Grey tank drain line separation - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #181

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave123 View Post
"Welcome to the Escape Family. There was issues with the grey tank but we have addressed that issue. We are doing flexible hoses and more supports so this does not happen. "
So what we have now is a continuing negative thread about a situation that no longer exists, misleading newbies to the actual situation for those contemplating buying a trailer.

Probably time to close the thread.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #182

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I draw a distinction between a post that points out an issue and posts that jump on with more "should have", especially when the poster doesn't even own an Escape.
I was not aware that this forum only grants value to posters who own an Escape. Perhaps potential buyers are expected to look elsewhere.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #183

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
You are missing the point, which is that your comment is of little value, made entirely based on a post by another member who does own an Escape.
I read lots of posts that could be considered little value, but luckily for you, you are still allowed to post them.

Think Ron has a good point. There's enough info on the thread now that if someone has this issue, there's solutions to be found in a search of the posts already made.

And kudos to ETI for being open to feedback and still making the best fiberglass trailer on the market, hands down.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #184

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
So what we have now is a continuing negative thread about a situation that no longer exists, misleading newbies to the actual situation for those contemplating buying a trailer.

Ron
I think you're right, Ron. The thread started describing a problem, went on to brainstorm possible reasons and solutions, then Escape started implementing a solution that was discussed on the forum.

Great! From this, anyone contemplating buying an Escape can know that Escape listens to their customers and based on their feedback, corrects mistakes. I could name a number of RV companies that don't.

Now, what about the owners that don't have the "flexible hoses and more supports so this does not happen."
Old 11-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

Now, what about the owners that don't have the "flexible hoses and more supports so this does not happen."
OK, here's the deal. Although I have a flexible coupling sitting on my workbench I won't install it and I'll continue to travel rough forest service roads and hopefully Baja again. If I have a leak or broken connection I'll man up to it, and everyone can have a good laugh.

As far as this thread goes, I think enough has been said about it. Newbies have enough to worry about without worrying about a situation that doesn't now exist.

Ron
Old 11-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #186

Quote:
You are missing the point, which is that your comment is of little value, made entirely based on a post by another member who does own an Escape.
I think I understand your point fully.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #187
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
FWIW, for those of us who still have this problem, there have been many kind owners on this thread that have been quite informative, helpful and very encouraging... as we try to problem solve this together. Thank you!

On that note, we have yet to find any owner that has been able to definitively diagnose their leak, and fix their leaky grey tank, either on their own or by an RV service center. Anyone? Have any Canadian folks with this problem been able to go to ETI for this warranty work yet? Has anyone tried the fix ETI proposed (pdf file in post #140 of this thread)? If so, please share!

We look forward to hearing how others here have remedied their grey tank leak, especially those with the spray foam underneath. We plan to take ours to ETI next year for this warranty work, but for those who can't make that long trek back to ETI, and until the Canadian/US border opens up, your findings, fix and postings be will much appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #188

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Bea, I didn't go back and read all this but you could try dropping Telescopist PM and see if he got his fixed, from the images on the first page of this thread he has the foam.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #189

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
There is at least one! My 2019 19' began leaking at the grey tank drain connection in August.
I took it to ETI and had it repaired under warranty between camping trips. It took ETI about a hour. No problem after that.
RB
R.Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #190
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Bea, I didn't go back and read all this but you could try dropping Telescopist PM and see if he got his fixed, from the images on the first page of this thread he has the foam.
Thanks Bob! We have connected with Telescopist. Really hope to meet you and your wife some day at a rally, Telescopist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Best View Post
There is at least one! My 2019 19' began leaking at the grey tank drain connection in August.
I took it to ETI and had it repaired under warranty between camping trips. It took ETI about a hour. No problem after that.
RB
Wow! That's great news, RB! Was it fixed from the inside (under the kitchen sink)? If so, maybe that pdf file is what they did? Well, at any rate, really appreciate your response! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Weird- you have called for more threads to be closed than any other that I recall. Is that part of your "mysterious mind" workings
Nope, my mind just hates to see the same negative posts over and over again.

Ron
Old 11-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #192

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Wow! That's great news, RB! Was it fixed from the inside (under the kitchen sink)? If so, maybe that pdf file is what they did? Well, at any rate, really appreciate your response! -Bea
Considering that R.Best indicated his issue was at the gray tank drain connection the ETI pdf from post #140 is unfortunately not applicable. Nonetheless it would be great if Robert could weigh in and expand on what Escape may have done, whether he has underbody foam, etc.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #193

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I went through this thread and count 12 camper failures.

Four 21's built in 2019
One 5.0 2018 built in November
Three 5.0's built in 2019
Two 19's built in 2019
One 17B built in 2019
One 21 built in 2013

Except for the outlier built in 2013, the others were built starting in November 2018 continuing through 2019. Makes you wonder what changed around the end of 2018. Why no 2018's (except one) and earlier?

The posts where the owner first mentioned their problem are 1, 8, 10, 10, 90, 91, 100, 109, 119, 126, 130, and 191.

Considering the number of problems this post should remain open and a sticky.

We have a 2018 5.0 built in October, and November 2018 is too close for us.

Perry
Old 11-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #194

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I went through this thread and count 12 camper failures.

Four 21's built in 2019
One 5.0 2018 built in November
Three 5.0's built in 2019
Two 19's built in 2019
One 17B built in 2019
One 21 built in 2013

Except for the outlier built in 2013, the others were built starting in November 2018 continuing through 2019. Makes you wonder what changed around the end of 2018. Why no 2018's (except one) and earlier?

The posts where the owner first mentioned their problem are 1, 8, 10, 10, 90, 91, 100, 109, 119, 126, 130, and 191.

Considering the number of problems this post should remain open and a sticky.

We have a 2018 5.0 built in October, and November 2018 is too close for us.

Perry
Thanks Perry,
Nice stats. It's always nice to free the data see what it tells us.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #195

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
(Snip)... we have yet to find any owner that has been able to definitively diagnose their leak, and fix their leaky grey tank, either on their own or by an RV service center. Anyone? Have any Canadian folks with this problem been able to go to ETI for this warranty work yet? Has anyone tried the fix ETI proposed (pdf file in post #140 of this thread)? If so, please share!
Great question. I was never able to get Escape technical support to provide a clear cut answer with respect to the specific cause of the leak. Surely the source is the top of the tank. That much is *known* Diagnosing let alone effecting a repair is the challenge. The location of the 1.5" straight run through the floor is inconveniently tucked up against the left-front corner of the base cabinet.

I bought a HepvO Sanitary Waste Valve and a tubing cable cutting saw. I guess my next step will be to cut the pipe and remove the trap. I'll see if I can get a purchase on the remaining portion of the straight run with some channel locks and go from there. I'm really playing it by ear since I won' be able to see anything.

My plan is to turn open up one of the propane tanks and fire up the refrig. 24 hours in advance. I'll load it with beer and deli meat.

Quote:
We look forward to hearing how others here have remedied their grey tank leak, especially those with the spray foam underneath. We plan to take ours to ETI next year for this warranty work, but for those who can't make that long trek back to ETI, and until the Canadian/US border opens up, your findings, fix and postings be will much appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Bea
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #196

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Great question. I was never able to get Escape technical support to provide a clear cut answer with respect to the specific cause of the leak. Surely the source is the top of the tank. That much is *known* Diagnosing let alone effecting a repair is the challenge. The location of the 1.5" straight run through the floor is inconveniently tucked up against the left-front corner of the base cabinet.

I bought a HepvO Sanitary Waste Valve and a tubing cable cutting saw. I guess my next step will be to cut the pipe and remove the trap. I'll see if I can get a purchase on the remaining portion of the straight run with some channel locks and go from there. I'm really playing it by ear since I won' be able to see anything.

My plan is to turn open up one of the propane tanks and fire up the refrig. 24 hours in advance. I'll load it with beer and deli meat.
That 1 1/2" ABS pipe is a bugger to cut. I ended up cutting it using a sawzall with a short blade just long enough to cut the pipe but short enough to not cut the cabinet.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-12288.html

The good thing is you won't have to have a clean straight cut on the pipe as you are unscrewing it from the grey tank anyway. At that point, getting the ABS to SJ adapter installed will be easy to do.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #197

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Problem with grey tank drain lines.

When I first saw or heard of a potential problem, looked at it, ordered a rubber coupling from amazon since we do not do much shopping. It did take me about 30 minutes to cut a pipe, install the coupling and secure with a piece of plumbers tape and then it took me about 15 minutes to stand up and say I'm done.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #198

During our video walkthrough of the 21C yesterday, I asked about the reports of grey water output pipe/flange leaks. I was told that Escape was aware of the problem and that they had effected changes to correct it. Details of the fix included additional support.

I did not get the impression that the factory is inserting a flexible rubber section between the flange and the pipe. If anyone has information from Escape that mentions such a flexible addition, please chime in.

Didn’t ask about issues feeding into the grey water tank as I have yet to understand the specific problem.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
The situation exists for those of us who have gray water tank leak issues. Specifically, how are "newbies" being misled?
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #200

Quote:
Thanks Bob! We have connected with Telescopist. Really hope to meet you and your wife some day at a rally, Telescopist!
We will make it happen!

Quote:
Yes. Inquiring minds want to know. How was the fix done? Did you have foam insulation? Thanks.