Generator questions - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2022, 09:56 PM   #101

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
.... But my Tacoma has a vertical space of 18.0 inches beneath the bed cover. I haven't seen a generator that will fit under it. Does anyone know of one?
My pair of early original Honda Eu2000i, and I believe still the current Eu2200i, are only 16" tall.

They just keep quietly delivering dependable power, mine for over 15 years now. I've run 'em for days-on-end-non-stop ('paired' for 2x output with extended run external fuel tank) powering a Casita AC+microwave in the motorcycle racing paddock, and countless hours (no hour-meter, lol) for power tools around my rural acreage.

Methinks the up-front 'Honda premium price' has long ago payed-back.

Just FYI.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:44 PM   #102

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon414 View Post
No gasoline in the generator and you will be good to go.
Not a problem if you have a vent in the cap that can be closed ( like my Honda ).
Old 06-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
here's another thread showing the same sort of mod, with more details
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29560935.cfm
Thanks for the research, John. We got the Champion 2500 dual-fuel generator last week and are slowly breaking it in. The only load so far is/are the Escape batteries which start out needing 14.5 amps. Once broken in I'll add the 12v fridge at about 4.5 amps. Finally I'll see if the 11,000 btu will function - no soft start. I think there's a way to disconnect the battery charging function.

I originally planned to never run on gasoline, but couldn't get the gen to start on propane. I really don't want to travel with a gasoline container but that will depend on starting cold on propane.
Nova Kool RFU6800
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #104

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Who sells Honda generators or what are good places to purchase one? I don't recall ever seeing them in stores. Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #105

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Who sells Honda generators or what are good places to purchase one? I don't recall ever seeing them in stores. Thanks!
Not that hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.08.27 AM.jpg  
Old 06-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Florida's hurricane tax holiday starts tomorrow and runs through June 10. Among the items exempt from sales tax are portable generators, so I might take the opportunity to buy one.

Amazon has the Champion 2500W inverter generator for around $550, but it also lists a larger Champion 4250W inverter generator for around $500 in a "limited time deal". I presume with this larger generator I wouldn't need the easy start gizmo on my trailer's A/C. It is heavier, though, at 75 lbs. Comments?
Mike, we got the Champion 2500W from Amazon on May 25 for $544.94. Today it's $785.00 so I guess it was a daily deal last week.

Next I got a neutral-ground bonding plug instead of making my own. The 2 12v outlets are so close together that the bonding plug will not co-exist with the 30amp to 15amp adapter. So today I had a 12 gauge 6-ft extension cord delivered. The generator is keeping the battery charged plus running the fridge.

I'll eventually finish break-in and try the AC with the fridge turned off.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 06-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #107

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
Thanks for the research, John. We got the Champion 2500 dual-fuel generator last week and are slowly breaking it in. The only load so far is/are the Escape batteries which start out needing 14.5 amps. Once broken in I'll add the 12v fridge at about 4.5 amps. Finally I'll see if the 11,000 btu will function - no soft start. I think there's a way to disconnect the battery charging function.

I originally planned to never run on gasoline, but couldn't get the gen to start on propane. I really don't want to travel with a gasoline container but that will depend on starting cold on propane.
Give that carburetor a little shot of starting ether and it will start right up.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #108

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Who sells Honda generators or what are good places to purchase one? I don't recall ever seeing them in stores.
They tend to be at power equipment dealers, not department stores or home / building supply stores.

Because they are authorized dealers, I would check Honda Power Equipment's dealer locator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:09 PM   #109

Commercial grounds maintenance supply businesses often have a line of Honda generators, water pumps, pressure washers, tillers etc. in out part of the world anyway. I bought mine from Mutt’s in Fort Wayne after the derecho. Tornadoes, floods, ice storms, anything that knocks down trees over power lines will sell out generator supplies for miles around. The day the derecho hit us, I called my sonin law in Fort Wayne. He picked up 3 2200i generators and 6 five gallon gas cans for me. I drove to Valparaiso the next morning and got them from him. We were without power for 11days. My son and my daughters
who were also without power each got an early Christmas present. We saved everything in the freezers and refrigerators, had hot water, could run fans, open and close overhead garage doors, I washed a couple loads of clothes in the Speed Queen and watched some TV at the end of each day. Lots of drop cords, which I had. Burned some fuel but made me a Honda generator believer. I have two Honda tillers, a Honda powered pressure washer, and the 2200i generator. It all started with my 305 Super Hawk 54 years ago. I think my next outboard motor will be a Honda.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #110

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Honda outboard

I had a 5HP long shaft, 4 stroke Honda on my 18 foot Precision sailboat. Single cylinder, it replaced a 6HP old Johnson, 2 cylinder, short shaft, 2 stroke.
The Johnson ran smoother than the Honda with 2 cylinders, but was too short of a shaft for a bucking sailboat in steep waves.
The Honda would start each time on the 1st or second yank. I thought it would run smooth like a sewing machine, but it had more vibration than the Johnson. No mystery there.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:49 PM   #111

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Thank you gentlemen on the where to purchase advice! I'll check it out.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #112

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Commercial grounds maintenance supply businesses often have a line of Honda generators, water pumps, pressure washers, tillers etc. in out part of the world anyway. I bought mine from Mutt’s in Fort Wayne after the derecho. Tornadoes, floods, ice storms, anything that knocks down trees over power lines will sell out generator supplies for miles around. The day the derecho hit us, I called my sonin law in Fort Wayne. He picked up 3 2200i generators and 6 five gallon gas cans for me. I drove to Valparaiso the next morning and got them from him. We were without power for 11days. My son and my daughters
who were also without power each got an early Christmas present. We saved everything in the freezers and refrigerators, had hot water, could run fans, open and close overhead garage doors, I washed a couple loads of clothes in the Speed Queen and watched some TV at the end of each day. Lots of drop cords, which I had. Burned some fuel but made me a Honda generator believer. I have two Honda tillers, a Honda powered pressure washer, and the 2200i generator. It all started with my 305 Super Hawk 54 years ago. I think my next outboard motor will be a Honda.
Iowa Dave
Northern Tool and Equipment sell a number of Honda generators, Honda replacement engines, Honda lawnmowers, Honda-powered pressure washers with triplex pumps, Honda water pumps, etcetera.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...=P-SalesRank|1
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Give that carburetor a little shot of starting ether and it will start right up.
Iowa Dave
Thanks, Dave. Guess I should have done that.
Nova Kool RFU6800
Old 06-02-2022, 07:57 PM   #114

Trailer: 2020 5.0
Enjoyed reading through all of these post. A wealth of information. One thing I did not understand is whether a propane converted Honda 2200 can be connected to the quick connect (assuming I have the right length of hose and connectors) on my 5.0 without changing/adding any regulator?
hitectoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #115

Trailer: 2018 21
Gotta use the kit

You have to use the regulator supplied with the kit. But you can get a nice long hose that connects to the QC.
I use mine that way and don't have to worry about lugging a big propane tank around with the Generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitectoys View Post
Enjoyed reading through all of these post. A wealth of information. One thing I did not understand is whether a propane converted Honda 2200 can be connected to the quick connect (assuming I have the right length of hose and connectors) on my 5.0 without changing/adding any regulator?
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #116

Trailer: 2015 Escape Industries E 19 (Canadian Escape)
Steveanson or any other clever person - Help!! Can I make sure I understand this procedure for preventing an E2 error code on my 2015 E19 when I plug the trailer power cable into my Honda 2000 generator?

I think it goes as follows but please let me know if this is what you mean: I find a 10-12 gauge extension cord, revise the male plug on this extension cord to have the neutral and ground portions bonded by adding that 3 inch piece of 12 gauge wire between the neutral and ground portions of the plug. Then I plug this newly "bonded" male plug of the extension cord into the Honda generator and plug the trailer power cable (with it's dog bone adapter) into the female end of the 10-12 guage extension cord? Is this correct or am I missing a step or two? If this is correct or close, then a shorter extension cord would be better than a longer one, correct? Thanks!
mapoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:26 PM   #117

Here’s how mine works on the 2200i Honda we have.
On the male end of our trailer power cord we push on a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter. On one of the two outlets on the generator, plug in your neutral bonding plug. I did not build mine, I bought one on Amazon that is made by Southwire. Start your generator up. Once running, plug in either your adapted trailer cord into the other outlet or into a drop cord. I’m using a 50 foot 12 gauge wire cord. I also have a 25 made from the original removable cord. The 50 to 75 foot long combination allows us to set the generator away from the camper.

I have not used the generator in a campground where my neighbors were not family. My exhaust has been towards the forest. I have not used it where there are any fire possibilities apparent. I do not run the generator on the eco mode. Our 21 has the Escape factory installed EMS. So both Outlets on the generator are used but only one provides power to the trailer. The shorter, heavier the extension cord, if used, the better. With the 30/20 adapter you don’t have to have an extension cord if you don’t need or want one. Hope this helps. We have the micro air easy start installed on the air conditioner on the 21. The EMS would kick out on generator power before we installed the soft start when the locked rotor compressor tried to start. We cool the trailer down before bed. In our part of the world the dehumidification that the AC provides makes the trailer attractive for sleeping. We shut the generator off and once it cools, I lock it up in the tow vehicle. Then Rita turns on the max fan and cracks a couple windows. Reace told me I was not qualified to push any buttons on the max fan and that it was necessary for me to camp with someone who had read the manual.

The night air, pulled through the camper is comfortable enough for us to go to sleep and stay sleeping through the night till a kick butt thunderstorm builds up and lets loose. If there’s a possibility of that I put the awning away before retiring for the evening. Everyone camps a little differently. Some people like to put their awning down in the rain in their sleeping clothes or lack of them. Others just push the retract button or trust the automatic retract function. Still others pick the pieces up the next morning and ask their spouse if they have insurance coverage and what is the deductible?
Iowa Dave
Old 08-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #118

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I like that, Dave...
Attached Thumbnails
muppet3.jpg  
Old 08-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #119

thanks Iowa Dave

thanks for sharing your experience. Glad I asked as your set up is different from what I was guessing was the workable solution. Do you verify your batteries are charging by watching the percentage and or voltage reported on the solar meter or by testing the battery terminals, or watching hydrogen gas be released or Do you need to turn on or off the battery disconnect to charge the batteries or does it not matter?
Old 08-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #120

more electrical questions

Hi - I have some more questions:

1. What exactly do I need to purchase to add portable solar panels to my system for those times my roof top solar panel is in the shade? i have a new to me 2015 E19 with a 160 W Go Power solar panel on the roof, a Go Power GP-PWM-30 charge controller, a Progressive Industries EMS (EMS-HW30C), and a WFCO Converter (WF-8955PEC). Im pretty sure I do NOT have an inverter or transfer switch in the system. I don't expect the solar panels to run my A/C or 120 V. outlets. Looking for something in the 100-200 W range.

2. Does the "battery disconnect" switch need to be in the "on" (battery connected) position to charge the batteries from a.) the solar panels and b.) from an external honda generator? Or does it not matter?

3. Is the only time I'd want the battery disconnect switch in the off position is when I want to have no drain on the batteries whatsoever?

Tags
generator