Generator questions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2021, 02:33 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
.... I have no idea what the term PTC technology stood for....
Just FYI: PTC Device Overview

I happened to encounter PTC's in the context of tweeter protection (in lieu of a capacitor) in audio systems; nope I've no idea of their role in this AC soft-starting context, though motor controls is one of the mentioned applications.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #62

Trailer: 2018 21
looks like PTC's are for over-current protection.
A soft-start ramps up the current slowly to to prevent under-voltage. (as far as I can tell)
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #63

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcgrout@icloud.com View Post
Hi - We have a 21C on order. We are planning on going with a RecPro AC3400 unit, and powering it with a Honda EU3000is generator. Where are folks carrying their generators while in transit? We have a F350 with a canopy, so no problem there, other than getting it in and out of the bed while in camp as it weighs 130 lbs. Suggestions/solutions? Thanks.
I just purchased a dual-fuel Champion 4500/3500 watt generator with a 30amp plug, in addition to 2 15amp plugs. It weighs 103lbs. I keep it in the back of my F-150 under a hard toneau cover. I've tested it using propane from my trailer's external LP port. Generator is very quiet on propane. I first started it in my backyard patio on propane. Couldn't hear it in the house. I don't plan on running it on gas, ever. In 90 degree heat the AC took a little longer to start cooling than on shore power. Just my perception, could be wrong, but not unhappy. When I turned on the AC, the generator barely came above idle. Other reasons I chose that generator, (1) it fits under the F-150's bed hard cover so I can secure it, (2) I can power some of the utilities in my house during a power outage (I'm getting ready to install a transfer switch in my house), and (3) I can return it to Amazon.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #64

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Purchased the Champion 2500 dual fuel. It starts the AC in eco mode without soft start. Have converted the supplied hook up ETI 12’ hose with a quick disconnect to attach to converted short Champion hose and removed regulator . A short Youtube video explained the process.
Also picked up a 30 amp to 20amp dog bone pigtail.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:06 AM   #65

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powe...100653776.html
We have that coming from Costco I'll leave it in the back of my truck with a tonneau cover on it and I have an extra RV extension cord the plug it in place.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powe...100653776.html
We have that coming from Costco I'll leave it in the back of my truck with a tonneau cover on it and I have an extra RV extension cord the plug it in place.
Nice. In the gas only version, save yourself a lot of grief and use only non ethanol fuel.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #67

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
champion 2500w help

Please help!
Can anyone give me the steps to setup a Champion 2500w duel fuel generator to the RV's quick connect. I connected to a separate 20lb propane tank to see if the AC would operate but my 11000 btu AC would not stay on. Also, what quick connect hoses should be used to run from the Champion to the RV's quick connect? seems like champion doesn't have a dedicated hose that they make. Thanks. Is there something I should be cutting off in the RV?
Letsdothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #68

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I know its been a while but can you tell me the steps that you took to connect your Champion 2500w to your RV's quick connect. That is exactly what I am trying to do. thanks
Letsdothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:29 PM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
From Champion's webpage...

Propane Running Watts 1665W
Propane Running Amps at 120V 13.9A

don't think that is enough for your A/C.

on gasoline, its 1850 watts, which just might run the air conditioner.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #70
Site Team

oh, the RV propane quick connect is only 11 h2o inches of gas pressure, eg, its on the OTHER side of the RV's propane regulator. I seriously doubt you can run a generator on that, even if you bypass the regulator that came with the generator, but you would need to know the flow rate AND pressure of the output of that regulator to know for sure.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
oh, the RV propane quick connect is only 11 h2o inches of gas pressure, eg, its on the OTHER side of the RV's propane regulator. I seriously doubt you can run a generator on that, even if you bypass the regulator that came with the generator, but you would need to know the flow rate AND pressure of the output of that regulator to know for sure.
The Escape's regulator is rated at 200,000 BTU/hour of propane flow - that's the energy content of the propane. That's about 59 kW, so at roughly 20% efficiency of a cheap small engine that's about 12 kW or engine output, or 16 horsepower. I don't see a problem with propane flow capacity, as long as the plumbing from the regulator to the outlet isn't excessively restrictive. However, it would be necessary to avoid running two incompatible regulators, and I don't know what the generator's own regulator requires for input pressure or produces for output pressure.

If the generator's propane system is designed for tank-pressure input, it would make sense to give it that, rather than using the low-pressure outlet intended for cooking appliances.

Of course the details of propane operation are not relevant to running the air conditioner if the generator's output on propane (regardless of the source) is inadequate, as it appears to be.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Escape's regulator is rated at 200,000 BTU/hour of propane flow - that's the energy content of the propane. That's about 59 kW, so at roughly 20% efficiency of a cheap small engine that's about 12 kW or engine output, or 16 horsepower. I don't see a problem with propane flow capacity, as long as the plumbing from the regulator to the outlet isn't excessively restrictive. However, it would be necessary to avoid running two incompatible regulators, and I don't know what the generator's own regulator requires for input pressure or produces for output pressure.

If the generator's propane system is designed for tank-pressure input, it would make sense to give it that, rather than using the low-pressure outlet intended for cooking appliances.

Of course the details of propane operation are not relevant to running the air conditioner if the generator's output on propane (regardless of the source) is inadequate, as it appears to be.
fwy, this generator, per the pictures and manual, the regulator is on the tank side of the supplied propane hose. it looks like a larger regulator than the ones we're used to.

ok, some googling found this...
https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-model-100402

seems that the supplied propane hose has a DUAL regulator on it, smaller first one is a regular 11" H2O propane regulator, thats equiv to whats in our trailers already. the 2nd one is some kind of further reducer, or maybe a flow limiter or propane/air carburetor, I'm not sure, but you need this. on post #8, the author shows what he did, split these two apart, and put both ends of a low pressure propane disconnect hose between them, so he can still use it directly on a tank, OR use it with a disconnect to disconnect hose as shown in that pic which I copied below.

whenever you use those quick connects with propane, *ALWAYS* do a leak test with soapy water before starting anything.
Attached Thumbnails
image_5102.jpg  
Old 05-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #73
Site Team

oh, that guy in passing also says the manual said to do a 5 hour burnin of the generator at 50% output before applying a full load. after those 5 hours, its probably a good idea to do the first oil change, that will get rid of any crap left in the engine from manufacturing.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #74
Site Team

here's another thread showing the same sort of mod, with more details
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29560935.cfm
Old 05-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #75

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
here's another thread showing the same sort of mod, with more details
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29560935.cfm

Confirmation that the 200,000 BTU/hr Escape regulator is fine:
Quote:
Champion Inverter Gas Supply required: “You need 1/2 PSI with a flow rate of at least 76,000 BTU/hour”
The large disk-shaped device likely the lower-pressure regulator. The way that propane carburetors appear to work is that this final regulator puts out propane at a pressure slightly below atmospheric pressure, and the venturi effect in the carburetor sucks in fuel in proportion to airflow, the same way that a gasoline carburetor's venturi sucks gasoline from an unpressurized reservoir (the float bowl) in proportion to airflow.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #76
Site Team

11 inches of water pressure is approximately 0.5 psi. thats what comes out of the regulators at the tanks on our trailers, and what comes out of the first regulator on that generator. the 2nd bigger thing is probably a gas-air mixer, which does much the same as the carburetor on gasoline powered engine.

anyways, you're not getting around the problem that your '2500 watt' generator is in fact 1665 watts sustained on propane.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsdothis View Post
I know its been a while but can you tell me the steps that you took to connect your Champion 2500w to your RV's quick connect. That is exactly what I am trying to do. thanks
My champion 2500 DF runs the AC 11000 btu system just fine on the propane disconnect. I cannot run it on ecomode though. I have not used it on gasoline but have no doubt it would function fine. . I just ordered a hose from Amazon and added an adapter. I can check back when I return from camping.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape19 2021
Mine worked also on a 13.5k with soft start on propane. Make sure your Batteries are fully charged that could kick in and use lots of watts near a 1000 By itself
Battery monitor would tell you what’s up
We have an absorption frig that would use another 200 if on AC so switch to propane if possible
Shon414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #79
Site Team

re that 2nd regulator thing... someone offline, who doesn't want to post for personal reasons, informed me...

Quote:
The second regulator is called a “demand regulator” and it only regulates flow, its purpose is not to mix air and propane. Typically, they have a button that is depressed to open a simple valve and allow flow into the carburetor. Once the generator starts, vacuum keeps this valve open. If the generator stops running, a very light spring closes the valve, cutting off the flow of propane.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:42 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Champion 4250?

Florida's hurricane tax holiday starts tomorrow and runs through June 10. Among the items exempt from sales tax are portable generators, so I might take the opportunity to buy one.

Amazon has the Champion 2500W inverter generator for around $550, but it also lists a larger Champion 4250W inverter generator for around $500 in a "limited time deal". I presume with this larger generator I wouldn't need the easy start gizmo on my trailer's A/C. It is heavier, though, at 75 lbs. Comments?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator