Grey tank drain line separation - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #81

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
Another grey tank leak

While filling my grey tank today to check the integrity of the repair I made what do I find? Another leak on the grey tank! This is the shower pan input, a drip about every 4 seconds. Easy enough fix if it's just improperly sealed threads but good grief.

The hits just keep coming!
Attached Thumbnails
tank.jpg  

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now I'm wondering if perhaps a poll should be started on spray on or no spray on insulation? Any comments before hand?
Old 09-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreeves View Post
While filling my grey tank today to check the integrity of the repair I made what do I find? Another leak on the grey tank! This is the shower pan input, a drip about every 4 seconds. Easy enough fix if it's just improperly sealed threads but good grief.

Heh! That's not a leak - it's the new self draining grey tank feature!

Seriously, since you're going to cut the ABS pipe to get to the threads, now would a great time to install a Hepvo valve on the shower drain. No more backsplash because you left the shower drain plug out.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #84

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreeves View Post
I hope you let Escape know about this. They need to seriously look at how they are making their connections on the black and gray tanks. Something doesn’t seem right. They should be able to lean on Northern Lite if needed to compare plumbing techniques since they are owned by the same company.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #85

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now I'm wondering if perhaps a poll should be started on spray on or no spray on insulation? Any comments before hand?
Hope you didn't hold your breath for comments. I think it would be a good idea Jim.

I showed my trailer yesterday to a couple who drove over from Maryland. They have owned two trailers one 30 feet long. They are experienced RV campers.

I told him about the gray water tank leak issue. He was able to see up close and personal the problem I am facing re: removing the tank. I told him that knowing what I know now I would never have paid $1000 for the foam insulation.

He is interested as well in how the company is going to handle this situation for owners who have the same problem. I did not have an answer to that question.

It was interesting to hear him talk because he did the same thing I did which was to lurk on the Escape owner's forum for a number of years in order to harvest information about problems specific to Escape trailers, how owners have dealt with the problems on their own, and how the company has dealt with problems as well.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #86

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I have learned so much from this discussion. Our 21C is arriving mid Dec., there is so much I will do before it ever goes on it’s first trip. Flexible joints, proper supports of piping should be things EscapeIndustries should take care of, but then it would cost the consumer more.

Really like the cleanliness of the foam board insulation, and wrapping of the PEX piping.. all easy enough to do during the mild winter months in S. TX. Just time consuming.

Hopefully will hear back from them on the additional tank support straps this week. If they won’t install them maybe they will send me a couple for me to install for a fee. If not I will manufacture my own.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
I have learned so much from this discussion. Our 21C is arriving mid Dec., there is so much I will do before it ever goes on it’s first trip. Flexible joints, proper supports of piping should be things EscapeIndustries should take care of, but then it would cost the consumer more.

Really like the cleanliness of the foam board insulation, and wrapping of the PEX piping.. all easy enough to do during the mild winter months in S. TX. Just time consuming.

Hopefully will hear back from them on the additional tank support straps this week. If they won’t install them maybe they will send me a couple for me to install for a fee. If not I will manufacture my own.
Wrapping the PEX has a second benefit other than cold protection - PEX should never be left exposed to UV light as it degrades the plastic and can cause it to burst.
pg 14. https://plasticpipe.org/pdf/pex-uv-resistance.pdf

Take a look under any 21 (except mine) and you will see exposed PEX running under the trailer.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #88

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Wrapping the PEX has a second benefit other than cold protection - PEX should never be left exposed to UV light as it degrades the plastic and can cause it to burst.
pg 14. https://plasticpipe.org/pdf/pex-uv-resistance.pdf

Take a look under any 21 (except mine) and you will see exposed PEX running under the trailer.

Are the water lines 1/2”PEX?
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Are the water lines 1/2”PEX?
Yes. Pic below before covering with foam insulation. Drain pipe cut to install Hepvo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170128_090851.jpg  
Old 09-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #90

Trailer: none
Same problem with my 2019 5.0 TA

I had the exact same issue with my 2019 5.0 TA this summer. I noticed water dripping from the connection from the bathroom sink drain line to the grey tank. I cut the line, unscrewed the sheared ABS female adapter to threaded pipe out of the spin in fitting and replaced all the piping (including putting in a flexible rubber coupling into the line). That fixed the leak. Two days later I noticed more water dripping under the RV and after investigating there is now water dripping from the ABS line exiting the grey tank AND looks like water leaking from the top of the tank when we use the kitchen sink. So, it now looks like I have had 3 of the connections that go into the grey water tank shear off. Looks like they got a deal on some cheap ABS adapters in 2019! Sorry I don't have any pictures as my RV is now in storage for the winter.
cada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #91

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Hello all,

Well, there seems to be a problem. I have the same issue on my 2019 5.0TA. Picked up our trailer in Chilliwack end May 2019 and hauled her home. My ABS gray tank drain exit line has sheared-off/separated from the gray water tank.

We live 4000 miles away from Chilliwack on the other side of Canada. I will keep a close eye on what others are experiencing. I intend on contacting the good folks at the Escape Factory this week. A few 2019 owners are have the same issues.

No time on my end to fix this issue this season. Up against the wall in this one.

Other than this plumbing matter, our trailer is working fine. We love it !! Happy travels & Cheers.
Lammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #92

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Pencil me in.

Our 2019 5.0TA is leaking where the gray water drain exit line is connected to the side of the gray water tank. Picked up the trailer in May 2019 at the factory. My leaking gray water drain pipe "issue" was first noticed in Sept 2020. Hhhmmmnn.
Lammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
After it is fixed I would say rubber connection and better attachments should take care . Even though didn’t have the same problem because shorter runs of pipes on a 19/,the one attachment originally was not a good enough attachment allowing too much movement . Thanks to Tom attached a new pipe hanger attachment and no problems even after changing out the grey tank plumbing with better valve arrangement . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #94

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
In a 5.0TA where do the drain lines for the kitchen and bathroom drains enter the tank - from above or do they go through the floor/shell and then have an elbow taking them into the tank from the side up high? If they go straight down into the tank, where can you see those connections?

Do those of you who have had various gray tank leaking issues have the spray foam insulation? I do, and it obscures being able to see much. I'm also wondering if it helps to stiffen things and dampen vibrations and minimize stress on the drain exit pipes and fittings.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #95

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I know Telescopist has the spray on insulation, not sure about the others, which now total 6-8?
Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #96

Trailer: none
Same problem with my 2019 5.0 TA

The kitchen drain goes through the floor and straight into the top of the tank. I have not taken things apart to confirm the leak, but water does come from the top of the tank when the kitchen sink is used. I don't have the spray foam insulation, so the other two leaking connections were easy to see.
cada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
After it is fixed I would say rubber connection and better attachments should take care . Even though didn’t have the same problem because shorter runs of pipes on a 19/,the one attachment originally was not a good enough attachment allowing too much movement . Thanks to Tom attached a new pipe hanger attachment and no problems even after changing out the grey tank plumbing with better valve arrangement . Pat
Thanks but you deserve the credit. I installed a pipe hanger on the 3" to the black tank valve - you came up with the idea of installing one on the 1 1/2" pipe coming out of the grey tank.

Every time I look at the pic of your install, it reminds me that I should do the same to my trailer.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post286142
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0524.jpg  
Old 09-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #98

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I wonder if this could be caused by the gray tank moving a bit while traveling. If it is partially full, or more, the force of the water sloshing back and forth would be significant and if the straps holding it in place were not completely tight and secure and allowed it to jostle then something would have to give. The rigid pipes wouldn't have any give and the fittings would break when subjected to strong sudden directional pressure.

This wouldn't be an issue for the fresh water tank since the two fittings are attached to flexible tubing that would have give in it. The black tank, being boxed by plywood on all sides inside the trailer, would be less likely to have any movement.

Just a thought....trying to figure out what would cause these issues.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There's probably some validity to that theory. Liquid in a tank does slosh back and forth and when it whacks into the somewhat flexible wall there is likely some small movement. Repeat a few thousand times and maybe a stress fracture does occur. Some tanks have internal baffles that prevent or reduce sloshing.

I've lost count of the ratio of those just with a dripping leak and those that have fractured. But there's been enough dripping to make me wonder if a pipe sealant shouldn't be used on the connection. If mine starts dripping I'll cut the waste arm, remove the pipe fitting, coat it with pipe sealant and tighten it firmly and then use a flexible coupling to rejoin the pipe.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #100
Stu

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
We have a 2019 5.0 delivered in November. The gray water tank is leaking in at least 2 places. I have contacted Escape and received the same response from Dustin.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote