GoPower Solar Controller App on fritz - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
GoPower Solar Controller App on fritz

Never had an issue pulling up the solar controller info on the IOS app until this past Sunday.

After deciding to monitor the batteries while using the inverter, the app reported “Failed to initialize”. Been that way ever since.

Called GoPower and was told that we could run through a reset, but that they had discovered a glitch with both Android and IOS apps rendering them unable to hook up to the controller. Did the reset but no fix.

Apparently, the Android fix is in as of yesterday, but the IOS fix is 2 weeks off.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Can the Inverter be turned on using the GoPower app?
Old 02-04-2022, 05:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Never had an issue pulling up the solar controller info on the IOS app until this past Sunday.

After deciding to monitor the batteries while using the inverter, the app reported “Failed to initialize”. Been that way ever since.

Called GoPower and was told that we could run through a reset, but that they had discovered a glitch with both Android and IOS apps rendering them unable to hook up to the controller. Did the reset but no fix.

Apparently, the Android fix is in as of yesterday, but the IOS fix is 2 weeks off.
Same has happened with mine. Tried all the normal things. Make the inverter forget the phone, reinstall the app, restart, etc. nothing worked. I found some info in the Gopower troubleshooting section that says if you fail to disconnect the app from the inverter after using too many times this might be the cause. You just don’t treat it like it’s always ready. It seems the answer is a hard reset. I haven’t tried that yet as the Trailers in storage. Fingers crossed when I do.

Last 10 seconds of this video…
https://support.gpelectric.com/kb/ar...ection-issues/
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post
Same has happened with mine. Tried all the normal things. Make the inverter forget the phone, reinstall the app, restart, etc. nothing worked. I found some info in the Gopower troubleshooting section that says if you fail to disconnect the app from the inverter after using too many times this might be the cause. You just don’t treat it like it’s always ready. It seems the answer is a hard reset. I haven’t tried that yet as the Trailers in storage. Fingers crossed when I do.

Last 10 seconds of this video…
https://support.gpelectric.com/kb/ar...ection-issues/
Looks like, in the current situation, the IOS app is simply not working not matter what you do to reset it. They said another two weeks to get it fixed.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Can’t say at the moment cause the app is not hooking up, but I recall seeing what might be a switch that mentions the inverter. Might be that it is just a reflection of on/off status or it might be an active on/off switch.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
When the app works, yes.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Looks like, in the current situation, the IOS app is simply not working not matter what you do to reset it. They said another two weeks to get it fixed.
Have you tried the hard reset? Disconnecting battery and Solar from charge controller?
Old 02-04-2022, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post
Have you tried the hard reset? Disconnecting battery and Solar from charge controller?
No, the GoPower guy told me it would be a waste of time. Even if I lucked out once, itvwould loose connection again. He said better to wait for the app update; or buy an Android phone, I guess.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As new versions of iOS appear, many apps turn belly up. It probably takes a fair amount of time for a company that isn't really in the app business to realize a new version of operating systems killed their product & they need to get it fixed. At least they are fixing it. I've had camera remotes, etc where the app maker just gave up and let it die, making the hardware useless.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
My trailer has been sitting since fall with a cover over it and solar active. I just walked out, launched the Android app, and it connected and appears to work correctly.

I have not manually installed an update to the app nor Go-Power FW. I guess it's possible there was an auto-update. Is that typical? OP's comment about Android being fixed now has me wondering.

Did Go-Power say this issue only occurs when the inverter is on?

My app has always refused to display the correct battery type and refused to change when I tried. It shows LIFEPO but I have 2 6V wet. The charge profile seems to match the wet cells... which is good! Maybe it's a good time to call about my setting issue and explore this new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220206-075013_Go Power! Connect.jpg  
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I just put in a victron shunt and hooked up my phone that way works great.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
My trailer has been sitting since fall with a cover over it and solar active. I just walked out, launched the Android app, and it connected and appears to work correctly.

I have not manually installed an update to the app nor Go-Power FW. I guess it's possible there was an auto-update. Is that typical? OP's comment about Android being fixed now has me wondering.

Did Go-Power say this issue only occurs when the inverter is on?

My app has always refused to display the correct battery type and refused to change when I tried. It shows LIFEPO but I have 2 6V wet. The charge profile seems to match the wet cells... which is good! Maybe it's a good time to call about my setting issue and explore this new one?
GP didn’t mention the inverter. My impression was that both IOS and Android system updates messed with the respective app functions. Perhaps Android app got fixed first because they don’t have to jump through Apple’s convoluted approval process.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I've always wondered if the GP inverter will run if you remove the GP controller. Is there a remote on/off button available?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 02-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
I just put in a victron shunt and hooked up my phone that way works great.
Yes, is it's on my list as I want more insight than the Go_Power provides. But the Go-Power app should work!

Quote:
GP didn’t mention the inverter. My impression was that both IOS and Android system updates messed with the respective app functions. Perhaps Android app got fixed first because they don’t have to jump through Apple’s convoluted approval process.
Thanks. If the app fails to connect, I won't panic. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #15
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
The problem may be with the Inverter itself. This happened to me a few months ago, and after going through some troubleshooting efforts with tech support (hard reset, etc.), they ended out sending me a (warranty covered) replacement. The person I was working with told me this is a not unheard of problem with the inverters. I’m using an iPhone, but it was never mentioned that the operating system was at fault.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I've always wondered if the GP inverter will run if you remove the GP controller. Is there a remote on/off button available?

Thanks,

Perry
I think so. The controller is tied to it, but only as a remote switch. As I recall, I can power the inverter directly or through the controller. The controller is much more convenient because of the app interface but I don't think the solar controller is needed. I've been known to be wrong about 2X/day and climbing but that's what I remember.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

Thanks,

Perry
Depending on the model GoPower Inverter you have there is at least one remote, maybe 2. They are wired. My older GoPower GP-HS1500 will only work with the GP SWR-A, a simple push button with a on/off indicating LED.

If you have one of the newer inverters, the GP-ISW-R offers readouts of voltage/current, etc as well as the ability to turn it off & on.

As far as I know, the GP-SWR-A will work with any of their inverters. I added it over the refrigerator because I got tired of crawling around on my hands & knees to turn on the inverter.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:44 AM   #18

Quote:

Thanks,

Perry
This is on my list to put next to the receptacle on the kitchen cabinet face.

https://gpelectric.com/products/pure...mote-gp-swr-a/