Gumption trap..... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Gumption trap.....

Well I hit one today. Went to winterize the trailer, hooked up the bypass hose and turn on pump,,,,,,nothing. We had camped with hookups coming home from pickup so we never tried the pump. My mistake....Not sure if I should order another pump, it looks pretty confined in that area to be working.....Called and left message with ETI......
Old 11-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #2

Why doesn't Escape test these trailers after completion, but before delivery? It seems a lot of issues could be eliminated with a simple 15 minute system check upon completion.....I'm dead in the water, so to speak.....
Old 11-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #3

Here is the definition of "Gumption Trap" as relayed in "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" novel.....An event or mindset that can cause a person to lose enthusiasm and become discouraged from starting or continuing a project.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Have you tried the fix that Reace talked about in Escape’s water pump video?

……..or you could just buy #6 (I’m kidding!!)
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
ETI will not replace your defective pump. You will need to deal directly with Shurflo by emailing them at this address:

RVreturns@pentair.com

You will need pictures of your pump as well as a picture of your trailer's certificate of origin. Both showing the date of manufacture.

My warranty experience with Pentair was a positive one. They promptly shipped me a new pump and told me to scrap the defective one.
Replacing the pump was not a difficult task.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Have you tried the fix that Reace talked about in Escape’s water pump video?

……..or you could just buy #6 (just kidding!!)
Reace's video is about an older model as he has not been at ETI for maybe 2 years at least?
Old 11-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #7

I just hate having to jump through all these hoops for a brand new model picked up less than 6 months ago.....frustrating to say the least!
Old 11-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Does the pump need to be primed?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
When you say you turned on the pump and nothing, do you mean it didn’t draw water from the tank or that it wouldn’t even power up?
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Is power on? did you check fuses?

If you have multi meter check to see that you have power at the pump.

These pumps are pretty reliable, you could have gotten a bad one I guess but I would suspect it's something else.

I bought a new 120V version a while back and it had a bit of water in it so it had been tested at the factory.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #11

The pump never operated, like it has no power....getting my multimeter as I type and will report back with test results.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Is power on? did you check fuses?

If you have multi meter check to see that you have power at the pump.
The red light on the panel is on for power to the pump, but nothing is pumping. Getting my multimeter now....
Old 11-08-2022, 03:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Yeah, it seems more likely that you got some bad wiring than you got a bad pump but you never know until you find out.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The red light on the panel is on for power to the pump, but nothing is pumping. Getting my multimeter now....
Hey Jim
If you have power to the switch and no power to the pump you might check for the presence of an inline fuse wired into the pump wiring pigtail. Our 21 has one. Maybe yours does too. Good luck.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-08-2022, 09:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Jim
If you have power to the switch and no power to the pump you might check for the presence of an inline fuse wired into the pump wiring pigtail. Our 21 has one. Maybe yours does too. Good luck.
Iowa Dave
I just installed a Shurflo accumulator tank in our new 21 NE. I had to remove the Shurflo pump to position the tank. I didn't see an inline fuse wired into the pump wiring pigtail. I did find about a foot of extension cable on the negative side, attached with 2 butt-end connectors. The connector at the end of the extension cable closest to the pump was poorly crimped. The extension cable pulled out from the connector with little effort. I didn't have to cut the negative cable to take the pump out.

Given the information I've gathered from this forum and from my personal experience with the 21 NE since we picked it up in May, I chose to purchase an extra pump (same model) in the event that the factory-installed pump fails. $74 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As to working under the bed, I would say that quarters are indeed very cramped. My shoulders felt it.

Pentair has a multitude of divisions. For Shurflo technical support, try 800-854-3218. I called them about the compatibility between the NSPM threaded male ports on the pump and the NPT female connectors on their flexible hoses.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Show some gumption

Most.....but not all problems with electrical devices are issues of poor, inadequate or lost connections. That's JUST my opinion and experience. I'd almost bet the farm that the pump itself is OK. The rest of the system wiring....I ain't there to mess with it, so no insights with that.

It is indeed disheartening to have any issue with a new acquisition. We've all had that experience. My only advice, as always, is WORK THE PROBLEM. Take a deep breath, shake your head 2, maybe 3 times, and have a go at it. That lame advice doesn't ALWAYS work, but it often does.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Most.....but not all problems with electrical devices are issues of poor, inadequate or lost connections. That's JUST my opinion and experience. I'd almost bet the farm that the pump itself is OK. The rest of the system wiring....I ain't there to mess with it, so no insights with that.

It is indeed disheartening to have any issue with a new acquisition. We've all had that experience. My only advice, as always, is WORK THE PROBLEM. Take a deep breath, shake your head 2, maybe 3 times, and have a go at it. That lame advice doesn't ALWAYS work, but it often does.
I’ll have to agree with you Tom on the “Take a deep breath. And then dive in. Sometimes sometimes logical thinking works and sometimes careful observation let’s you see the problem or detect it by wiggling a wire. The meter is your friend.
You’ll figure it out Jim, don’t give up.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
I just installed a Shurflo accumulator tank in our new 21 NE. I had to remove the Shurflo pump to position the tank. I didn't see an inline fuse wired into the pump wiring pigtail. I did find about a foot of extension cable on the negative side, attached with 2 butt-end connectors. The connector at the end of the extension cable closest to the pump was poorly crimped. The extension cable pulled out from the connector with little effort. I didn't have to cut the negative cable to take the pump out.

Given the information I've gathered from this forum and from my personal experience with the 21 NE since we picked it up in May, I chose to purchase an extra pump (same model) in the event that the factory-installed pump fails. $74 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As to working under the bed, I would say that quarters are indeed very cramped. My shoulders felt it.

Pentair has a multitude of divisions. For Shurflo technical support, try 800-854-3218. I called them about the compatibility between the NSPM threaded male ports on the pump and the NPT female connectors on their flexible hoses.
A spare pump sounds like a good practice.

I'm curious about connectors. Wanting to add an accumulator.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Sounds like time to just order a new one..... Trailer that is!
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:14 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why doesn't Escape test these trailers after completion, but before delivery? It seems a lot of issues could be eliminated with a simple 15 minute system check upon completion.....I'm dead in the water, so to speak.....
The day I received my June 2022 trailer I turned on the water pump and about a quart of water came out of the taps. This was prior to me ever adding water to the fresh tank or connecting to city water.
Led me to believe that some sort of test of the plumbing system had taken place at ETI.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote