Grey tank drain line separation - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Well guys, is it recommended that when my new 21c arrives, that I put in a flexible rubber Sleeve close to 5he tank outlet to allow for movement in my grey, and fresh water tanks. I will not have the insulation.
Also use proper support pipe clamps lieu of straps.
What? Is this an admitted design flaw?
Old 09-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #62

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Well guys, is it recommended that when my new 21c arrives, that I put in a flexible rubber Sleeve close to 5he tank outlet to allow for movement in my grey, and fresh water tanks. I will not have the insulation.
Also use proper support pipe clamps lieu of straps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What? Is this an admitted design flaw?
My hope is that by saying "is it" recommended that Dcboyd is asking a question. It would be ridiculous if this was a recommendation from Escape on a new trailer.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #63

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Fortunately for me I don't like the factory foam so that won't be a problem and the foam that I installed still provides full access. I can't see dropping the gray tank would be an issue, looks pretty accessible to me.

But if height to work was an issue then I'd just roll on to the four 2" 2x10s that I use for levelling. I can't see that a hoist would ever be needed.

Ron
Ron - Does the photo show the foam you installed? I've searched for posts describing doing that but was unable to find any. I'd rather not get the spray foam, but would like to insulate the floor. Thanks!
Don
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #64

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Fortunately for me I don't like the factory foam so that won't be a problem and the foam that I installed still provides full access. I can't see dropping the gray tank would be an issue, looks pretty accessible to me.

But if height to work was an issue then I'd just roll on to the four 2" 2x10s that I use for levelling. I can't see that a hoist would ever be needed.

Ron
So is there no support in that drain line after it leaves the tank? Looks like it from the photo.
Also looks like the PEX radius bends are over bent causing flattening of the lines. May just be an optical illusion. I have to keep telling myself this is a trailer, not a commercial building project.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
My hope is that by saying "is it" recommended that Dcboyd is asking a question. It would be ridiculous if this was a recommendation from Escape on a new trailer.

Lol. Yes I meant to have a question mark after that sentence. I am asking the forum advice.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM3 View Post
Ron - Does the photo show the foam you installed? I've searched for posts describing doing that but was unable to find any. I'd rather not get the spray foam, but would like to insulate the floor. Thanks!
Don
No, that was pre foam. I used rigid foam on both my 19 and 21. The primary purpose is to insulate the floor so that it doesn't feel unduly cold when walking around with only socks when it's cold outside. Our trailer is "shoes off".

I'm not worried about travelling in cold weather which we do in Jan. and Feb. heading South. It's a weather dependent call to travel dry or not. Never had a problem.

I don't like covering up plumbing, wiring and propane lines and I sure don't like the look of the factory foam.

It's a belt and braces installation. I use foam adhesive but install the strapping as mechanical support "just in case".

Looking at the unsupported waste arm I'm thinking that I could find a use for some of my leftover pipe strapping.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
GOPR1419_resize.jpg   IMGP0027_resize.jpg   IMGP0045_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #67

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
No, that was pre foam. I used rigid foam on both my 19 and 21. The primary purpose is to insulate the floor so that it doesn't feel unduly cold when walking around with only socks when it's cold outside. Our trailer is "shoes off".

I'm not worried about travelling in cold weather which we do in Jan. and Feb. heading South. It's a weather dependent call to travel dry or not. Never had a problem.

I don't like covering up plumbing, wiring and propane lines and I sure don't like the look of the factory foam.

It's a belt and braces installation. I use foam adhesive but install the strapping as mechanical support "just in case".

Looking at the unsupported waste arm I'm thinking that I could find a use for some of my leftover pipe strapping.

Ron
That is an incredibly neat an clean installation. Hopefully I can pull it off. Our 21 arrives in Feb, and I'm doing my best to choose the proper options. This really helps.

Don
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:

Ron
Really nice job on the foam, Ron. We have a 2017 21. Did you by any chance document the sizes and cuts on each piece? If so, would you care to share? Thanks.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #69

Quote:

Ron

Beautiful job you did. Did you use regular foam board adhesive, and I recon you peeled the plastic overlay off?
Old 09-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #70

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
I like that so much better than the foam option. Great job!!
Old 09-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Really nice job on the foam, Ron. We have a 2017 21. Did you by any chance document the sizes and cuts on each piece? If so, would you care to share? Thanks.
I didn't but no worries. The measurements are easy and I measured and cut and all the pieces and they ended up being a friction fit. Just got lucky I guess. Almost thought, notice I said almost, that they fit so well that I wouldn't need adhesive. But no worries even a major cutting mistake isn't a biggie. The piece is still usable.

Quote:
Beautiful job you did. Did you use regular foam board adhesive, and I recon you peeled the plastic overlay off?
Yes, I used regular foam board adhesive. The foam is your basic Pink Owens Corning rigid foam. No overlay. I painted it black with a water base paint.

Ron
Old 09-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #72

Ron, which thickness did you go with?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I've done a ton of work and mods on my two Escapes just by sliding under them without raising them.

Viability for a specific trailer depend, of course, on model, year, presence of lifted suspension, owner's degree of claustrophobia, and size of owner's beer belly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #74

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I know Ron used 2” foam. With the 4” frame I’m sure you could do two layers and still look really clean. Did this on an older Scamp which just had the “resin impregnated” OSB floor and it seemed to help. They make Liquid Nails (link below) formulated to work with polystyrene foam if you are so inclined. No straps needed with that stuff for sure.

Here is a thread where I documented the Scamp install:
https://scampowners.com/comment/4607#comment-4607

Here is the thread when Ron documented the install on his 2014 19’:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tion-7046.html

This is the foam both Ron and I have used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...-202085962-_-N

Liquid Nails adhesive:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liquid-N...-903/100176209
Old 09-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #75

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
Pic 1: repair done.

Pic 2: Repair piece installed (pvc flex section) and ready to re-assemble to valve assembly: notice the valve assembly hanging lower than the grey tank output: once assembled this would probably be the source of the tension/compression that caused the failure of the broken ABS pipe. Raising the valve assembly to match the position of the grey tank output line would be smart except:

Pic3: the valve assembly, more specifically the black tank dump valve housing, is hanging (hanging is the appropriate word, it's hanging by plumber's tape holding it where it is, at least until the screw into the fiberglass body holding the plumber's tape fails) so close to the trailer body I cannot fit my pinkie finger between the two, so raising the assembly would create a rubbing wear point where the two meet.
Had the dump valve assembly had been installed rotated slightly downward from the horizontal output position there would be room to elevate the valve assembly by shortening the length of the plumber's tape section to achieve a better alignment of the components.
Attached Thumbnails
20200925_175804.jpg   20200925_174503.jpg   20200925_180334.jpg  

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I know Ron used 2” foam. With the 4” frame I’m sure you could do two layers and still look really clean. Did this on an older Scamp which just had the “resin impregnated” OSB floor and it seemed to help. They make Liquid Nails (link below) formulated to work with polystyrene foam if you are so inclined. No straps needed with that stuff for sure.

Here is a thread where I documented the Scamp install:
https://scampowners.com/comment/4607#comment-4607

Here is the thread when Ron documented the install on his 2014 19’:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tion-7046.html

This is the foam both Ron and I have used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...-202085962-_-N

Liquid Nails adhesive:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liquid-N...-903/100176209
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreeves View Post
Pic 1: repair done.

Pic 2: Repair piece installed (pvc flex section) and ready to re-assemble to valve assembly: notice the valve assembly hanging lower than the grey tank output: once assembled this would probably be the source of the tension/compression that caused the failure of the broken ABS pipe. Raising the valve assembly to match the position of the grey tank output line would be smart except:

Pic3: the valve assembly, more specifically the black tank dump valve housing, is hanging (hanging is the appropriate word, it's hanging by plumber's tape holding it where it is, at least until the screw into the fiberglass body holding the plumber's tape fails) so close to the trailer body I cannot fit my pinkie finger between the two, so raising the assembly would create a rubbing wear point where the two meet.
Had the dump valve assembly had been installed rotated slightly downward from the horizontal output position there would be room to elevate the valve assembly by shortening the length of the plumber's tape section to achieve a better alignment of the components.
I had somewhat the same misalignment issue and corrected with a 3" flex connector installed before the black dump valve. Would this help your alignment problem?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180316_192715.jpg   IMG_20190106_125159.jpg  
Old 09-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #78

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I had somewhat the same misalignment issue and corrected with a 3" flex connector installed before the black dump valve. Would this help your alignment problem?

Yes it will. I'll rotate the valve assembly away from the trailer body a bit more than I see in your pictures, but yes, that's what's next.

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #79

Quote:
I think I used 2" on my 19 and 1 1/2" on my 21. It has proven to be adequate.

Ron
Old 09-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I can see that a pre-existing misalignment pushed into alignment and then subject to vibrations etc. could cause fatigue and then failure at the pipe connection.

Probably a flexible connection like yours is a good idea in any line and especially where misalignment is present.

Ron