Gray Water - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Gray Water

We are in the 4th day camping in Upstate NY. Gray water tank filled up. First indication of that was dripping from under trailer and the black foam bulge located behind the step. Note: Trailer is not perfectly level side to side. It leans slightly toward the passenger side. Normally when this has happened in the past gray water will pop up in the shower drain. I emptied the gray water tank. Of course the leaking quit. Is there an overflow 'valve' built into the tank topside? Or do I have a bonafide problem? TIA
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
We are in the 4th day camping in Upstate NY. Gray water tank filled up. First indication of that was dripping from under trailer and the black foam bulge located behind the step. Note: Trailer is not perfectly level side to side. It leans slightly toward the passenger side. Normally when this has happened in the past gray water will pop up in the shower drain. I emptied the gray water tank. Of course the leaking quit. Is there an overflow 'valve' built into the tank topside? Or do I have a bonafide problem? TIA
There is not an overflow 'valve' on the 21 other than the shower drain. There is a vent behind the shower wall but it is almost level with the shower sink - no way for gray to get that high.

My guess is you have a problem.

Here are some pics of the gray tank connections that are below the top of the gray tank. It's probable one of these is leaking. Note: on your trailer, the trap in pic 1 would be moved closer to the shower drain connection.

Two other connections are on the top of the tank - one is the kitchen sink drain which can be seen in the lower cabinet under the sink and the other is the vent pipe that comes up under the drawer cabinet. If one of those is the cause, it's major surgery as the tank would probably have to be dropped to fix it. It would be rare that one of these is the problem as the shower drain would fill first.

I would start with removing the foam around the two connections shown in the pics to see which one(s) are leaking -- or call Escape and let them deal with it as your trailer should be under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
ABS Trap.jpg   Escape 21' drain.jpg  
Old 08-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #3

Thanks. I suspected that there is a problem. Ill contact Escape before removing the foam.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
There is not an overflow 'valve' on the 21 other than the shower drain. There is a vent behind the shower wall but it is almost level with the shower sink - no way for gray to get that high.

My guess is you have a problem.

Here are some pics of the gray tank connections that are below the top of the gray tank. It's probable one of these is leaking. Note: on your trailer, the trap in pic 1 would be moved closer to the shower drain connection.

Two other connections are on the top of the tank - one is the kitchen sink drain which can be seen in the lower cabinet under the sink and the other is the vent pipe that comes up under the drawer cabinet. If one of those is the cause, it's major surgery as the tank would probably have to be dropped to fix it. It would be rare that one of these is the problem as the shower drain would fill first.

I would start with removing the foam around the two connections shown in the pics to see which one(s) are leaking -- or call Escape and let them deal with it as your trailer should be under warranty.
Update. I called Escape several days ago. After playing phone tag I finally got through to a guy named Dustin. He said I've got two options. 1. Contact an RV dealer, get an estimate and get back to him. 2. Tear out the insulation and find the source of the leak. I guess I'll go for option #2. I don't want to haul the 21 to any RV dealer who may mess up the interior or the gel coat on the exterior. It just seems to be too risky. That make any sense?

Your image of where the two connections are located is much better than the one's he sent me. I guess I'll use my 3 ton floor jack to raise up that side so I can crawl under and perform the work.