Generator questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21C
Generator questions

Hi - We have a 21C on order. We are planning on going with a RecPro AC3400 unit, and powering it with a Honda EU3000is generator. Where are folks carrying their generators while in transit? We have a F350 with a canopy, so no problem there, other than getting it in and out of the bed while in camp as it weighs 130 lbs. Suggestions/solutions? Thanks.
Dcgrout@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcgrout@icloud.com View Post
Hi - We have a 21C on order. We are planning on going with a RecPro AC3400 unit, and powering it with a Honda EU3000is generator. Where are folks carrying their generators while in transit? We have a F350 with a canopy, so no problem there, other than getting it in and out of the bed while in camp as it weighs 130 lbs. Suggestions/solutions? Thanks.
I'd suggest a smaller 2000 watt model for ease of use. With a soft start install it can operate the air conditioning.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I leave my generator at the rear of my pickup bed under a hard tonneau cover. Drop the tailgate, fire it up, and plug in the trailer. No load/unload or worry about it wandering off. Running under the cover also keeps the ambient noise down.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd suggest a smaller 2000 watt model for ease of use. With a soft start install it can operate the air conditioning.
Might be able to run with 2200W gen and Microair Easy Start or equivalent but gen will be loaded up. Max load for this 13.5K BTU unit says 1700W and rated load for EU2200i is 1800W. Can’t run above that for more than 30 minutes. If you are at any elevation and/or have anything else running it probably won’t start the A/C. Personally if the 9500 BTU Houghton unit (Rec Pro AC-2801) was available that would be a better start to minimizing load and running off smaller gen.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #5

A 13,500 btu unit is way too large for an Escape, regardless of model. You will be freezing and then hot while it cycles on and off. I have had that experience in way too many SOB's in the my past.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have the 11,000 btu Dometic in my 19 and I think that one is even too large for my trailer and it is hugely too loud, something to consider. My Wen 2350 watt inverter generator ($489.) weighs a mere - I forget - -46 pounds? is pretty quiet, but couldn't handle the ac until I spent $298 for the Micro Air easy start. I have rarely needed AC, anyway. If price and weight and relative sound levels are important, there are options out there.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A 13,500 btu unit is way too large for an Escape, regardless of model. You will be freezing and then hot while it cycles on and off. I have had that experience in way too many SOB's in the my past.
While I believe if you live in the northern states that would be true for sure. Living way down here in South Texas a 13500 may almost be required?

I would be interested to hear from someone who has the smaller AC unit and camps in the South.

From my past experience, although not an escape, but a small hybrid trailer, even with the tent ends up during the day the 13500 AC would keep it in the mid 80's.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I leave my generator at the rear of my pickup bed under a hard tonneau cover. Drop the tailgate, fire it up, and plug in the trailer. No load/unload or worry about it wandering off. Running under the cover also keeps the ambient noise down.
Ditto.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
What a can of worms.

Let's test for air conditioning need.

Where are you going to camp? Is elevation a factor? How hot does it get. If not above 80°, then why bother!

So far, I have needed air conditioning once (in 11 month of ownership). In late September of 2020, in Zion N.P. The temp hit 106°. We have the standard Dometic air conditioner. The one thing about it I did not realize and incidentally HATE is this. It is so loud that it feels like a jet is hovering overhead. Not really, but kinda!

I was constantly looking for opportunities to turn it off. When I did, it got hot! When it got too much, I went out to hike in 106° temps. Yikes!

I hate the whole idea of air conditioning and will almost always choose to seek elevation when possible, instead. That was terrible. And in the campground, all you could hear was that giant sucking sound of air conditioning. Not a person in sight. Except me, of course. It was gross.

Honestly I am looking at coolers like this one below. Just out of desperation to keep things quiet. I do not like the feeling that fighter jets are taking off from the roof.

Where are you going to camp that you need to haul a generator around? Those things are totally loud, so are air conditioners (loud x 2). One of the beautiful qualities of an Escape is how quiet they are. I am constantly telling people, particularly tent campers, that I don't even own a generator! Love it! So do they!

https://www.icybreeze.com/buy-icybreeze-v2-pro/

If you need it, sure! If not, then skip (else). 2 cents, nothing more.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #10

The fan in the Escape does a wonderful job in that a/c is not needed that often. There is a reason you have wheels on the trailer........
Old 04-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
The fan may do a great job but I an AC will more than likely be necessary in Texas or other states with similar climates. We've lived in Texas a very long time and can't imagine not having AC in cars, trucks, houses, etc.
Glenn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
While I believe if you live in the northern states that would be true for sure. Living way down here in South Texas a 13500 may almost be required?

I would be interested to hear from someone who has the smaller AC unit and camps in the South.

I'd be interested to hear too. The thing in my mind is that these Escape trailers are all, by RV standards, pretty tiny little boxes. And the way AC works, the most comfortable AC is the one that can just hit the temperature you desire when it is running all the time. Nothing is worse than a grossly oversized AC, because it will short cycle and leave you cold and clammy.

But I don't know how much cooling capacity an Escape needs in the worst case hot weather camping. The vast majority of my camping is in the north. I use an RV AC unit so little it often feels like a waste to even have it.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Let's hope the Original Poster lets us know whether he already owns a Honda EU3000is or is thinking one may be required for his situation.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I made a slide/tray with wheels for our generator to move on.
Attached Thumbnails
DE5C387A-113F-42C8-9DB3-67CB45BCAAC7.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'd be interested to hear too. The thing in my mind is that these Escape trailers are all, by RV standards, pretty tiny little boxes. And the way AC works, the most comfortable AC is the one that can just hit the temperature you desire when it is running all the time. Nothing is worse than a grossly oversized AC, because it will short cycle and leave you cold and clammy.

But I don't know how much cooling capacity an Escape needs in the worst case hot weather camping. The vast majority of my camping is in the north. I use an RV AC unit so little it often feels like a waste to even have it.
I’ve posted this before but here it is again...I’ve installed 9,000 BTU (AHRI rated capacity) mini-splits in an older 19 and newer 21 and they cool perfectly. Actual capacity range is 1700 - 10700 BTU. Both have been run in very hot, humid weather. The 21 has traversed the country twice. You can get away with oversizing something with an inverter compressor as it will dial in where it needs to be. You should not oversize constant speed compressors which unfortunately are prevalent on all the major rooftop unit brands. Unit will short-cycle and not dehumidify as you say. I believe there is a good reason the 9,500 BTU Houghton unit from Rec Pro is out of stock. Plenty of cooling for smaller trailers.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:32 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post

From my past experience, although not an escape, but a small hybrid trailer, even with the tent ends up during the day the 13500 AC would keep it in the mid 80's.
I have the Dometic 11,000 in my 21 and it will easily start and run with my Honda 2200. I was told at my orientation that the AC in my 21 was a newer model that was an easier start than older ones. Gets and stays plenty cool enough for me. I'm in Kenedy County south of Kingsville. Can't get too much further south than here and still be in Texas.

I have installed the Hatch Mt. propane kit on my 2200. Works great and can switch between gas and propane in seconds.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Saw your posting about three energy-source converter for Honda EU2200.

Hutch Mountain Compatible with Honda Eu2200i Propane - Gasoline Natural Gas Trifuel Generator Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WV966YH...HQ7JF7E6WH6TF7

How challenging to install yourself? Although this unit is quiet anyway, does its operation noise level change from gas to propane? Can you say anything about its propane consumption?

Thanks!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Saw your posting about three energy-source converter for Honda EU2200.

Hutch Mountain Compatible with Honda Eu2200i Propane - Gasoline Natural Gas Trifuel Generator Conversion Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WV966YH...HQ7JF7E6WH6TF7

How challenging to install yourself? Although this unit is quiet anyway, does its operation noise level change from gas to propane? Can you say anything about its propane consumption?

Thanks!
Jonathan
It is a straight forward install. The only 'invasive' thing is drilling a hole in the top of the gen for the propane external hose quick connect. The furnished internal hose is attached to the quick connect then bolts to the carb and you're done. A bit tight running the hose from the external quick connect to the carb but not overly so.

The Honda 2200 has a three position switch. 'Off, fuel shut off', On'. The 'fuel shut off' position becomes the propane running position. Turn to this position and run the gen until it quits so there is no gas in the carb. Open the propane tank valve and you are now in the propane business. Course, you gotta yank the cord a bit.

Turn the propane tank valve off and let it run until it quits, Move the Switch to 'on' , yank the cord some more and you're back in the gas business. How simple is that?

No noticeable noise change and I haven't run it enough to tell about propane consumption
Old 04-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
The fan may do a great job but I an AC will more than likely be necessary in Texas or other states with similar climates. We've lived in Texas a very long time and can't imagine not having AC in cars, trucks, houses, etc.
I grew up without a/c and I know the feeling. Air conditioning is mainly used here in the middle Atlantic states to dehumidify vs cooling, which is an indirect benefit of dehumidifying. Air conditioning inside a home all sealed from outside does not appeal to some, feeling the air on your skin is one of the benefits of sitting around a campfire.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We have a Champion dual fuel 2500w inverter gen. Living along coastal Texas, with our abundance of tropical and stronger storms, we have 3 different sizes generators, including a propane fueled 14.5kw Generac. The 2.5 kw Champion is a work horse for our barn that houses a frig, freezer and window unit cooled 10x15 room along with lights. I has run a little over 3 days on one 30lb propane tank. I think it weighs around 80lbs and is quite easy to tote around. I've not had an occasion to try it with our 5.0, but suspect it will run the soft start Coleman 13.5 btu AC with ease. Volts x Amps=watts needed
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator