Good Dehumidifier - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Thanks, Tom. I need to go weigh my old Kenmore. I bet it weights more than twice that. Not fun to lug around.
Edit: Update: 47 pounds, and no real handle to speak of for carrying convenience. I think it was just meant to be put somewhere and left to do its job. And it does still do it's job! But for convenience, I may have to check into one of those 13 pound Ecoseb 15 pint'ers.
Dale, it is also only about 2/3rds of the size of my compressor dehumidifier.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I use an Ecoseb, available from Amazon. It works well and is smaller and lighter than a compressor dehumidifier. Pricey at around $200, but works in low temps. At home in Florida I use a compressor dehumidifier which I run into sink, through gray water tank, and through a hose to landscape plants.
Our 19 was just put into an enclosed storage location without any heating or air conditioning. Right now it can get pretty hot and humid here in NY and I'm wondering about getting an Ecoseb inside the trailer now and then running it though the winter with the drain going into the gray water tank. Is anyone running a dehumidifier like this in storage?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Our 19 was just put into an enclosed storage location without any heating or air conditioning. Right now it can get pretty hot and humid here in NY and I'm wondering about getting an Ecoseb inside the trailer now and then running it though the winter with the drain going into the gray water tank. Is anyone running a dehumidifier like this in storage?
Yup, here in the Pacific NorthWet it's really humid in the winter.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've been using two Dri-Z-Air containers in my 17B since 2008. It's worked for me. But, I buy a large container of the crystals, not the little packets.
gbaglo, do you shut your trailer uptight when using the Dri-Z-Air or do you crack a window and roof vent for circulation? Where I will be storing my trailer there isn't any power, so the Dri-Z-Air sounds like a good idea if it works well.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Keep in mind, that my Ecoseb, which I only use when I am traveling with the trailer, can remove up to 15 pints/day, and in high humidity often approaches that volume, maybe 12 pints. That is 1-1/2 gallons. My compressor dehumidifier will remove 30 pints per day, or 3-3/4 gallons per day. In any event, even at a rate of 1 gallon per day, the gray water tank is going to need to be emptied once a month or it will overflow. That is why I have the seer cap which allows attachment to a hose. My dehumidifier water is passed through, not held in the gray water tank. This is not a problem because I store my trailer at home, in a rural area, and the water from the dehumidifier is discharged to landscape plantings. If you cannot empty the gray water tank or are prohibited from discharging gray water on your property, draining a dehumidifier into the sink may not be a good idea. However, water is not classified as "gray" until it goes down a plumbing drain. Dumping the dehumidifier's reservoir on the ground should be "legal" in any jurisdiction.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
gbaglo, do you shut your trailer uptight when using the Dri-Z-Air or do you crack a window and roof vent for circulation? Where I will be storing my trailer there isn't any power, so the Dri-Z-Air sounds like a good idea if it works well.
My trailer is in the front yard, with house power, so from time to time I use an 800 watt oil-filled heater. I open the fan a crack when I do that.
When using the Dri-Z-Air, I figure that I can't dehumidify all of North Vancouver, so I have it closed up. All cupboard doors are open and cushions stood on end.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I leave one of these plugged in over the winter, keeps the trailer warm and dry....https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrum...2N872B4PH90BCY
Jim, do you only use the Davis and not a dehumidifier?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Keep in mind Jim's in York PA, big winter temp difference with upstate NY. The unit in question sounds like a heater, it may be too small for your colder temps.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Jim, do you only use the Davis and not a dehumidifier?
A buddy gave me one of those that he used on his tug boat for a while. I saw no evidence that it was doing anything, so I tossed it. I could be wrong .
Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use the Davis unit and the 400 watt heater, both together. I also use these thermostatically cubes that turn the power on at 35 and off at 45 for each appliance. I put the heater in the bath on the wooden floor and the Davis on the sink
https://smile.amazon.com/Farm-Innova...tatically+cube
The Davis is on or off whereas the heater has a thermostat. The Davis is the dehumidifier.
Attached Thumbnails
41zyRePaQcL.jpg  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I use the Davis unit and the 400 watt heater, both together.
The Davis is the dehumidifier.
As Bob suggested, even the Davis is simply a heater.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:45 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes it is a heater, but some heaters will also dehumidify also, dual benefits. Dehumidifers add heat to the air too, can not have one without the other.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #53

Quote:
Yes it is a heater, but some heaters will also dehumidify also, dual benefits. Dehumidifers add heat to the air too, can not have one without the other.
No heater will remove moisture from the air, period.

The moisture (water) contained in air is defined as humidity. Warm air can hold more water than cold air. When you raise the temperature of air you may lower the relative humidity but the humidity remains the same. Lowering the relative humidity with heat may make a human feel less sticky and uncomfortable, but the number of water molecules (water vapor) in the air remains the same. To truly dry something out, one needs to use a dehumidifier, not a heater. Compressor dehumidifiers accomplish this with "cold" could on which humidity condenses and drips into a collection system. Desiccant dehumidifies "blow" heat on the desiccant substrate which in simple terms causes the desiccant to release "captured" moisture into a collection system. The collection system is typically a reservoir which is emptied when full, but most dehumidifiers can be hooked to a hose so their outflow can be diverted.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 AM   #54

Near as I could tell, a Davis is just an expensive light bulb.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Good explanation Carl. I learned not long ago that dew point numbers provide a more useful understanding of how much actual water is contained in air than relative humidity numbers.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #56

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Interesting side-benefit (or not) of a compressor-style dehumidifier is that in addition to actively removing moisture from the air (by condensing moisture on to chilled plates then catching the drippings in a pan), it also heats air leaving the dehumidifier as a consequence of the compressor system. So you're getting a "two-for". That heated air leaving the dehumidifier can be of benefit in cooler climates where it helps heat the camper's cabin. Not so much in warmer climates like here in the Southeast in Summer. More than a couple days of running our dehumidifier in our enclosed camper heats the interior way beyond comfort level. Doesn't help to open windows to vent the added heat because that just lets in more humidity. So it's a balancing act. But if that's my biggest problem, life is good....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Interesting side-benefit (or not) of a compressor-style dehumidifier is that in addition to actively removing moisture from the air (by condensing moisture on to chilled plates then catching the drippings in a pan), it also heats air leaving the dehumidifier as a consequence of the compressor system. So you're getting a "two-for". That heated air leaving the dehumidifier can be of benefit in cooler climates where it helps heat the camper's cabin. Not so much in warmer climates like here in the Southeast in Summer. More than a couple days of running our dehumidifier in our enclosed camper heats the interior way beyond comfort level. Doesn't help to open windows to vent the added heat because that just lets in more humidity. So it's a balancing act. But if that's my biggest problem, life is good....
That is true, but in cold weather a compressor dehumidifier can freeze up, unless it is a model designed for operation below 45° or so. A desiccant dehumidifier however is "driven" by heat and will raise the temperature in its immediate area far more than a compressor unit will. They can, however emit a slight though peculiar odor (from the desiccant) when operating.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #58

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
On more then 1 occasion I've run both the dehumidifier and the A/C, the A/C just to cool the camper down from the dehumidifiers heat.

Tried using the A/C for dehumidifying before I got the dehumidifier, it works but you have to keep it running. It ends up so cold I thought about running the heat concurrently, which I didn't actually try.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #59

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yes it is a heater, but some heaters will also dehumidify also, dual benefits.
All heaters lower the relative humidity by enabling the air to hold more moisture (as the others have explained)... without removing any water from the air at all. The Davis device is sold for management of humid rooms because it runs at low power and is safe to leave unattended. Any other fanless heater of the same power would have exactly the same effect.

Quote:
Dehumidifers add heat to the air too, can not have one without the other.
True, because the waste heat of running the appliance has to end up somewhere, and that's in the room where it is operating, but a dehumidifier actually removes moisture!

Due to the difference in efficiency, a compressor-based dehumidifier will add less heat than a peltier-based dehumidifier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #60

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
ecoseb ok?

I know a few of you have mentioned this unit:
https://www.amazon.com/EcoSeb-DD122E...eywords=ecoseb

And love the idea of the comparative small size and weight, but the reviews are a scary high percentage of 1's, due almost unanimously to it just farting out and not working after a certain period of time. Have those of you on here that have used it in your trailer used it much? I've narrowed it down to this or the slightly larger and heavier Frigidaire model for a 5.0 TA we're picking up next month. I wonder if the Frigidaire will also fit under the stairs at 20.5" tall?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote