Generator questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 04:43 PM   #21

Trailer: Still Deciding
I recently bought a Champion 2500 watt dual fuel inverter/generator from Amazon for less than $600.00 Lightweight, only weighs 38 Lbs. It along with the micro air soft start would be a great combination.
With a conversion kit to make the Honda a LP capable inverter you can buy two of the Champions. Add the parallel kit and you would have 3300 watts on LP and 3700 watts on gasoline. Plenty of power!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 F250
I have a smaller Honda and an F250. I leave it home;forget the air conditioner I’d I have no electric hook up. I utilize the solar panel with two 12 volt sealed batteries and two propane tanks fir everything else.

The generator is a great choice; it is just more to carry; noisy and something to be stolen...
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0ta
I have a Honda eu3000 which I carry on the rear hitch. I installed the wheel kit and designed a lightweight ramp to load it. Works very well. The 3000 is a very nice generator, very quiet and a large fuel tank. I can email you a video of it if you like
Dave58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanson View Post
We have a Champion dual fuel 2500w inverter gen. Living along coastal Texas, with our abundance of tropical and stronger storms, we have 3 different sizes generators, including a propane fueled 14.5kw Generac. The 2.5 kw Champion is a work horse for our barn that houses a frig, freezer and window unit cooled 10x15 room along with lights. I has run a little over 3 days on one 30lb propane tank. I think it weighs around 80lbs and is quite easy to tote around. I've not had an occasion to try it with our 5.0, but suspect it will run the soft start Coleman 13.5 btu AC with ease. Volts x Amps=watts needed

Ok, yesterday I did a driveway test our Champion 2500w dual fuel gen on our 5.0 with the soft start Coleman 13.5 AC. At first the EMS gave an E2 error code showing an open ground. This generator (and most others) has a floating bond, and the EMS requires the neutral and ground to be bonded. Generally, this can be accomplished internally on portable generators. After talking to Champion, there is no access to the internals of this portable gen. The solution was to replaced the male end of a 12gauge extension cord, strapping the neutral and ground lugs inside the plug. The EMS now shows E0. With the AC running there is a 7 amp draw while the compressor pumps cold air. It manages to start the AC in 'Eco mode', equally on gasoline and LP, which is a fuel savings giving longer run times. If you use LP, let the gas flow for at least 2 minutes before starting or you can wear your arm out pulling the cord. The gen is really quiet (for a generator) in Eco mode too. . .Matt
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #25

Trailer: Still Deciding
Quote:
Ok, yesterday I did a driveway test our Champion 2500w dual fuel gen on our 5.0 with the soft start Coleman 13.5 AC. At first the EMS gave an E2 error code showing an open ground. This generator (and most others) has a floating bond, and the EMS requires the neutral and ground to be bonded. Generally, this can be accomplished internally on portable generators. After talking to Champion, there is no access to the internals of this portable gen. The solution was to replaced the male end of a 12gauge extension cord, strapping the neutral and ground lugs inside the plug. The EMS now shows E0. With the AC running there is a 7 amp draw while the compressor pumps cold air. It manages to start the AC in 'Eco mode', equally on gasoline and LP, which is a fuel savings giving longer run times. If you use LP, let the gas flow for at least 2 minutes before starting or you can wear your arm out pulling the cord. The gen is really quiet (for a generator) in Eco mode too. . .Matt
Steveanson how did you "strap" the neutral and ground lugs? I have a dog bone to plug in the inverter and I will make it my "designated" cord to be plugged in to.
I like your user name; proud Dad
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
While I believe if you live in the northern states that would be true for sure. Living way down here in South Texas a 13500 may almost be required?

I would be interested to hear from someone who has the smaller AC unit and camps in the South.

From my past experience, although not an escape, but a small hybrid trailer, even with the tent ends up during the day the 13500 AC would keep it in the mid 80's.
I spent a week in Monument Valley in the summer of 2016 in a campsite with no shade. Every day the temperatures exceeded 108° F. The 11,000 BTU Dometic kept my 5.0TA quite cool. And I live and camp in Florida, camping sometimes in the summer. It isn’t any hotter way down there in South Texas than it is way down here in Florida. You do not need a 13,500 BTU A/C.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Steveanson how did you "strap" the neutral and ground lugs? I have a dog bone to plug in the inverter and I will make it my "designated" cord to be plugged in to.
I like your user name; proud Dad
Leo - I have a spool of 12 guage appliance wire that I cut to 3" length and secured in the neutral and ground clamps of the plug. If this modification is made, the extension cord should only be used for its intended purpose of powering an RV with an EMS that blocks electrical input from a generator with a floating bond. DO NOT USE in any other 120v outlet without removing the bonding strap. . .
Attached Thumbnails
20210422_114820.jpg   20210422_114643.jpg  
Old 04-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Do You do not need a 13,500 BTU A/C.
Our previous two trailers, a Casita and Forest River, both had rattle trap noisy Dometic 11,000's, and both developed issues. No, the 5.0 does not need a 13.5k BTU AC, but it was our only other factory option at the time. We are happy with it, as it creates much less noise, and has better features than the standard AC unit. The thermostat works really well maintaining the selected temp, and it doesn't shake me awake starting and stopping. . .
Old 04-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #29

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I have a 4 year old Honda 2000 generator barley used as we were mostly at campgrounds. I bought to run the AC in my Casita. I did install the Micro Air easy start. Living NC we live with AC at home . Because of the Green Pine Tree Pollen we've had for the past 6 weeks we have been unable to keep the windows open. There were several days when the AC was on during the day and the heat on at night.
I've got 2 weeks before I finalize my build sheet. Everything is decided except the AC. Dometic may run with my Honda 2000 but its too loud and the 13.5k is too big. Nothing else is available. With our plan to pick it up a Sumas and travel cross country in August we are going to want AC. Just after I submitted this I saw Steveanson's post so I edited mine to conclude my best option is the RecPro 13.5K . It is supposed to have it's version of a soft start I'll find out then if if my generator can run it
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you stay far enough north, you may not need a/c.....even in August.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Our previous two trailers, a Casita and Forest River, both had rattle trap noisy Dometic 11,000's, and both developed issues. No, the 5.0 does not need a 13.5k BTU AC, but it was our only other factory option at the time. We are happy with it, as it creates much less noise, and has better features than the standard AC unit. The thermostat works really well maintaining the selected temp, and it doesn't shake me awake starting and stopping. . .
I’m sorry you had bad experiences with the Dometic 11,000 BTU unit. That has not been my experience at all. I find it is less noisy than a Coleman 13,500 I had in a previous trailer, and I have had no issues with the Dometic whatsoever. If it eventually fails, I would have no qualms with replacing it with another Dometic 11,000.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #32

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Are the above generators not RV ready? Ones I have been looking at one can just plug your trailer into w/o adapters. I guess the smaller generators only have 15 & 20 amp connections?
Since campgrounds are taken here in S. Texas months in advance, we hoped to use some Harvest Host within a couple hundred mile area, and they usually have no hookups.
June, July,August in central texas is an AC requirement.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #33

Just finalized our 5.0 build with a Coleman 13.5k. Have the 11K Dometic in our present 17B with a Microaire. We need AC for southern summer camping.

Decided on the larger unit because it’s supposedly significantly quieter and its own soft start option cost a bit less than $100 extra.

But it may be a moot point as ETI’s been having supply problems for the Coleman; we may have to plunk for the Dometic anyway. [emoji2369]
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Are the above generators not RV ready? Ones I have been looking at one can just plug your trailer into w/o adapters. I guess the smaller generators only have 15 & 20 amp connections?
Since campgrounds are taken here in S. Texas months in advance, we hoped to use some Harvest Host within a couple hundred mile area, and they usually have no hookups.
June, July,August in central texas is an AC requirement.
I like COE campgrounds and have never had a problem with getting in to one in Texas. Somerville just to the north of you is a nice one. Sam Rayburn and Steinhagen up by Jasper are very nice too. Was just to Magnolia Ridge last week at Steinhagen. Not even half full!
Old 06-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #35

What’s a COE ?

Ah. Corp of Engineers. Check
Old 06-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Few generators have a TT-30 outlet, which would match the trailer's power cord, but some do. Lots of generators have a NEMA L5-30, which is like the connection used for the Escape's optional removable power cord - adapters are available for that, and a short L5-30 to L5-30 cord (often actually called a "generator cord") could be used to connect the trailer (with removable cord option) to a generator sitting near it.

Generators under 2400 watts don't need a 30-amp connection because they can't supply that much anyway, so yes, they typically have 15A or 20A outlets. An adapter is not a big deal, but if more than 15 amps is being used the adapter needs to be rated for that higher current (some may only be rated for 15 amps).

The regular Honda EU2000i has only NEMA 5-20 outlets (for 15 A or 20 A plugs), but the "Companion" version has an L5-30 outlet (twist lock 30 A) - as well as a 5-20 outlet - because it is designed to work with another EU2000i to provide more power.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:40 PM   #37

Quote:
What’s a COE ?

Ah. Corp of Engineers. Check

Dc - I'm in Palacios with a newish 5.0, and use a Champion 2400w duel fuel gen when not near hookups. It has plenty of power to run our 13.5k AC, and if I need to use the microwave, I just raise the thermostat to keep the compressor off for a couple minutes, otherwise, it's steady cool.

Also, maybe also explore LCRA parks for really nice facilities. Lower Colorado River Authority We have stayed at several and enjoyed each visit. Also, the Madagorda Madness is held at one of their parks. Matt

https://www.lcra.org/parks/
Old 06-06-2021, 10:59 PM   #38

Thanks for the info. We stayed at Quintana Beach County Park earlier in the year. It was really nice.

If the Champion 2400 it will power your AC it should power mine. Will it do so on propane?
Without the soft start kit?
Old 06-07-2021, 03:25 AM   #39

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We stayed at Quintana Beach County Park earlier in the year. It was really nice.

If the Champion 2400 it will power your AC it should power mine. Will it do so on propane?
Without the soft start kit?
Propane will give you lower running Watts. So you need to compare your AC’s start & running Watts against the generator’s.

I used a Champion 4000/3800 W gas for over a decade. Super reliable, and great support. Today I’d buy their 2500 duel fuel inverter. Same weight & DB as 2200, but more power.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:26 AM   #40

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Valuable info. Thanks
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator