Getting hosed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Myron has the right hose and by using the inv flare to NPT adapter off his old hose - he is good to go. Correct?
Yes, because he has all 1/4" components, inverted flare on the hose, and the right adapter between it and the regulator. If he actually had a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, it wouldn't work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Think now I get it. We are connecting two different sized things and need to know the correct terms of their connectivity. What we (I) had here is a failure to know the correct terminology.
  • A reducer is the wrong thing. An adapter is the right thing, because it is not just a reducer, it’s really an adapter.
  • Reducers are for plumbers, adapters are for trailers. Their threads are not the same.
  • Don’t be measuring the outside of the adapter and reading ½ inches because what counts is measuring the inside of the adapter and getting 3/8ths of an inch.
  • My regulator did not come with them adapters, but my original hoses did. I could have removed and reused them.
Actually, I think using propane grade pipe tape is ok. They used it on my original hoses. You can pass me the corn liquor now, Dave.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Actually, I think using propane grade pipe tape is ok. They used it on my original hoses.
Tape is good on tapered pipe threads , but not on the straight threads that hold together a flare fitting . There are both types of connection in your system, and the tape (or dope) only belongs on the ones where the threads jamming together makes the seal, not the ones where the flared parts seating together makes the seal (as with the cone-shaped area inside the end of the adapter which faces the hose in this case) and the threads need to turn freely until the flared bits seat.

I hope the original connections only had tape in the appropriate places... if not, someone at the factory needs to be fired, or at least better trained and supervised. Propane work is certainly feasible for do-it-yourselfers, but there are real risks of not doing it right.

And now I'm starting to get nervous that the brass piece Myron used is just a pipe thread reducer, with an inverted flare fitting jammed into the smaller end of it with thread tape, because I don't see the conical seat in the visible end (and because 96 cents sounds too cheap for the proper adapter). That would be an invitation to eventual failure. Myron, I don't know if these pieces came out of a bin or in individual packaging with a label, but were they called
1/4 NPT x 1/4 inverted flare adapters (good)
or
1/4 NPT x 1/8 NPT reducers (bad)
?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #24

Catching up on an earlier comment...
Quote:
Just curious - your pic of the old hose shows what looks like a 1/4" flare fitting in an adapter fitting. (two wrench flats together) Have you tried to unscrew it?
I see what you mean, Tom, but the flats match so perfectly and the gap is so clean and the size is so small (it would have to be something like an 1/8" NPT join between them) that I'm pretty sure that you are just seeing a groove in the single part.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
ETI uses a licensed gas-fitter.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Catching up on an earlier comment...

I see what you mean, Tom, but the flats match so perfectly and the gap is so clean and the size is so small (it would have to be something like an 1/8" NPT join between them) that I'm pretty sure that you are just seeing a groove in the single part.
From earlier posts:
Quote:
Just curious - your pic of the old hose shows what looks like a 1/4" flare fitting in an adapter fitting. (two wrench flats together) Have you tried to unscrew it?
Quote:
I think you're right, TD. Just noticed that.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
ETI uses a licensed gas-fitter.
That would probably be required in B.C. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that there was anything substandard about Escape's propane fitting work. My guess would be that pipe tape or dope was used on the NPT threads in the regulator body, and not on any flare fitting.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #28

Quote:
From earlier posts...
And in that post Myron showed the hose end fitting from another angle, in which it also appears to be one piece. Myron, did you try unscrewing this potential joint? I assume not, or that it didn't come apart.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And the Union Pacific mainline runs about three miles north of there. I’m about 4 miles north. Last night down at the fire ring with a little south wind I could hear those Wyoming bound coal trains running 78 miles an hour and blowing the horn at every crossing. We had experienced a .60 rainfall in the afternoon so In between the trains I could hear the corn snapping and popping as it grew.
Iowa Dave

Ah, a veritable symphony to my ears: 4000+ HP turbo 2 or 4 cyl. in Run-8, a light rain, a gentle breeze, Corn snap, crackle, pop (or is that rice?), and an occasional 5 chime diesel horn demonstrating the doppler effect.
edit: all while receiving an education in plumbing fittings!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #30

Just put it all together. I decided to remove and re-use the original adapters, yes they came apart, (I shined them up, too) and because the old hose threads were taped i used tape on everything. Really appreciate the energy you guys put into this subject. Will be keeping an eye out for trouble...your concerns are muchly appreciated.

I titled this thread thinking a cute joke would work but never thought it would be so profoundly accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
prophose1.jpg  
Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That would probably be required in B.C.

I know cause I had to wait for him to arrive when I stopped at ETI to have my propane tanks rotated 90 degrees for plastic cover.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
I noticed your one tank gauge is reading empty?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #33

Yep, currently squeezing out the last cubic centimeters of propane, then go for a fresh twenty pounds, $10. Those Costco tanks with the gauge are nice.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #34

Quote:
I decided to remove and re-use the original adapters...
That's a good idea, since they were correct in the first place.

I now understand Tom's earlier comment about taking things apart: he was talking about the inverted flare to NPT adapter on the original hose (which Myron has now removed and reused), and of course he clearly said that, not the fitting on the end of the new hose from Amazon. Sorry for the confusion!

Quote:
... because the old hose threads were taped i used tape on everything.
Yes, tape between the adapter and the regulator body is appropriate, because that is a tapered pipe thread connection.

If you used the hoses which you showed (labelled as "Amazon purchase" in your first post) with a 1/4" inverted flare connection, with an adapter of that type, and it was taped from the factory... then that "licensed gas-fitter" should have his license suspended. I'm not kidding. Was the hose-to-adapter connection really taped from the factory?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Just put it all together. I decided to remove and re-use the original adapters, yes they came apart, (I shined them up, too) and because the old hose threads were taped i used tape on everything. Really appreciate the energy you guys put into this subject. Will be keeping an eye out for trouble...your concerns are muchly appreciated.

I titled this thread thinking a cute joke would work but never thought it would be so profoundly accurate.
I want to thank you for helping us! If you hadn't started this thread, I would have not looked at my propane pigtails and noticed the cracks. New pigtails in the mail and all is good.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #36

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Made me go look at my propane pigtails - Yep, their cracking! Ordered two "Made in USA" SS braided pigtails from etrailer.https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...100833-12.html
I'm thinking the SS braiding looks great, prevents abrasion, provide some UV exposure but will hide the inevitable cracking.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
My turn to get hosed.....today I noticed cracking on both pig tails on my 2019 trailer. I don’t know why it happened so soon. I’ll check the other rubber propane hose as well. Isn’t leaking at this point. Trailer is just a year and a half old, never left the propane tank cover off so UV isn’t the problem.
Something to inspect even on the newer trailers.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
56ECA13E-19AE-4B23-9292-6BE834AE6573.jpeg  
Lanark Camper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Wow...thanks for the heads up.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
The hoses are manufactured in Canada, they have a date of manufacture of 08/04/2019. I’ve sent pictures of the label and cracks in the hose to the manufacturer, and cc’d Escape.
It maybe a quality control issue they are not aware of. I think I’ll check the hose leaving the regulator next !

If they reply to me I’ll post it here.

Bob
Lanark Camper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Thanks for posting, just checked mine dated 2/4/19, didn't see any issue.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote