape to utilize propane and solar and I can use everything except for the a/c. I have a 12v tv and 12v antenna, propane for cooking and refrigeration and 12v for water and lights and everything else. I sold my generator 7 years ago and have not missed it.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Jim, you clearly do not live in AZ. Where at 9000' elevation on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon can get into the 80's in the late afternoon. We carry a genset for those 2 hours or so before it cools off.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Jim, you clearly do not live in AZ. Where at 9000' elevation on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon can get into the 80's in the late afternoon. We carry a genset for those 2 hours or so before it cools off.

Here was our weather for the day.
I grew up without air but now no way !!

Day

97°Hi RealFeel® 109° Precipitation 55%

Intervals of clouds and sunshine, hot, humid; a thunderstorm in spots late this afternoon
  • Winds from the
  • E 9 mph
  • Gusts: 17 mph
  • Max UV Index: 10 (Extreme)
  • Thunderstorms: 69%
  • Precipitation: 1.12 in
  • Rain: 1.12 in
  • Snow: 0 in
  • Ice: 0 in
  • Hours of Precipitation: 1.25 hrs
  • Hours of Rain: 1.25 hrs
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I don’t like hot weather but I can tolerate it during the day but at night it’s a different story
We hit 88 deg today but tonight the projected low is 59 deg .
I can empathize with those who live in tropical states where the temps at night are the same as our daytime highs .
A good nights sleep is important whether I am at home or camping .
Two weeks ago we woke up to 47 deg in Southern Minnesota
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If the price doesn't scare you off, I 2nd the Honda 2200.

As you're new to it, most state parks have generator hours, many have specific loops that can or can't run generators at all.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
We bought a Champion 3100 dual fuel (propane and gas) model at Costco for $850. OK, its not a Honda or a Yamaha, but then it doesn't have their prices either.

Some advantages over the Honda: 1. Dual fuel as noted. A propane kit for Honda will cost you quite a bit. 2. Costco warranty: incredible really, they add two more years to the existing warranty, and they are really good about returns. 3. RV ready: no adapter needed, your 30 AMP RV cord plugs right in, why Yammy and Honda aren't RV ready is beyond me! 4. Integrated battery charger: included with the unit, plugs right into the front of the generator.

As I said, its not a Honda for sure. But for the money, it works!

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...100284958.html

Part of it is not just where you live, but where you travel. Our last trip out west we saw a low of 28F and a high of 105F. We like the SW USA in particular. And the southern midwest and plains states are freakin' hot as well.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
We bought a Champion 3100 dual fuel (propane and gas) model at Costco for $850. OK, its not a Honda or a Yamaha, but then it doesn't have their prices either.

Some advantages over the Honda: 1. Dual fuel as noted. A propane kit for Honda will cost you quite a bit. 2. Costco warranty: incredible really, they add two more years to the existing warranty, and they are really good about returns. 3. RV ready: no adapter needed, your 30 AMP RV cord plugs right in, why Yammy and Honda aren't RV ready is beyond me!
I think there's a little 'apples and oranges' here. The Honda and the Yamaha typically mentioned are 2000W to 2200W generators, not 3000W. So, the Honda and the Yamaha have the exact receptacle they should have. It would not make sense to have a 30 amp receptacle on a generator that isn't capable of producing that much power. For example, Honda's larger 3500W generator does have a 30 amp receptacle.

While the Champion looks like a very decent 3000W generator, the idea behind the smaller Honda, Yamaha, etc is that they are truly portable, weighing in around 45 to 47 lbs. The Champion mentioned weighs well over double that at 112 lbs, which makes it much harder to load, tote around or unload.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
To answer your question...I use this one https://energizergenerators.com/ca/ezv3200rv.html
It is quiet and value packed with full digital metering, RV plug and a remote control with electric start so your don’t even have to leave the trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think there's a little 'apples and oranges' here. The Honda and the Yamaha typically mentioned are 2000W to 2200W generators, not 3000W. So, the Honda and the Yamaha have the exact receptacle they should have. It would not make sense to have a 30 amp receptacle on a generator that isn't capable of producing that much power. For example, Honda's larger 3500W generator does have a 30 amp receptacle..

Perhaps by others, but I was always looking at 3000W +/- generators: Honda, Yamaha, and Champion. None of the 3000W generators are very portable. My buddy's 3000W Honda (beautiful generator) weighs about 140 pounds with electric start (I forgot to mention the Champion has electric start). Last I checked, neither the larger Yamaha or Honda have RV ready plugs.

Mine lives in the back of the pickup as I am surely not lifting it out and much tougher, lifting it back up into my truck every time I use it.

Yes, in the smaller generators, a 30AMP plug of any kind makes zero sense
Old 08-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Last I checked, neither the larger Yamaha or Honda have RV ready plugs.
That's true. But, the NEMA TT-30 is a specialty receptacle only for RVs, while the NEMA L5-30 is much more common for a 30 amp plug. It's understandable that Honda and others would not use the TT-30 because a generator isn't just for RV use. And of course, an L5-30 to TT-30 adapter is common and under $10. They might make adapters that are the other way around (TT-30 to L5-30) but I haven't seen them.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... the Honda and the Yamaha have the exact receptacle they should have. It would not make sense to have a 30 amp receptacle on a generator that isn't capable of producing that much power. For example, Honda's larger 3500W generator does have a 30 amp receptacle.
Agreed. And the Honda EU2000i/EU2200i Companion has a 30 amp receptacle, because when two of these generators are connected the combination needs the higher-capacity connection.

Quote:
... the NEMA TT-30 is a specialty receptacle only for RVs, while the NEMA L5-30 is much more common for a 30 amp plug. It's understandable that Honda and others would not use the TT-30 because a generator isn't just for RV use. And of course, an L5-30 to TT-30 adapter is common and under $10.

Quote:
They might make adapters that are the other way around (TT-30 to L5-30) but I haven't seen them.
30-amp detachable shore power cords are very long TT-30 input / L5-30 output adapters, in a way. But true, a short adapter in that direction would be unusual because almost no one would have a use for it.

If you do have a detachable shore power cord and a generator with an L5-30 receptacle, you can connect the generator to the trailer with a single cord and no adapters or non-locking connections, using a generator extension cord, just long enough to reach the generator.

If you have a detachable shore power cord and a generator with just a 20-amp (NEMA 5-20) receptacle, you can connect the generator to the trailer with a single cord and no adapters using a 12-gauge extension cord with the right connectors installed on it. It can be much shorter and lighter than the stock shore power cord, since can be lighter-gauge and it doesn't need to be long.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:38 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
This is why you have wheels on the trailer, to move to better weather conditions if possible. Yeah I know sometimes it gets hot, then I get hookups....
Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Some advantages over the Honda: 1. Dual fuel as noted. A propane kit for Honda will cost you quite a bit. 2. Costco warranty: incredible really, they add two more years to the existing warranty, and they are

Looks like a very capable unit, but how loud is it? Last time out we camped near 3 different generators and the only 1 that was not obnoxiously noisy was a Honda. We where really happy that everyone respected the generator hours rule. Everything seems extra loud when the only background noise is a babbling brook.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Chotch;257504]
Quote:

Some advantages over the Honda: 1. Dual fuel as noted. A propane kit for Honda will cost you quite a bit. 2. Costco warranty: incredible really, they add two more years to the existing warranty, and they are

Looks like a very capable unit, but how loud is it? Last time out we camped near 3 different generators and the only 1 that was not obnoxiously noisy was a Honda. We where really happy that everyone respected the generator hours rule. Everything seems extra loud when the only background noise is a babbling brook.
On noise, some people go really cheap and get an open frame generator. Those things are off the charts noise machines! There is a big step change on noise with the inverter generators.

Various comparisons/noise tests on line. Champion does well, Honda and Yammy do even better. I would not expect a $850 generator to be as quiet as a $2000. Ultimately, I couldn't justify the additional expense.

Wish he had done a test at 25 feet, as that is the National Park rule 65db at 25 feet. The open frame obviously failed that test.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
To answer your question...I use this one https://energizergenerators.com/ca/ezv3200rv.html
It is quiet and value packed with full digital metering, RV plug and a remote control with electric start so your don’t even have to leave the trailer.
I didn't see the weight listed under the Energizer's specifications. Do you know what it weighs? Also, it appears to require 91 octane fuel. Is that what you use?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
[QUOTE=NCBill;257517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
On noise, some people go really cheap and get an open frame generator. Those things are off the charts noise machines! There is a big step change on noise with the inverter generators.

Various comparisons/noise tests on line. Champion does well, Honda and Yammy do even better. I would not expect a $850 generator to be as quiet as a $2000. Ultimately, I couldn't justify the additional expense.

Wish he had done a test at 25 feet, as that is the National Park rule 65db at 25 feet. The open frame obviously failed that test.

I had a trip disturbed once in a quiet state park by a construction generator that some @*%*(&# pulled out to power up his huge motor home. It was beyond obnoxious. Maybe his onboard generator was dead. If I wasn't away from the site for most of the day fishing I would have pursued it with the ranger. Personally if I use a generator at all it is the quiet Honda EU2000i and we have an enclosure made of Foamular XPS that we assemble around it (except the exhaust end). It is used for a very limited amount of time and you can barely hear it at about 30 feet.

Most states seem to only have some general quiet hour rules that may mention generators. The only rules I see that have any teeth are those of the NPS: "Generators must conform to National Park Service regulations pertaining to audio disturbances, which states that "motorized equipment or machinery cannot exceed a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet" (36 CFR 2.12)."

I guess this means the park rangers better have a sound meter handy.

The BC Parks regulations have a section that is thoughtfully written, but still lacks enforceable language: "The use of “inverter generators” (i.e. energy efficient/low noise) is preferred over the use of industrial size generators. Although generator use is permitted, the use of portable solar panels is strongly encouraged."
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote