Grey tank drain line separation - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 07:04 PM   #241

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Crawled under my 21 to look at the Hepvo valve they installed for the shower drain line. I was looking at it and a big chunk was out of the side of the ABS coupler. Enough that all the attaching threads of the Hepvo valve were exposed.
Removed it as it was easy to do, and repaired it.
Lol. They left 5he existing P-trap in place.

ETI plumbers need some more education.
Are you glad you did not get the spray foam so you see exactly what your dealing with?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:46 PM   #242

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Crawled under my 21 to look at the Hepvo valve they installed for the shower drain line. I was looking at it and a big chunk was out of the side of the ABS coupler. Enough that all the attaching threads of the Hepvo valve were exposed.
Removed it as it was easy to do, and repaired it.
Lol. They left 5he existing P-trap in place.

ETI plumbers need some more education.
I've had the pleasure of knowing some excellent Canadian technical people who knew their jobs well and took pride in what they do. Take a look at Jim Bennett's trailer - that is a work of art.

The only of those type people that work at Escape are the fiberglass crew and maybe the cabinet carpenters. It seems the rest have no clue as to how to do their job correctly.

It's really sad.

By the way, what happened to the quality inspection people that I kept hearing about?
Old 01-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #243

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Was an employer and held the view that employees come first, customers second because without good employees the customer index will suffer.

Take a look at employee ratings. The upper management seem to be loading better reviews, whereas the grunts offer a diametric view of the workplace.
https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Escape-Tra...ies-Lp/reviews
Old 01-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #244

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Are you glad you did not get the spray foam so you see exactly what your dealing with?

Most definitely glad I did not get foam. In my industry, an indication of what you can see is an indication of what you can’t see.

I also replaced the propane tank base with more substantial self tapping screws.
One was already twisted off, head setting in tray. Had to drill it out. Repainted both tray and frame, put VHB tape on top of frame between set tray and refastened.
Also replaced inbound stabilization jack screws with SS Bolts and lock washers.
Not bad for first 2 days.
Also ironed on 2” real oak tape around all dinette and bed platform edges to get rid of the exposed plywood look.

To fix the bed framing is next. Going to get rid of the open web design structure. Lol.
Put a real structure under it.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #245

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I've had the pleasure of knowing some excellent Canadian technical people who knew their jobs well and took pride in what they do. Take a look at Jim Bennett's trailer - that is a work of art.

The only of those type people that work at Escape are the fiberglass crew and maybe the cabinet carpenters. It seems the rest have no clue as to how to do their job correctly.

It's really sad.

By the way, what happened to the quality inspection people that I kept hearing about?
That's pretty harsh and IMHO not accurate.
Sure there are some issues like any trailer manufacturer but on the whole Escape builds a dam good trailer. I looked at many stick builds before we bought our 21 and you can tell just from looking around in them at the dealer lot for a 1/2 hour that Escapes are built much better then any stick built we looked at.
Just because some people on the forum are having problems with some sloppy work does not mean obviously that every Escape is built that way.
There are a lot more people who never have any problems, or minor ones, they just don't post much.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #246

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
There are a lot more people who never have any problems, or minor ones, they just don't post much.

And, in my case have quit posting almost entirely. Seems there is a small group that take pleasure in nit-picking and bragging about their superiority.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #247

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
That's pretty harsh and IMHO not accurate.
Sure there are some issues like any trailer manufacturer but on the whole Escape builds a dam good trailer. I looked at many stick builds before we bought our 21 and you can tell just from looking around in them at the dealer lot for a 1/2 hour that Escapes are built much better then any stick built we looked at.
Just because some people on the forum are having problems with some sloppy work does not mean obviously that every Escape is built that way.
There is no doubt that the Escape trailers are better built than a stick build. That is a fairly low standard to achieve.

Are you saying that Escape doesn't hide wire splices in the trailer walls? Or that the Escape trailers meet current electrical and plumbing codes? Good luck with that.

And back to DCboyd's trailer. That busted ABS fitting was known when the tech put the Hepvo in - but he walked away from it anyway and let it ship like that. When mistakes are that obvious and not corrected, then it makes you wonder what kind of other problems are there that are hidden.

DCboyd seems to be going down the same path I went four years ago. I started finding stuff that wasn't right and fixed them. Is my trailer more reliable than most Escapes at this point - I think so. Is it perfect, not yet.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
There is no doubt that the Escape trailers are better built than a stick build. That is a fairly low standard to achieve.

Are you saying that Escape doesn't hide wire splices in the trailer walls? Or that the Escape trailers meet current electrical and plumbing codes? Good luck with that. I don't like that there are low voltage splices hidden behind walls and I assume that Escape does meet the required code for trailers. It would probably be better if a respectful letter was sent to Escape to ask them about these issues and see what there response is. I would be interested to hear their response.

And back to DCboyd's trailer. That busted ABS fitting was known when the tech put the Hepvo in - but he walked away from it anyway and let it ship like that. When mistakes are that obvious and not corrected, then it makes you wonder what kind of other problems are there that are hidden. I cant picture the problem and assumed that the damage happened afterwards, like from road debris? Not sure.

DCboyd seems to be going down the same path I went four years ago. I started finding stuff that wasn't right and fixed them. Is my trailer more reliable than most Escapes at this point - I think so. Is it perfect, not yet.
I'm just saying that this comment, "It seems the rest have no clue as to how to do their job correctly," is harsh and obviously not true. Escape is like most business's where most people work hard and do their best.
Good luck with the perfection thing, it's good to have a goal but that is a tough one.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #249

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Seems there is a small group that take pleasure in nit-picking and bragging about their superiority.
Or maybe just some accomplished technical people with some constructive criticism that also enjoy sharing their improvements with others that may benefit? I don't think it is too much to ask of Escape to examine their plumbing and electrical practices. Any good company should always be looking for where they can improve. A couple things that I've seen mentioned are open plumbing vents in the trailer, black water overflowing into gray tanks, issues with tank fittings leaking and buried electrical connections. We don't have any of these issues (except the buried elec connections) but some do and some simple changes can make a big difference in the end product without adding cost to the trailer. This forum with its modifications, problem solving and continual feedback on their product (both good and bad) is free R&D and Escape should be thankful for it. I don't think that current buyers would be getting the trailers they are today without much of the feedback that has been generated here and either directly or indirectly relayed to Escape.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #250

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Fluff talk has never been helpful on here. There is supposed to be no connection to ETI and we should be free to discuss honestly with no regard to company sales, etc.
When folks that have expertise reveal problems with construction, it gives me a direction to look for making improvements. Unfortunately, I do find many of the issues pointed out, but I fix them so they won’t cause problems going forward. I greatly appreciate those folks and their input.
I hope ETI is listening as well and bringing expertise on board to address the issues. They have been a good company with a good product and will only get better if they listen and address these base issues.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #251

I am not being super critical, so don’t take it that way. The trailer was delivered to within 4 miles of my home, so it does have 4 miles on the wheels at this time.
From everyone’s experiences on this forum I have done the following in last 3 days.

Strengthen leading edge of solar panel to prevent buckling do to excessive wind loading.
Strengthening stabilization Jack screws. Replaced with SS oversized self tappers, bolts inbound.

Repaired propane base and replaced broken screw. Repainted and added VHB tape to separate metals.

Added brake drum rubber dust inserts.
Repaired Hepvo valve fitting. This was , I recon the only needed item.
Added larger front sight level so it’s visible when backing up.
Added bug screens as per tdf-Tx. Thanks, fit like a glove. Mud dobbers terrible here.

Plus many other personal convenience items. And many to go.

Haven’t looked at electrical yet. Just looked under dinette. No splices, all dressed and loomed. ETI has been paying attention to y’all. Very clean.

They did put a proper battery cutoff in the settee locker with key. Cant bump it with your legs.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #252

I appreciate all the knowledgeable people on this forum and have benefited a lot from them.
I don't think we can assume that Escape reads every post here.
I would really like to know their response to questions about the electrical or plumbing code and if they follow them or not. I do not have the knowledge to ask the right questions or have the proper response to any answers.
I think it would be more productive at some point to get answers from Escape.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #253

Quote:
And, in my case have quit posting almost entirely. Seems there is a small group that take pleasure in nit-picking and bragging about their superiority.
I was wondering why I haven't seen you post lately. I miss your humorous responses. Seriously. 😁
Old 01-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #254

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Fluff talk has never been helpful on here. There is supposed to be no connection to ETI and we should be free to discuss honestly with no regard to company sales, etc.
When folks that have expertise reveal problems with construction, it gives me a direction to look for making improvements. Unfortunately, I do find many of the issues pointed out, but I fix them so they won’t cause problems going forward. I greatly appreciate those folks and their input.
I hope ETI is listening as well and bringing expertise on board to address the issues. They have been a good company with a good product and will only get better if they listen and address these base issues.
Well said and Thankyou Greg ! 👍🏻👍🏻Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #255

Quote:
I was wondering why I haven't seen you post lately. I miss your humorous responses. Seriously. 😁
Me too Glenn ! I was scared you were not well ! Good to see you again keeping us all honest ! Pat
Old 01-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #256

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Me too Glenn ! I was scared you were not well ! Good to see you again keeping us all honest ! Pat

Thank you.
I'm finding as my trailer ( and I ) age, we have less to contribute.
FWIW, my trailer is 12 years old and the stabilizers and propane tank tray have not fallen off.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #257

Quote:
Thank you.
I'm finding as my trailer ( and I ) age, we have less to contribute.
FWIW, my trailer is 12 years old and the stabilizers and propane tank tray have not fallen off.
Never Glenn , we always need words of wisdom ! Pat
Old 01-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #258

I take everyone’s input to heart. I am still agile at my young age of 73 and enjoy piddling on things. Especially since I have been ordered to downsize. Sold 31’ Airstream in Sept, sold Harley Road King in June. Kids insisted. Harvey took my sailboat of 38 years a couple years ago. So I love to do upgrades whether needed or not. Lol.
Oh, got my license plate today. Took about 45 minutes total as the lady had to work through it. Painless enough considering what others report 5hey had to go through.
Also stopped by Discount tire and got full warranty on tires for 56.00.
Good day.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #259

What is done to keep mud robbers out of upper refrigerator vent and Dometic roof AC?
All I can visualize is a cover of some sort.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #260

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Is it because they are all welded on like ours?