Grey tank drain line separation - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #261

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Is it because they are all welded on like ours?

I have to look at the stabilizers, but the propane tray is screwed on. I don't fret over a bit of rust where the paint is worn away.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane screw.jpg   Propane tray.jpg  
Old 01-22-2021, 10:16 PM   #262

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
(edited - kinda embarrassed with this) This forum with its modifications, problem solving and continual feedback on their product (both good and bad) is free R&D and Escape should be thankful for it. I don't think that current buyers would be getting the trailers they are today without much of the feedback that has been generated here and either directly or indirectly relayed to Escape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Fluff talk has never been helpful on here. There is supposed to be no connection to ETI and we should be free to discuss honestly with no regard to company sales, etc.
When folks that have expertise reveal problems with construction, it gives me a direction to look for making improvements. Unfortunately, I do find many of the issues pointed out, but I fix them so they won’t cause problems going forward. I greatly appreciate those folks and their input.
I hope ETI is listening as well and bringing expertise on board to address the issues. They have been a good company with a good product and will only get better if they listen and address these base issues.
Complaining about stuff without specifics and a way to resolve the problem doesn't help anyone - either the forum members or Escape. But it's my opinion (for what it's worth ), identifying potential problems along with a way to fix them does help.

There are a lot of improvements that Escape has made to their trailers based on information posted here on this forum. Dave (rubicon327) is absolutely correct that Escape couldn't get better R&D than this group of owners. Do they build the best trailer they could - not yet but they are getting closer as they continue to improve. And I agree with Greg (Greg A), we are not here to sing praises to Escape but to help everyone here with their trailers both current and future.

If we stopped giving Escape that feedback of shortcomings in their build process, the improvements would probably come a little slower. So please bear with the members that continue to look for areas in our trailers that could be made better and post their ideas here.

Oh, on a personal note - if I get too obnoxious, please let me know. Perfectionists can be overbearing at times.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #263

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I am a licensed aircraft mechanic, and I worked in the aircraft engine manufacturing industry. Does anyone want to fly on a plane that's not perfect! I am a perfectionist so I appreciate any feedback on issues (perceived or not) that can be improved upon; leading to perfection!
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #264

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Another 21 in Trouble

Hi folks,
We were camping on the California coast last week when we noticed a puddle of water under the drain valves. Sure enough, the gray water drain pipe had separated from the gray water tank. It looked exactly like the picture in rjreeves original post. I think I will cut off a section of the drain pipe and install a flexible PVC coupling. I will try to remove the broken threaded ABS insert (as described by rjreeves) from the bushing on the gray water tank, install a new threaded ABS insert, and attach the coupling to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Our trailer is a 2019 Escape 21. It has a little over 6,700 miles on it.
We will call Escape tomorrow and see what they have to offer.
BlueSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #265

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Yup our Escape did the same thing and Justin gave me the run around about how I probably hit something. I did convince him to send parts and I just fixed it myself. Guess with more people calling about the issue, they will acknowledge a design flaw. Search the forum on good ways to secure the pipe. Haven't had an issue since I fixed it the correct way. Good luck.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #266

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Our new 21C has a flexible coupling between 5he tank and the outlet drain valve. Also has a flexible coupling from grey tank before the Hepvo valve to the shower drain. Of course I sent them two couplings at great ups expense.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #267

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
BTW, this tub extractor tool worked great getting broken pipe out. Got at Ace Hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
tub tool.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:10 AM   #268

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Another 21 in Trouble Followup

Thank you everyone for your comments. Good to hear the tub extractor worked well. We have an Ace just down the street.
We (meaning my wife) talked with Escape yesterday. (I can't talk anymore due to throat surgery.) Dustin got back and wanted some pictures which we sent to him. After that he said get an estimate on the repair cost and send it to him. We are still working on that part. A lot of RV places around here are booked up to May! But we may have found one that will take us in 2 weeks.
I am fairly confident I can do this repair myself, but if Escape will pay for it, then I will let a shop do it.
We let you know how it goes.
BlueSpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #269

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSpeed3 View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. Good to hear the tub extractor worked well. We have an Ace just down the street.
We (meaning my wife) talked with Escape yesterday. (I can't talk anymore due to throat surgery.) Dustin got back and wanted some pictures which we sent to him. After that he said get an estimate on the repair cost and send it to him. We are still working on that part. A lot of RV places around here are booked up to May! But we may have found one that will take us in 2 weeks.
I am fairly confident I can do this repair myself, but if Escape will pay for it, then I will let a shop do it.
It may not be worth dealing with Escape on this. The parts needed cost about $10 - I would just fix it myself. I understand that not everyone is mechanically inclined but this fix really is easy to do.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-150/100058870
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1-...D112/100346244

From past experience, I wouldn't let a RV place touch my trailer - it's amazing how incompetent some of them are! Not to mention that your trailer would be out of pocket while it's on the wait list.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #270

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSpeed3 View Post

If you want it done Right do it yourself. I am sure escape would send you the parts.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #271

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you think you can do it yourself, then that is what I would do.

Just because it is an RV place does not mean that everyone knows what they are doing.

I will mention it again...There was “a new guy” on the tractor that was moving my brother-in-laws trailer and ripped off the rear spring shackles by turning the trailer to tight...so the mechanic said. The owner of the RV dealership said no they did not do it and held the trailer hostage for an extra $250 to fix it.

Once you drop off your trailer you have no idea what they are doing with it or how secure it is.

Good luck with your fix.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #272

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
First time post, I am very interested in this thread as my wife and I have a completion date in early April for a 21 NE and are interested in getting the spray foam insulation option.

In my opinion ABS male adapters are designed for stationary structures and should not be used in mobile vehicles. Tapered Male threads are the weakest link in a vibrating / moving trailer sewer piping systems. The Canadian electrical code does not allow the use of PVC male adapters when entering a metal female threaded hub because of the expansion and contraction (moving pipe) that occurs during temperature changes. This is not exactly the same situation however the idea is the same. You have ABS piping vibrating / moving at different rates and direction than the tank, which is causing tension on the pipe and failure at the connection or the weakest link.

The electrical code solution is to use a female adapter with a metal threaded close nipple for a more robust connection (Section 12-1112). I am not sure how the metal (brass close nipple) will work with the ABS pipe and sewer water in the long term.

I am thinking of asking ETI to incorporate the female adapters combined with the metal (brass) close nipple as well as strategically placed flex couplings and pipe supports. Care would have to be taken not to over tighten and stretch or deform the female threads and use sealant as required.
Before we make the big decision on the spray foam insulation I would like to see a solution for this problem. What do you all think of this solution?
I would not touch the spray foam with a barge pole for reasons made clear by this thread. Another thing not mentioned, which I consider equally important, is that application of the foam will coat and encase your steel frame which IMHO is a deeply stupid idea. Sooner or later, the foam will separate from the frame, and the wet enclosed cavity will corrode the frame.

My advice is to not even think about having this stuff put on your trailer. As others here show how to do, insulate the relevant parts of your floor with panel foam if you want to, but keep the frame clear so that water cannot accumulate and persist against it. My wife and I do all our camping in shoulder season, often at freezing temperatures, and quite honestly, I have not bothered insulating the floor at all. A pair of slippers works admirably when needed, which is not often.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #273

I incline to agree with those concerning not getting foam. As been brought up many times by others on this forum, ETI is lacking in basic plumbing skills, which I was able to correct myself on my new trailer. You will also want to spray a good coating like POR15 on your frame to inhibit rusting. My trailer was delivered to within 4 miles of my house and was exhibiting frame and axle rusting. This I was also able to take care of myself. I insulated all the exposed water lines myself. As good as spray on for insulation value, no of course not. Easier to fix a problem. You betcha.
Others may not have problems which they will be quick to point out, or at least problems they can see.
When problems do rear their ugly head , you can bet the problems are compounded.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #274

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
I would not touch the spray foam with a barge pole for reasons made clear by this thread. Another thing not mentioned, which I consider equally important, is that application of the foam will coat and encase your steel frame which IMHO is a deeply stupid idea. Sooner or later, the foam will separate from the frame, and the wet enclosed cavity will corrode the frame.

My advice is to not even think about having this stuff put on your trailer. As others here show how to do, insulate the relevant parts of your floor with panel foam if you want to, but keep the frame clear so that water cannot accumulate and persist against it. My wife and I do all our camping in shoulder season, often at freezing temperatures, and quite honestly, I have not bothered insulating the floor at all. A pair of slippers works admirably when needed, which is not often.
We got the spray foam and are not sorry . I also do all our repairs staying away from repair shops . Our spray is not on the frame but in between . Not sure how it is being installed today . It also offers protection . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #275

Trailer: 2019 19'
Just a thought. Rather than using an RV repair facility I would feel more confident having a plumber make the fix. Even a friend with plumbing experience would do a good job. Probably just cost a case of beer.
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #276

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
My 2020 21C delivered Jan 19, 2021 came from ETI with a support for the grey tank pipe and drain valve that is screwed to the trailer frame. Is this something new?
Attached Thumbnails
20210214_090036.jpg  
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #277

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
It is certainly newer than my 2018 which has no such support. Which may change this spring...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #278

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
My 2020 21C delivered Jan 19, 2021 came from ETI with a support for the grey tank pipe and drain valve that is screwed to the trailer frame. Is this something new?
And there is another answer to why you might ask for a window cut out...or two to be shipped along with your trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #279

I have the same thing on my 21C delivered last month. It also have the flexible coupling as yours does from the tank.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:43 PM   #280

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
From the photos it does appear EFI is making some attempt to resolve the issue. When I first looked I thought that was a Aluminum bracket .After reading Ed's post and taking second look its a scrape piece of fiberglass . I would think this would flex a lot. I would think a pipe bracket or bracket from the frame would be a better salutation similar to how casita does it. Unless there intention was to make it flexible
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote